Rice harvest to be lean financialy

They won't move off the farms in a big way. What can they do? Go to Bangkok and work on building sites. 300bt/day. Live in tin huts with expensive food. Come back home every week or so for weddings. funerals, lucky home parties and all the other bullshit, and there will be no money left.

Better to stay at home, eat the rice they have grown, with fish and bugs they catch, washed down with lao khao, and go to all the parties wherever and whenever.

Probably right Nick, They would do just that and sink deeper into poverty. Send more Isaan girls to town, to pay for their lifestyle. It truly saddens me. All the while the rich will get richer.

Probably right Nick, They would do just that and sink deeper into poverty. Send more Isaan girls to town, to pay for their lifestyle. It truly saddens me. All the while the rich will get richer.

What you say is not wrong but I repeat an earlier question - have you ever seen a Thai farmer look miserable?

We Farangs are the ones who make judgements/assumptions about their poverty and equate this to unhappiness. I am not so sure that is the case (I could be wrong, of course).

The main reason that subsistence policies of this country work is because of the relative contentment of the Isaan poor. If they have nothing, they need nothing. If they have money they spend it, if the don't have money they cope.

Where it will likely go tits up, IMO, is with the next generations who have been exposed via TV and social media to the trappings of 'luxury'. That said, even now, if a family want a new TV (say 10,000 Baht) a family member will go and work in a factory in Bangkok and then come back when they have the 10k.

What you say is not wrong but I repeat an earlier question - have you ever seen a Thai farmer look miserable?

We Farangs are the ones who make judgements/assumptions about their poverty and equate this to unhappiness. I am not so sure that is the case (I could be wrong, of course).

The main reason that subsistence policies of this country work is because of the relative contentment of the Isaan poor. If they have nothing, they need nothing. If they have money they spend it, if the don't have money they cope.

Where it will likely go tits up, IMO, is with the next generations who have been exposed via TV and social media to the trappings of 'luxury'. That said, even now, if a family want a new TV (say 10,000 Baht) a family member will go and work in a factory in Bangkok and then come back when they have the 10k.

No NO! Not from my experience!

If they want a new telly, motorcy or something, they will borrow the money, and only consider ways of paying back with no funds when that time arises. Then it's a case of who will go to a factory or building site in Bangkok, or which daughter or niece is considered old enough to work in a bar somewhere!

No NO! Not from my experience!

If they want a new telly, motorcy or something, they will borrow the money, and only consider ways of paying back with no funds when that time arises. Then it's a case of who will go to a factory or building site in Bangkok, or which daughter or niece is considered old enough to work in a bar somewhere!

Not everyone is like your village Nick.

I know of 3 people (2 female 1 male) who went to work in factories for the sole purpose of buying a specific item and then coming back. The male actually stayed on (probably because he found a girlfriend :smile:).

They must be lazy fookers in Kok Ma - borrow money first then think about how to pay it back. You know better than anybody that a repayment source is necessary before giving out a loan. If other lenders in your area do it without - som nom na!

Strangely enough yes. But it is always just before they kill themselves.

[YT]RhNK2Mcm38Y[/YT]

Not very common and these were a result of the Yingluk government defaulting on payment.

My villagers are similar to Nick's. Buy on the never-never first and try to find a way to pay when the hire purchase company or loan sharks start making threats about either taking away the goods or your handsome looks!

Not very common and these were a result of the Yingluk government defaulting on payment.

Yes not very common it was only 1 in 100000 we can afford to loose more farmers who cares. bnaughty What is going to be so different from before, default of payments?

This time they just won't make any money at all and break even if lucky. This really is a dire problem IMHO, for everyone at stake. I hope you prove me wrong.

I know of 3 people (2 female 1 male) who went to work in factories for the sole purpose of buying a specific item and then coming back. The male actually stayed on (probably because he found a girlfriend :smile:).

They must be lazy fookers in Kok Ma - borrow money first then think about how to pay it back. You know better than anybody that a repayment source is necessary before giving out a loan. If other lenders in your area do it without - som nom na!

They are lazy in my village, and also in many many Isaan villages - certainly those in the villages surrounding me.. Only work when they actually have to.

As for repayment sources, most people that lend money (villagers with more than most) are more than happy with just interest payments indefinitely, and flatly refuse partial payments of the money lent.

Most Thais do not think about tomorrow and beyond!

I would suggest your 3 "known people" are the exception rather than the rule That has been my experience in 14 years in the village.:smile:

They are lazy in my village, and also in many many Isaan villages - certainly those in the villages surrounding me.. Only work when they actually have to.

As for repayment sources, most people that lend money (villagers with more than most) are more than happy with just interest payments indefinitely, and flatly refuse partial payments of the money lent.

Most Thais do not think about tomorrow and beyond!

I would suggest your 3 "known people" are the exception rather than the rule That has been my experience in 14 years in the village.:smile:

I think my story supports your point - they will go and work when it becomes necessary. When they have the money for whatever they need, it is back to the village doing sweet FA. There is no work ethic, there is no culture of working to save or improve your lot. In short - there is precious little ambition.

I think my story supports your point - they will go and work when it becomes necessary. When they have the money for whatever they need, it is back to the village doing sweet FA. There is no work ethic, there is no culture of working to save or improve your lot. In short - there is precious little ambition.

Always have the farang to fall back on..T.I.C.

Last edited:

Upon reflection, Co-Co is probably right when he says some people will go to work to enable them to buy a specific item. However in all probability, they have first borrowed the money to buy the item, and only go to work to enable them to make the finance repayments.

Lending money can be very profitable, put down the land paper as security and if they default on the payments the land belongs to the lender.ThumbUp6

The government is sticking to the premise that something has to be done to help the farmers. A 1,000 baht/rai cash handout for each rice farming family who owns less than 15 rai of land is muted.

There is a big question though, what about the landless farmers who rent fields from landlords to grow rice. Will these poor souls, who number about 800,000 households, receive the 1,000 baht/rai cash handouts too? How can the government subsidize these folks when there is no official record kept?

The government is sticking to the premise that something has to be done to help the farmers. A 1,000 baht/rai cash handout for each rice farming family who owns less than 15 rai of land is muted.

There is a big question though, what about the landless farmers who rent fields from landlords to grow rice. Will these poor souls, who number about 800,000 households, receive the 1,000 baht/rai cash handouts too? How can the government subsidize these folks when there is no official record kept?

Official Records? THIS IS THAILAND!

Prayut threatens to take legal actions against land lords if they siphon subsidies from farmers

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha Friday night threatened to take legal actions against land lords if they take rice subsidies supposed to be given to farmers who lease their land.

He said the subsides were aimed at helping poor farmers. So, if the land lords force farmers to share the subsidies with them, the land lords would face legal actions.

"I'll regard them as not cooperating with the government and they must face legal actions," Prayut said.

The Nation

Hands up who can see this happening. "Oh I will just dob in my landlord, there won't be any repercussions" bnaughty

Farmers to receive financial compensation as early as 20 Oct

BANGKOK, 10 October 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives is pushing for the Cabinet's recently approved measures to help farmers by urgently inspecting the registration of farmers and giving them financial compensation starting this 20 October.

Secretary-General of the Office of Agricultural Economics Lersak Riewtrakunpaiboon said the ministry had assigned the office to establish a committee responsible for setting up criteria and guidelines for the registration of farmers. The ministry had also formed another panel tasked with increasing income of low-income people, said Mr. Lersak.

The farmers’ registration is part of the government’s policy to stimulate the economy in the first three months of 2015. The government has vowed that the financial compensation, worth 40 billion baht in total, for farmers would be fair and transparent.

Over 2.8 million rice farmers have registered with the Office of Agricultural Economics. The registration will be closed on 31 October 2014.

-- NNT 2014-10-10

Farmers to receive financial compensation as early as 20 Oct

BANGKOK, 10 October 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives is pushing for the Cabinet's recently approved measures to help farmers by urgently inspecting the registration of farmers and giving them financial compensation starting this 20 October.

Secretary-General of the Office of Agricultural Economics Lersak Riewtrakunpaiboon said the ministry had assigned the office to establish a committee responsible for setting up criteria and guidelines for the registration of farmers. The ministry had also formed another panel tasked with increasing income of low-income people, said Mr. Lersak.

The farmers’ registration is part of the government’s policy to stimulate the economy in the first three months of 2015. The government has vowed that the financial compensation, worth 40 billion baht in total, for farmers would be fair and transparent.

Over 2.8 million rice farmers have registered with the Office of Agricultural Economics. The registration will be closed on 31 October 2014.

-- NNT 2014-10-10

My missus registered this week.

Back