Metal or Fiberglas Entry Door

mario299

Surin Founding Father
Termites have gotten into one of the sidelite jambs of our entry door so I'm looking at replacing and changing the style from a single with 2 sidelites to a double door, and I would be most interested if anyone here has any experience with obtaining either steel or fiberglas doors?

I have sufficient experience in door and jamb replacements that it will be a DYI for the install, but am running into language difficulties in getting info from places like IQ by using my wife as the question-asker.

Anyone out there have steel or fiberglas doors, or am I doomed to use wood again? I realize the likelihood of finding a metal or fiberglas jamb are slim, but the less wood, the better.

Any help?

mario299

I have metal frames and windows but wooden frames and doors. Given what I know now of availability of PVC in Thailand, I would go that way. Atb is the man to ask.

We have steel thats pvc coated double sliding doors which includes the frame in our home. Bought at Home Pro Surin. Excellent product. Drop by and check out the doors and the ranch.
Also IMHO do not past by any of the DIYS in Surin in they all have there good points and bad points. Personally I recommend GlobalHouse above the others.

Last edited:
We have steel thats pvc coated double sliding doors which includes the frame in our home. Bought at Home Pro Surin. Excellent product. Drop by and check out the doors and the ranch.
Also IMHO do not past by any of the DIYS in Surin in they all have there good points and bad points. Personally I recommend GlobalHouse above the others.

Whether it be Global House or Thai Watsadu, avoid the lunch breaks. Despite huindreds of staff milling around doing nothing (and largely knowing nothing) apart from the women powdering their noses, and everyone else staring into their mobile phones , you will invariably find the one and only person who is familiar with what you want has just gone for lunch -or in a worst case scenario, has the day off..

Last time I sourced a product at Global and went to the counter in Buriram to pay, (delivery needed) everyone had gone to eat and we were asked to come back in an hour. Went next door to IQ and found something far better and cheaper, with excellent service.

IQ Modern Trade used to carry a range of steel security doors with steel frames. Try there if you want steel.Oops! Look like you have been there already. Not seen any fibre-glass doors in Thailand.

We want to change to double doors, opening out, so sliding doors haven't been what we've been thinking. We kind of want to stay with the present look...doors with glass...so I guess I'm looking at some leg work to find what we (she) wants.

I do want to see the chicken ranch though, so a trip down isn't out of the question. I'm here about another month, and don't have to do any more extensions with immigration, but I'll call for directions.image.jpeg

We want to change to double doors, opening out, so sliding doors haven't been what we've been thinking. We kind of want to stay with the present look...doors with glass...so I guess I'm looking at some leg work to find what we (she) wants.

I do want to see the chicken ranch though, so a trip down isn't out of the question. I'm here about another month, and don't have to do any more extensions with immigration, but I'll call for directions.View attachment 13584

They did have a year back pvc coated steel frames for your requirements in HP. As for the doors you will have to look about.

I have metal frames and windows but wooden frames and doors. Given what I know now of availability of PVC in Thailand, I would go that way. Atb is the man to ask.

Thanks Y, we did the same as you with windows when we built in 2008, aluminum frames, and doors and frames "had to be" wood. Live and learn I suppose. I'll do some more leg-work on my own, but your suggestion of a PM to Alan is also a very good idea. Thanks!

Last edited:
They did have a year back pvc coated steel frames for your requirements in HP. As for the doors you will have to look about.

Thanks, getting a steel frame is a step in the right direction so I'll look into HomePro for sure. I'm doubtful that we can get what we (she) wants entirely in steel, so we will probably end up with wood doors in the end.

Originally my windows, doors and all frames were wood. After a few years it was not advisable to open some windows as they would never close again. I changed the windows to aluminium about 10 years ago (but leaving the old wooden frames in place). They've been pretty good since then. You may have noticed that we've recently had the front doors replaced; I really prefer the wood for those.

http://surinfarang.com/forum/attachments/front-doors-jpg.13583/

Ok I would look around all the local builder shops IQ Home mart and Home Pro .for more advise please post a few pics of your door , also be carfull if these termites are in the door frame they may also be in other parts of your home .
Replacing the lot with UPVC is very good and I have a great contact BUT not cheap .
Also I have a great Aluminuim guy maybe change them for Aluminium .
Are your Windows all wood ?
Do you have wood floors or built in furnishings ?
First thing you need to do is buy some Chaindrite liquid and apply to infected areas ASAP .
Cheers now

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

9e8b622c140c3e6c3c0e93c7da6ac9e8.jpg

We treat all wood with this before we fit to the house .

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Ok I would look around all the local builder shops IQ Home mart and Home Pro .for more advise please post a few pics of your door , also be carfull if these termites are in the door frame they may also be in other parts of your home .
Replacing the lot with UPVC is very good and I have a great contact BUT not cheap .
Also I have a great Aluminuim guy maybe change them for Aluminium .
Are your Windows all wood ?
Do you have wood floors or built in furnishings ?
First thing you need to do is buy some Chaindrite liquid and apply to infected areas ASAP .
Cheers now

Thanks Alan, not much other wood in the house other than doors, windows are all aluminum frame, floors are ceramic tile. I'll get some Chaindrite to apply where they are now while I look for different doors and frames.

mario299
image.jpeg

Maybe if you treat the doors and frames you'll be ok .don't forget to treat under the doors and on top .
you can get clear colour.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I meant to do an update earlier, but things got a little busy. We were not able to find metal doors or frames but did find a PVC frame that bugs shouldn't eat, and went through Home Pro to get the new double doors, hardware, frame, paint, Chaindrite and stain. Excellent service all around, with a promise to have the doors ready for me to put in before I left 7/18/2016.

As D-Day grew closer with no new doors in sight, we got a little nervous about whether I would have the time to install them and called one of our Thai friends that has done several different projects for us...just in case. Very good thing we did, as the doors got there 3 days before I had to leave.

With the exception of Home Pro not being able to meet my timing, our experience with them was excellent, the doors are very nice and everything else was perfect. I will do my best to attach the finished job.image.jpeg

What size are the doors Mario (h x w)?

I see, like me, you had a Hobbit fit the handles.

Back