Non Imm O multiple entry at Savanakhet

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
I got my Non Imm O multile entry visa (based on marriage to a Thai) the other day in Savanakhet, Laos the other day. Pretty painless, simple and only 5,000 baht. 2 passport pics, copies of your house book, copies of my passport, copies of wife's ID card., 2 copies of your marriage license and bring the original so they can see it. Stayed overnight in Mukdahan at the Ploy Palace Hotel, 1000 baht. Nice place. I can recommend it. Stayed in Laos at the New Saen Sabai Hotel in Savanakhet. Not a bad place for 1000 baht. Likely could find better, but no problems, clean, good bathroom, decent staff, air con, small balcony, free computers in the lobby to use. The hardest mattress I've ever slept on besides a floor.

Found a good, hell, great Thai restaurant for the wife nearby that was very nice, great food, good live music, genuine and friendly shy staff, good beer Lao, tons of delicious food, all for 500 baht.

Tuk tuks are expensive, think late night Pattaya prices = 200 baht one way most places.

And, a word of warning... do not eat in the farang place nearby around the corner from Saen Sabai Hotel. Lisa's. Food is shite, and prices absurd for the crap you get. Whoever painted the place must have been a spastic. I've rarely seen worse. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...sa_Cafe-Savannakhet_Savannakhet_Province.html Yeah, this place. Give it a miss.

Last edited:
That's the part I don't understand. Why doesn't every married person make the trip there ?

Question: did Mrs Cent have to be present when extending the visa based on marriage to a Thai national ? (I'm thinking affirmative.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because a large majority would get an extension to their visa in LOS without the need for a complete New Years visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the part I don't understand. Why doesn't every married person make the trip there ?

I think you may be confusing the 12 month multi-entry "marriage" visa (of which I understand Cent is talking about) with the "extension of stay based upon marriage". Unless the rules have changed since I was on a 12 month multi, you need to leave the Kingdom every 90 days.

I guess I might be, Yorky.
Cent's "based on marriage to a Thai" put me thinking "extension of visa based on marriage" frame of reference. It still sounds ideal if one is willing and healthy enough to hit a border every three months.
Maybe Cent can verify if he's taken the 90-day travel route.

One should also look at the cost. The multi-entry from Savanakhet costs in the region of Bht 6,000.00 excluding travel to which must be added the cost of the border runs (Bht 1.200.00? x 4 for a 15 month stay). The "extension of stay based upon marriage" is Bht 1,900.00 however one must have the necessary funds in the bank.

Horses for courses I would say.

Probably because a large majority would get an extension to their visa in LOS without the need for a complete New Years visa.

I completely forgot that you are "teaching the teachers."

Indeed wouldn't writing ..."a completely new one year visa" have made a touch more sense (or something to that effect) ? :rolleyes:

With the visa based on marriage to a Thai, it does mean you leave the country every 90 days at least. The cost is 5,000 baht (multi entry). No funds in the bank required, no interview from a mental midget and takes about 2 minutes at the window and 1 minute when you come back to collect. As for leaving the country every 90 days, the Cambodian 12 month Business Visa covers that for about $200 and no sticker in the passport.
No one else is required to front up. Application form + 2 photos and normally just have the original marriage certificate and a couple of copies if they ask for them. They don't ever ask for the document from the Amphur either.
I believe you can collect it same day for another 300 baht.
Good one Cent...welcome to the club.

I completely forgot that you are "teaching the teachers."

Indeed wouldn't writing ..."a completely new one year visa" have made a touch more sense (or something to that effect) ? :rolleyes:
Tie pin in a fone Kowfee
c08c5b0fd0fd98c569032aa8208f17b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the visa based on marriage to a Thai, it does mean you leave the country every 90 days at least. The cost is 5,000 baht (multi entry). No funds in the bank required, no interview from a mental midget and takes about 2 minutes at the window and 1 minute when you come back to collect. As for leaving the country every 90 days, the Cambodian 12 month Business Visa covers that for about $200 and no sticker in the passport.
No one else is required to front up. Application form + 2 photos and normally just have the original marriage certificate and a couple of copies if they ask for them. They don't ever ask for the document from the Amphur either.
I believe you can collect it same day for another 300 baht.Good one Cent...welcome to the club.

I know it is very easy to get married but I've done that once in America and I am kind of 'gun shy'.

Are you guys advocating getting hitched just to take advantage of Savannakhet consulate ?
Nobody knows if the regs are going to change. Same as the weather IMO.

Not advocating at all...I was on possibly the best visa and work permit with BOI and already married. Because of all the bullshit and hoops to jump through, I wanted something with some sanity ...talking with GL, he mentioned the Savannakhet route and to me it's by the far the best way to stay here long term. I could go the retirement route, been there, done that many years ago but I still remember the stupidity in those days and from reading what is happening now in KC..Thanks GL!

I know it is very easy to get married but I've done that once in America and I am kind of 'gun shy'.

Are you guys advocating getting hitched just to take advantage of Savannakhet consulate ?

Left hand right hand ooooooooor...:rolleyes::D

Question: did Mrs Cent have to be present when extending the visa based on marriage to a Thai national ? (I'm thinking affirmative.)

No, she did not need to come along. She just needed to sign and date some of the paperwork, which she could do back home in Surin. I wanted her to come along for a short 3 day holiday. As I, she had never been to Laos and had just gotten her new passport a few days earlier. We broke in her passport with a stamp from Laos.

And, this was NOT an 'extension', but a new Imm O. Extensions can be done inside of Thailand, like at Cap Choeng. A NEW Imm O visa needs to be done outside of Thailand. I had let my retirement Imm O expire, as I wanted to go back to the Imm O based on marriage instead (which only requires 400,000K income verification upon renewal/extension, rather than 800,000K). I came into Thailand on a 30 day VOA - Visa On Arrival.

No, she did not need to come along. She just needed to sign and date some of the paperwork, which she could do back home in Surin. I wanted her to come along for a short 3 day holiday. As I, she had never been to Laos and had just gotten her new passport a few days earlier. We broke in her passport with a stamp from Laos.

And, this was NOT an 'extension', but a new Imm O. Extensions can be done inside of Thailand, like at Cap Choeng. A NEW Imm O visa needs to be done outside of Thailand. I had let my retirement Imm O expire, as I wanted to go back to the Imm O based on marriage instead (which only requires 400,000K income verification upon renewal/extension, rather than 800,000K). I came into Thailand on a 30 day VOA - Visa On Arrival.

Actual it is NOT any kind of extension But a NEW visa. Just saying.:D

Anybody that gets married just to stay in Thailand has to be brain dead.:eek:

Back