Record temperature ?

lightfoot

Surin Legend
Seems this part of the world is setting record temperatures, Thailand is on the list.

Like none before:' Deadly, record-smashing heat wave scorches Asia​

Much of southern and southeastern Asia is enduring a deadly, record-smashing heat wave, one that's being called the continent's worst ever recorded in April.

Several all-time record high temperatures have been broken, including a torrid 113.7 degrees in Tak, Thailand, the nation's hottest reading on record.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.29.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 1.29.18 PM.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thailand has been metricated so we should be talking in Celsius terms.

I believe that the above 113.7F equates to 45 degrees Celsius.

That sounds like a normal summers day in Buriram - and is one reason why I am spending more time near the coast.

However, today it is 36 degrees with a 'real feel' of 43 degrees and humidity 83%. ...... not much respite!

Thailand has been metricated so we should be talking in Celsius terms.

I believe that the above 113.7F equates to 45 degrees Celsius.

That sounds like a normal summers day in Buriram - and is one reason why I am spending more time near the coast.

However, today it is 36 degrees with a 'real feel' of 43 degrees and humidity 83%. ...... not much respite!
Ask @Rice about record temperatures--he is a bit of a boffin on this subject.

OK...... First of all. This story comes from a "Unofficial source" Not even a WMO (world meteorological organization) sanctioned one at that. Therefore it can't be taken seriously. If it was The Thai TMD. I would take note. Strange how it was not put out by them. It was put out by a private MET company arabiaweather.com. Records in Thailand must be taken with a dose of salts as all "Official records" start from 1942. Around 1901 a loose collection of citizen scientist sponsored by HM Rama 5 existed. The previous record they talk about was 2016 in Tak. Now was that official? I am some what of an expert on this topic. I sat on "official" boards that discussed this very thing. This is what the Australian Bureau sent me to Thailand for in 1996. I was learning to speak Thai and they thought why the hell not send me. What I did not know and foreign affairs did. Was that Pauline Hanson's now notorious anti Asian rant was going to be part of my brief. Holy shit what a cauldron they sent me into. It set up the rest of my career and reputation. That is how I got my diplomatic passport. Now you know. To that person that once called me a liar. I also know you checked.

View attachment 62176
[/QUOTE
Thanks @FERRET for providing that chart.
Whilst I'm not an out-and-out climate change/global warming denialist ( I still believe that denier refers to a length and/or density of fabric and has sod all to do with being in denial) I am interested in considering evidence that it exists. As a consequence, and recognising that the localities specified on the chart are not far enough apart for them to be truly representative of a claimed global phenomenon, they seems to counter the argument that it is something gathering pace on an exponential scale. While the 2022 record is recent, we might be led to believe by 'some scientists' (and lazy journalists) that temperatures are hitting new records on an almost daily basis. However the chart shows that those records were set as long ago as 84 years, with another four of them over 50 years ago, and only three being set less than 20 years ago. Two of them were set on consecutive days at the same location some 63 years ago. Statistics which would hardly stir the pulse of the late and lamented Michael Fish, let alone the so-called celebrities who favour the rise in their statuses as a result of promoting either global warming theories (or climate change propaganda - in case there should be no foundation in global warming per se.

I'm deeply suspicious and admit that - in the same way that I'm suspicious of those researchers paid handsomely for researching junk subjects where the alternative for them might well be the unemployment lines in benefits offices.

A lightbulb moment for some might be dreaming up a political or scientific theory, taking it to an Authority and then being paid handsomely for developing something that is totally valueless in the overall scheme of things. Another analogy might be to consider a wonderful idea to make cross-border trading cheaper/more economical, but needing an army of highly paid minions to make new rules on a seemingly daily basis to turn the good idea into a top-heavy encumbrance that defeats the point of the 'wonderful idea.' Did someone mention the EU by any chance?

@Merlin . A lightbulb moment for some might be dreaming up a political or scientific theory, taking it to an Authority and then being paid handsomely for developing something that is totally valueless in the overall scheme of things. Another analogy might be to consider a wonderful idea to make cross-border trading cheaper/more economical, but needing an army of highly paid minions to make new rules on a seemingly daily basis to turn the good idea into a top-heavy encumbrance that defeats the point of the 'wonderful idea.' Did someone mention the EU by any chance?

Love it!

Consider foreign exchange as an example.

When I was studying Finance for Foreign Trade and Economics for my banking exams several things occurred to me. One of them (and this was in the early 1970's before everyone became a dealer/trader - gambler in short) was "why couldn't we just have one World Currency?". This was well before Euroland adopted a single currency (something that even as a Brexiteer, I was in favour of). Without wishing to kiss-ass to the Americans it did seem logical to designate this new medium of exchange as "The World Dollar" (I would have abandoned the same size note principle).

Of course there would have been short-term mayhem pegging each country to the "WD$" but look at what would have been saved in cross border transactions; holiday money - no more queueing at Thomas Cook and being fleeced on exchange rates and commissions. No currency speculators/traders - 1m jobs saved in that gambling arena!

@Merlin . A lightbulb moment for some might be dreaming up a political or scientific theory, taking it to an Authority and then being paid handsomely for developing something that is totally valueless in the overall scheme of things. Another analogy might be to consider a wonderful idea to make cross-border trading cheaper/more economical, but needing an army of highly paid minions to make new rules on a seemingly daily basis to turn the good idea into a top-heavy encumbrance that defeats the point of the 'wonderful idea.' Did someone mention the EU by any chance?

Love it!

When I was studying Finance for Foreign Trade and Economics for my banking exams several things occurred to me. One of them (and this was in the early 1970's before everyone became a dealer/trader - gambler in short) was "why couldn't we just have one World Currency?". This was well before Euroland adopted a single currency (something that even as a Brexiteer, I was in favour of). Without wishing to kiss-ass to the Americans it did seem logical to designate this new medium of exchange as "The World Dollar" (I would have abandoned the same size note principle).

Of course there would have been short-term mayhem pegging each country to the "WD$" but look at what would have been saved in cross border transactions; holiday money - no more queueing at Thomas Cook and being fleeced on exchange rates and commissions. No currency speculators/traders - 1m jobs saved in that gambling arena!
You do realize now though that it is all about control, don't you? Nothing to do with expediency or even logic for gods sake. :anguished:

It's a bit like, why is there not one form of sign language accross the world? That too would have made things easier for a lot of 'mutton' people!
Had this problem just recently presented to me. Yesterday in fact. Strange how you brought it up. A government councilor appointed to assist my wife on her deafness. Said learn sign language. My angry retort was, Which one do you suggest Thai or English ,Stupid bitch did not know they are different all over the world.

Love it!

Maybe great in principle, but the devil is in the detail. We're probably all old enough to remember decimalisation being introduced in the UK in February 1971. Halfpennies, pennies, threepenny bits, and sixpences, along with shillings, florins and half crowns soon vanished (even if sixpences, shillings and two bob pieces remained in use for quite a while. Those became a part of the 'con' employed to keep what was familiar and could be used to disguise the very rapid leap in prices. Old pennies and halfpennies were replaced with similarly named 'new' coins carrying a value 2.4 times that of the old ones. The old shilling became five new pence instead of 12 old pennies, and prices soon increased to absorb the sting in the tail. Similarly, two shillings became ten new pence instead of 24 old pennies, which confused many into believing that an item bought for 10 new pence was somehow 'cheaper' than it's predecessor costing 24 old pennies. Inflation existed before Decimalisation or D-Day of course, but at nowhere near the speed that prices rose thereafter.

It wasn't a phenomenon unique to Britain either. I was a regular traveller to France, and could cope easily enough with their transition from 100 'Old' Francs to become just 1 'New' Franc. Many older French people were convinced that the value of their savings was being reduced to just 1% of its former worth. That was longer ago, in 1960, but before some of them had recovered from that 'shock' their 'new' franc vanished to be replaced by the euro introduced there in January 2002. It was argued that the introduction of a common EU currency would stabilise inflation and strengthen the member countries' economies. But at what cost? Read on...

I travelled to the Le Mans 24-hour sportscar race many times, often staying in Rouen for the night before the race started. We used a cheapish hotel on the opposite bank of the Seine to Rouen, but would usually travel from the hotel by taxi for a night out in the city. On the last trip before they introduced the Euro, the taxi fare was about 50 francs, worth roughly £5. By our next visit, the following year, the same taxi ride cost 10 Euros. Querying this with the taxi driver, he explained that all taxis there were by then charging the same sum, and blamed the introduction of the Euro fair and square for the huge increase, reflected in the price of many other items we bought while over there. The increase in the taxi fare wiped out any saving we made on the cheaper hotel, but the reality was far worse as the hotel rates had increased just as dramatically.

Devious buggers these economists.

I recall reading somewhere that the Euro would streamline currencies, such that a magazine bought in Germany would cost the same amount as it would cost in Greece or Spain. Laughable really, if it hadn't been such a lie! I was very pleased that Britain retained the pound sterling despite the pressures imposed by the EU

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that the Euro would streamline currencies, such that a magazine bought in Germany would cost the same amount as it would cost in Greece or Spain. Laughable really, if it hadn't been such a lie! I was very pleased that Britain retained the pound sterling despite the pressures imposed by the EU

I don't think that was ever viable. I was actually in favour of a single currency - it made sense in a European Community., certainly with the ease of cross border travel.

Motor cars are perhaps a good example where market forces pushed down UK sales prices nearer to European levels.

Maybe great in principle, but the devil is in the detail. We're probably all old enough to remember decimalisation being introduced in the UK in February 1971. Halfpennies, pennies, threepenny bits, and sixpences, along with shillings, florins and half crowns soon vanished (even if sixpences, shillings and two bob pieces remained in use for quite a while. Those became a part of the 'con' employed to keep what was familiar and could be used to disguise the very rapid leap in prices. Old pennies and halfpennies were replaced with similarly named 'new' coins carrying a value 2.4 times that of the old ones. The old shilling became five new pence instead of 12 old pennies, and prices soon increased to absorb the sting in the tail. Similarly, two shillings became ten new pence instead of 24 old pennies, which confused many into believing that an item bought for 10 new pence was somehow 'cheaper' than it's predecessor costing 24 old pennies. Inflation existed before Decimalisation or D-Day of course, but at nowhere near the speed that prices rose thereafter.

It wasn't a phenomenon unique to Britain either. I was a regular traveller to France, and could cope easily enough with their transition from 100 'Old' Francs to become just 1 'New' Franc. Many older French people were convinced that the value of their savings was being reduced to just 1% of its former worth. That was longer ago, in 1960, but before some of them had recovered from that 'shock' their 'new' franc vanished to be replaced by the euro introduced there in January 2002. It was argued that the introduction of a common EU currency would stabilise inflation and strengthen the member countries' economies. But at what cost? Read on...

I travelled to the Le Mans 24-hour sportscar race many times, often staying in Rouen for the night before the race started. We used a cheapish hotel on the opposite bank of the Seine to Rouen, but would usually travel from the hotel by taxi for a night out in the city. On the last trip before they introduced the Euro, the taxi fare was about 50 francs, worth roughly £5. By our next visit, the following year, the same taxi ride cost 10 Euros. Querying this with the taxi driver, he explained that all taxis there were by then charging the same sum, and blamed the introduction of the Euro fair and square for the huge increase, reflected in the price of many other items we bought while over there. The increase in the taxi fare wiped out any saving we made on the cheaper hotel, but the reality was far worse as the hotel rates had increased just as dramatically.

Devious buggers these economists.

The one thing I remember clearly on the 14th February 1966 when Australia changed from pounds shillings and pence to decimal currency was I was given 10 lollies for my old one shilling piece instead of the usual 12. Kids economics I suppose.

English is the world default language. For business reasons. If you can understand and speak English, you can thrive in the business world in all its aspects. And it is taught all over for just that reason. Not saying it is the best or the easiest to learn, it's just what it is and what happened mainly due to finances, trade, business. Not tonal though, so not as hard as some. Most can be figured out though from the context used. Simpler alphabet as well. Would love to see all the expert linguists from around the globe gather and find the easiest to learn language for all and choose it for a world language to be taught everywhere, without all the politics involved in choosing a one world language.

The American aboriginals had a pretty uniform sign language they all used for trade and such. Most tribes could understand the basics out of hundreds of different peoples. Adopt something similar, as we are all human with similarities that are basic, two hands, ten fingers, etc. and teach that chosen sign language and teach it in all schools around the world. Would help the deaf everywhere and would at least be a start to one world language capabilities.

I've always been impressed of the many Euros that can speak a slew of languages. But then it is/was out of necessity, for trade mainly. America, the US, has one language, is a large country and population, and the fact we all speak the same language (and want all the people in the country to be able to do so) made it easier to expand and thrive as a people. The fact that it is English is only due to the fact that massive amounts of people coming/migrating there originally were mostly English speakers. The rest learned it to fit in and be able to do business with the monied elites. Same for Canada with the exception of the French speaking province, which are bilingual. And many in the border states by Mexico can speak Spanish as well. Proximity matters, same as in Europe, and Asia as well. It's basically a matter of 'follow the money' to see why a certain language gains ascendence over others.

Last edited:
Back