Mumbo Jumbo Crap and local superstitions.

On 15th October (the day before the lottery), some 10 women from my village insisted on coming in to our garden to "inspect" a tree, which they felt sure held the answer to the winning lottery number.

They all said they saw the same number, and duly spent money they had borrowed to buy the said number.

IT DULY LOST! Moon2Grin_Jump1Crazy1LMAO1

You should have charged them 100 baht admission per person for use of the magic tree.

I bought a bed and had it delivered and put together. When I told them where to put it they looked out the window and were deep in thought for a few minutes then asked to talk to my wife. Come to find out I was asking them to put it in the the direction that dead people lay or something. Of course I told them I didn't give a crap and made them put it where I said.

That's an interesting one SJ which way was that. Muslims place towards Mecca, Some Christians east some West. But Buddhists if they bury, I don't think there is a rule. That I have heard of anyway.

I bought a bed and had it delivered and put together. When I told them where to put it they looked out the window and were deep in thought for a few minutes then asked to talk to my wife. Come to find out I was asking them to put it in the the direction that dead people lay or something. Of course I told them I didn't give a crap and made them put it where I said.

Joe, you will burn in Hell :smile:

I was told there were 2 directions that the bed could face - I didn't give a toss because because I was happy with either.

I found this in Wiki - Thai Architecture

"Furniture is sparse and includes a bed platform, dining table and loose cushions for sitting. Sleeping areas are set up so that the beds are aligned with the shorter end of the room (as sleeping parallel with the length is similar to lying in a coffin). The direction that the head points towards can never be the west as that is the position bodies are laid in before cremation"

I found this in Wiki - Thai Architecture

"Furniture is sparse and includes a bed platform, dining table and loose cushions for sitting. Sleeping areas are set up so that the beds are aligned with the shorter end of the room (as sleeping parallel with the length is similar to lying in a coffin). The direction that the head points towards can never be the west as that is the position bodies are laid in before cremation"

Whilst we remain alive it will always be before our cremation!

Utter bollocks!

The beds in my home are where it is most practical to place them! Fortunately my wife does not believe all this crap. Nor Feng Shui.

[/B][/U]

Whilst we remain alive it will always be before our cremation!

Utter bollocks!

The beds in my home are where it is most practical to place them! Fortunately my wife does not believe all this crap. Nor Feng Shui.

I'm pretty sure they mean the direction you are laid in the coffin after you are dead and before cremation. Luckily my wife doesn't believe in any of that crap either and thinks most Thais are crazy.

Watching the missus watching Thai tv yesterday and she explained a story that was on the news. It seems that there are certain people out there that can just touch you then you will have to do whatever they say like hand over all your valuables. It happened to a Thai lady on a bus on the news. The missus then went on to tell me how her brother in law was touched slightly on the arm on a bus and then handed over his gold and all his money, he came to his senses about 2 hours later and remembered doing it but unable to explain why.

Watching the missus watching Thai tv yesterday and she explained a story that was on the news. It seems that there are certain people out there that can just touch you then you will have to do whatever they say like hand over all your valuables. It happened to a Thai lady on a bus on the news. The missus then went on to tell me how her brother in law was touched slightly on the arm on a bus and then handed over his gold and all his money, he came to his senses about 2 hours later and remembered doing it but unable to explain why.

LMAO1LMAO1LMAO1LMAO1

A wonderful excuse, when you have just used your gold to pay off gambling debts, or have gifted to your mia noi!

I have heard of this so called black magic before. I go along with Nicks explanation of it.

That's an interesting one SJ which way was that. Muslims place towards Mecca, Some Christians east some West. But Buddhists if they bury, I don't think there is a rule. That I have heard of anyway.

The have a rule and it relates to laying out the dead, nothing about burial. The crematory at the wat will lay out the deceased with the head facing west.

If you really want to get excited, try these considerations:-

20. Rules for Positioning Beds

HOUSEHOLD FENG-SHUI

Written by Living Buddha Lian-sheng, Sheng-yen Lu

Translated by Janny Chow

20. Rules for Positioning Beds

Page 79 in my book Ti Ling Hsien Tsung [Earth Magic and Spirit] begins the chapter `The Placement of Beds` where I recorded Taoist Master Ch寛ng Chen旧 following instructions:

Avoid having a strong beam pressing down on the bed.
Be able to see the door when lying in bed.
Avoid having the bed directly facing the door.

In this chapter, I shall explain these rules in detail.

1) Avoid having a strong beam pressing down on the bed.
Above the bed, there should not be any steel reinforced concrete beams, transverse or parallel. Wooden beams are not good either. Pipes for air conditioning or heating should also be avoided. It is also not good to have beds under staircases. In brief, it is best not to have anything directly above the bed. Deliberately installing canopy-type decorations above one旧 bed invites trouble. Once the feeling of oppression is generated, ill influences result.

2) Be able to see the door when lying in bed.
When we are lying in bed, we must be able to see the bedroom door. The bed is in a correct orientation when we are able to see the door without straining or contorting. Some people place the head of the bed against the wall that has the door, and when they sleep, they face away from the door. This is an incorrect orientation. Sleeping with one旧 back to the door has ill effects on one旧 health.

3) Avoid having the bed directly facing the door.
When a bed faces the door, chi entering the room rushes straight toward the bed. The best position for the head of a bed is the corner diagonal from the door. It is ominous to place a bed directly facing the door. When chi first enters a room, it has not yet settled down and such strong chi can be harmful.

I would like to add a few more points. Firstly, do not arbitrarily install skylights in the ceiling above the bed. Secondly, the head of the bed must rest against a solid wall. The wall against which the bed leans should not have a window directly above the head of the bed. To rest against a solid wall is to have support. Sleeping in a bed directly under a window may have ill influences on one旧 health and wealth.

I once performed a feng-shui reading for a household whose family members all slept in beds placed in the center of their rooms. This kind of placement is inappropriate. Without walls for support, one feels `insubstantial,` as if one is `floating in the air.` Such bed placement will in fact lead a person旧 career to become ungrounded and `insubstantial.`

Is it also necessary to orient the bed according to one旧 magnetic birth orientation (based on the twelve Earth Branches directions)? I have already addressed this in the book Ti Ling Hsien Tsung. The ideal situation is for the main door of one旧 home to be in an orientation compatible with the magnetic birth orientation of the owner and for the bed to also be oriented appropriately following the twelve Earth Branches directions. However, due to the constraints in the rules for positioning a bed it is often impossible to orient the bed according to the twelve Earth Branches directions. Therefore, in this situation, I feel that one does not have to adhere rigidly to these particular positioning rules. There are many other reasons as well.

I previously stated the following: `Some geomancers believe they must take the magnetic birth orientation into account in positioning the bed. The result is an awkward looking, ill-placed bed with unusable working space. It is irrational to sleep in such a bed. A bed positioned so that its four sides are facing corners may even invite noxious chi, grave injuries, and possible death. It is therefore erroneous to claim that one must always orient the bed according to one旧 magnetic birth orientation.`

I have, for example, seen quite a few unusual bedrooms:
1) One had mirrors installed all around, above, and below the bed. The room felt like an illusory dreamland of mirrors.
2) In another, the headboard of the bed was a dragon sculpture that spewed water.
3) Installed on all sides of another bed were heads of animals such as tigers, leopards, lions, and elephants. Sleeping in such a bed must make one feel like the king of beasts!
4) I once saw a heart-shaped bed, whose owner treasured love above all else.
5) Another individual had a round bed, placed in the center of the bedroom.
6) One bed had a mechanism installed so it would rock up and down and rotate in both directions.

Unfortunately, all the rich men sleeping in these bedrooms subsequently met their decline. These strange beds were not in accordance with the teachings of feng-shui and symbolized degeneration.

I had heard that some of those beds were actually designed by geomancers to satisfy the psychological needs of their wealthy clients. Yet `too many mirrors` lead to a loss of inspiration. `Water at the head of a bed` indicates entanglements and difficulties. A `bed of animals` causes fatigue in both body and mind. A `heart-shaped bed` can lead to pessimism. `Round beds` make one unfavorable among one旧 circle of friends. And a `mechanical bed` causes endless disputes. These are the feng-shui implications of the above designs. Such beds may have appealed to the vanities of the wealthy, but the losses incurred were not worth the trouble.

A bed may be comfortable and the room旧 decorations elegant, yet one should always take feng-shui into consideration. Do not deliberately create strange and unnatural effects. These will lead to sluggishness and confusion as well as the loss of inspiration for work and the diminishing of willpower. One will then become listless, idle, and decadent.

Such are the drawbacks of bedrooms that are too luxurious. Without proper suppression of self-indulgence, endless greed and desire arise.

...........I have, for example, seen quite a few unusual bedrooms:
1) One had mirrors installed all around, above, and below the bed. The room felt like an illusory dreamland of mirrors.
2) In another, the headboard of the bed was a dragon sculpture that spewed water.
3) Installed on all sides of another bed were heads of animals such as tigers, leopards, lions, and elephants. Sleeping in such a bed must make one feel like the king of beasts!
4) I once saw a heart-shaped bed, whose owner treasured love above all else.
5) Another individual had a round bed, placed in the center of the bedroom.
6) One bed had a mechanism installed so it would rock up and down and rotate in both directions.

I am told that some of the beds described in 1-6 above can be found in any number of short-time hotels!:smile: Can anyone confiorm that?

Yes, I never consider going to the hairdresser on Wednesday. I don't know why hairdressers open their salons on Wednesdays - there must be non-believers out there somewhere!

I actually asked my wife about that some time ago. Apparently it is not unlucky to have your hair washed and styled on a Wednesday; just nor cut (God forbid!).

My wife recently had a consultation at a temple with a seer, prophetess, white witch...whatever. As she apparently knew all kinds of things about my wife that it was not possible to know (the usual fortune teller's trick), the missus ended up inviting her to our place today.

She arrived with an entourage of 4 or 5 acolytes in a taxi bus. All of our problems, as a family, have been caused in recent times, so she says, by the misalignment and inappropriate furnishing of our domestic shrines.

My wife and a girlfriend were up at 6 am cooking, I was woken and dispatched to the market by 7 to buy fresh vegetables, herbs, fish etc.

The shrine in our garden was stripped, hosed down and re-furnished with new little plastic people, flowers, joss sticks and a big plate of rather expensive fruit. The in-house shrine was relocated completely to a new position in the upstairs landing.

Lots of chanting, betel chewing, spitting, incense and candle burning etc. later, we were able to sit down to eat at around 2pm.

The total fee requested and which we paid was 1599 baht. The number nine was important in all this shenanigans. We had to provide 9 apples, 9 rose apples, 9 dragon fruits etc.

I should have mentioned, my wife had to go yesterday evening to a temple to release a live turtle and a live eel purchased at the market into the pond.

Now that we have had our shrines rededicated in this way, I assume my wife will be expecting an upturn in our fortunes some time soon. As you may have gathered, I am not so confident.

My wife recently had a consultation at a temple with a seer, prophetess, white witch...whatever. As she apparently knew all kinds of things about my wife that it was not possible to know (the usual fortune teller's trick), the missus ended up inviting her to our place today.

She arrived with an entourage of 4 or 5 acolytes in a taxi bus. All of our problems, as a family, have been caused in recent times, so she says, by the misalignment and inappropriate furnishing of our domestic shrines.

My wife and a girlfriend were up at 6 am cooking, I was woken and dispatched to the market by 7 to buy fresh vegetables, herbs, fish etc.

The shrine in our garden was stripped, hosed down and re-furnished with new little plastic people, flowers, joss sticks and a big plate of rather expensive fruit. The in-house shrine was relocated completely to a new position in the upstairs landing.

Lots of chanting, betel chewing, spitting, incense and candle burning etc. later, we were able to sit down to eat at around 2pm.

The total fee requested and which we paid was 1599 baht. The number nine was important in all this shenanigans. We had to provide 9 apples, 9 rose apples, 9 dragon fruits etc.

I should have mentioned, my wife had to go yesterday evening to a temple to release a live turtle and a live eel purchased at the market into the pond.

Now that we have had our shrines rededicated in this way, I assume my wife will be expecting an upturn in our fortunes some time soon. As you may have gathered, I am not so confident.

I am sure the little plastic people in their renovated and cleaned house, with their new furniture, would be happier with a little plastic TV and computer. Whether you give them True or CTH, will I suppose require another visit to the temple!

Back