Mumbo Jumbo Crap and local superstitions.

Rice

Resident Smart Arse
I should of been writing these down over the years as I had heard them. I have been wracking my brain. Here are but a few. I have heard all of these in the local villages over time. Maybe others can add some.

If you drink whisky and eat Durian you will die. The heat will build up and kill you.

If women pick herbs in the garden while she has her period. The herbs will die.

If you place a sarong on a male Papaya plant it will turn female.

If you pat your Papaya trees under a full moon, you will get a lot of fruit.

If women eat cheese, it will cause vaginal thrush.

Don’t eat chicken when you have a sore throat. The chicken will peck at your throat.

If you get an eyebrow twitch, something bad will occur.

If you hear the crow call your name. Your dead buddy!

Never travel at night on a new moon, it brings bad luck.

Don’t urinate against trees as a bad ghost may live there, the ghost will push you down and break your neck.

If you get an itchy palm, money will go away, but if your palm peels skin, money will come.

The evergreen perennial ‘Don’t buy a used car’ As the car might of killed someone, now the ghost resides in the back seat, just waiting to do you harm.

Ask your better half anyone of these anecdotes, as it will prove amusing and you might hear more. I am sure I have heard hundreds, just that I can't remember them of hand.

Count the number of times a Tookay says "tookay". if it's 7+ it means good luck. Only 4 and death is imminent close by.

Don't eat chicken or drink beer when you have redeye.
Do drink Thai whiskey when you have redeye.
There is a special grass that you can buy in the city market that will make your "pussy" tighter after you boil the grass and drink the water. (I am planting 2 rai of it).

If you go to the temple at night, put your head between your own legs and look behind, you'll see all the ghosts walking about.

I got told that cracker years ago.

Thanks Rice, my wife told me about that story and I wasn't sure whether to believe her.

Don't eat chicken or drink beer when you have redeye.
Do drink Thai whiskey when you have redeye.
There is a special grass that you can buy in the city market that will make your "pussy" tighter after you boil the grass and drink the water. (I am planting 2 rai of it).

How soon can you harvest it?:smile:

A birth mark on a baby is a sure sign he or she has been reincarnated and is someone you once knew.

If you go to the temple at night, put your head between your own legs and look behind, you'll see all the ghosts walking about.

I got told that cracker years ago.

If you fall overboard a ship at sea and you do not hear 3 long blasts of the ships whistle, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.....this is a fact!!!

If you fall overboard a ship at sea and you do not hear 3 long blasts of the ships whistle, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.....this is a fact!!!

Falling overboard and watching that ship sail off without you would be one of the worse ways to go IMO. Stood on the Bridge wing in the middle of the night, always use to freak myself out thinking about that shit.

Yes, I can understand that feeling too. Once upon a time I came down from Northern Norway on a flat-bottomed ro-ro ferry with some 700 fellow servicemen after the winter exercises. We had a Force 9 gale for most of the three day passage and the seas were truly mountainous and the ship was being tossed like a cork going down the rapids. Scary to think that if one went overboard that was it.

Switch off your mobile phone during thunderstorms. Has any one died for not doing this in Thailand?????

This one is just a universal urban myth.

But the Thais do believe you must cover your gold up or risk being struck by lightning.
I have a better idea. Don't stand out in the open during a thunderstorm.

This one is just a universal urban myth.

But the Thais do believe you must cover your gold up or risk being struck by lightning.
I have a better idea. Don't stand out in the open during a thunderstorm.

A bush in my garden was struck by lightning and caught fire. And only last month a lightning strike buggered up my AIS booster (no doubt via the external antenna albeit shrouded in a plastic casing)

A bush in my garden was struck by lightning and caught fire. And only last month a lightning strike buggered up my AIS booster (no doubt via the external antenna albeit shrouded in a plastic casing)

You are quite right, Nick lightning is far more severe in Thailand. 4 houses ago, one of my cows ( not the ex-wife unfortunately) got hit by lightning in Surin

Last edited:
Back