LPG (Propane).

Yorky

Fullritis Member
The last time that we changed the 15 kg gas bottle I recorded the date (first time I've done that). It was 2nd June 2021. That bottle ran out today. I believe that the current price is around ฿400.00/bottle (I shall find out tomorrow) which makes it a very efficient and cheap source of energy in my opinion.

I'm guessing that the majority of members use LPG for cooking at least?

The last time that we changed the 15 kg gas bottle I recorded the date (first time I've done that). It was 2nd June 2021. That bottle ran out today. I believe that the current price is around ฿400.00/bottle (I shall find out tomorrow) which makes it a very efficient and cheap source of energy in my opinion.

The Thai kitchen in the new house has both LPG and electric. I and the boss ( ;;beaten;; ) are happy with that.

The Thai kitchen in the new house has both LPG and electric. I and the boss ( ;;beaten;; ) are happy with that.

Will you keep the gas bottle(s) inside or outside? Maybe I'm paranoid but I keep both the working bottle and the spare outside. I spent 6 years of my working life living in a mobile home.

I pay 400 baht a bottle. Unlike @Yorky, we use one bottle every 4 months. The gas stove is the primary equipment for cooking, although we also have a microwave, a convection oven, and an electric rice cooker. We are also a family of 4, not 2.

All gas bottles are kept outside at our house, and that's where all of the cooking happens as well. We have a microwave but it basically just warms things up or gets me quick coffee in the morning, and we hardly ever use the oven/stove in the kitchen.

The rice cooker is used daily, always.

The rice cooker is used daily, always.

Friends in the UK don't believe that the essential kitchen appliance here is an electric rice cooker.

Many years ago I was asked if I could assist a local young couple to move "house" with my pick up.

The belongings consisted of a thin mattress, a metal frame and cloth wardrobe, clothes, a floor standing fan, a rice cooker and a very large stuffed teddy bear.

Did you record the cost of that gas bottle back in 2021?

I recall getting a 15kg filled in June 2021--฿250 in Sangkha.
You were lucky, I don't think we have seen that price in a long time. @Yorky says it was ฿380.00 a year ago, while I think I was paying ฿340.00 rising to ฿360.00. This year ฿400.00 seems the norm.

Will you keep the gas bottle(s) inside or outside? Maybe I'm paranoid but I keep both the working bottle and the spare outside. I spent 6 years of my working life living in a mobile home.
Absolutely correct. In Australia the cylinder can't be even under the eaves outside.

Gas used for cooking with an electric hob used during peak sun and as a backup. Big fight with the builder and the family when I wanted the tanks to live outside.

It was claimed that gas tanks spontaneously explode if kept outside. The tanks are under a roof but catch the morning sun until about 10am.

20210413_121529416_iOS.jpg

Photo 12-4-22 08 12 05.jpg

Gas used for cooking with an electric hob used during peak sun and as a backup. Big fight with the builder and the family when I wanted the tanks to live outside.

It was claimed that gas tanks spontaneously explode if kept outside. The tanks are under a roof but catch the morning sun until about 10am.

View attachment 49362

View attachment 49361
Going hi tech with the digital thermometor mate---Fluke ?
Iv'e been a boilermaker for 45 years and never seen a gas bottle/ tank spontainiously ignite.
On the first day of my apprenticeship, our instructor asked, " What steps do you take if your gas bottle ignites ?."
The correct answer is, " Big ones and lots of them ."

View attachment 49362

View attachment 49361
There is absolutely no harm to be done with a gas bottle in the elements. Although be warned, heat from the sun will destroy the innards of those regulators. Placing a pot plant holder on them is all that is required. Shaded and ventilated.

Going hi tech with the digital thermometor mate---Fluke ?
Iv'e been a boilermaker for 45 years and never seen a gas bottle/ tank spontainiously ignite.
On the first day of my apprenticeship, our instructor asked, " What steps do you take if your gas bottle ignites ?."
The correct answer is, " Big ones and lots of them ."
During my time in the RAF, I was responsible for the production, filling, and storage of gas bottles too. To support the RAF bases, we had a depot with thousands and thousands of bottles stored in the open. Even on an Italian Base in Sardinia, where the bottles were stored unshaded, we never lost a bottle by an explosion. During my time in Sardinia, we successfully requested the provision of shaded storage to offer better storage conditions. Growing Pot plants to provide shade was not an option. :)

During my time in the RAF, I was responsible for the production, filling, and storage of gas bottles too. To support the RAF bases, we had a depot with thousands and thousands of bottles stored in the open. Even on an Italian Base in Sardinia, where the bottles were stored unshaded, we never lost a bottle by an explosion. During my time in Sardinia, we successfully requested the provision of shaded storage to offer better storage conditions. Growing Pot plants to provide shade was not an option. :)
On Groote, all our cylinders, Oxy, Acetaline, Propane and inert gasses were segregated, bunded and had automated deluge systems in place under a very expansive awning.

We waited until after Songkhran to order. It was ฿385.00 delivered.

[My wife was concerned that the dust cap was not a tight fit and gas may escape!]

Back