Rice price

I have talked to the father inlaw about this but he has dismissed me many times.
Arguments against it are all about weed invasion as you would have to plough again anyway.

A few years down the line though you would see a marked decrease in the use of fertilizers this would have to be a win situation surely.

But Thais being Thais they want instant results.

So they rake up a couple of rai of rice stubble to feed to the Kwai and then the rest is just left to rot before damned well burning it. I would prefer ploughing it in. Maybe I will get my way one day. Adding humous to the soil would be a better method then burn.

PS My nick is "Rice" but it has nothing to do with rice farming as fate would have it, I grew into it.

Thanks.

I share your opinion. I think the quality of the soil can only improve over time, hopefully with increased yields. Tractors and ploughs lie idle for months at a time - I would be happy to fund ploughing in (also avoiding stubble burning) to see if it made a difference. The second ploughing pre-planting should be easier and make it possible to get smoother raked soil.

Hand planting is also something that should be considered.

The biggest issue is trying to get to grips with accurate numbers for inputs, yields, prices, labour etc Until I can get my missus to understand exactly how little she is making I am unlikely to pursuade her to take a few rai out of rice production. Frankly, I would prefer to see her growing Christmas trees (palms, limes etc anything to provide a variety and take the emphasis away from rice).

I live next to a large paddy area (the fields belonging to four villages; also we had 100 rai ourselves, though we've sold most of it now as rice-growing was not economic, and people were paying silly prices for the land.

Isan farmers treat the land as they have always done... and that's the problem. With uneducated people like this, changing them is nearly impossible. They have improved the ploughing by using rotivators (so the fields are smoother), but they still burn the stubble.... the remnant of it which hasn't been eaten by kwai and wua.

Really, to find out how much money is being made by a rai of land, you should also factor in the profit made by selling the stubble, and/or the profit made on said kwai and wua, which otherwise cost very little. For example, we bought an adult kwai with two small ones for 30,000 last year. The adult has already been sold for 18,000, and the other two will go shortly for about 30-35,000. That's not a bad profit in a year.... and the stupid things kept FIL busy, but cost nothing to feed. They, and BIL's cows, cut the rough grass on our land for us too.

When I was at school -during the last century - I recall very well, no doubt in geographty lessons, being taught "typical rotation of crops"

One should not grow the same crop year after year on the same land. I am sure this advice is as good today as it was then.

Just back from the house. Looks like SWMBO is on track for 600 kilo per rai. Just a few of the 110 kg bags and a long way to go. No hurry. Her blue rice thrashing machine is out doing 16 hours days.

Two more Spanish Lemons.

Attachments

• 20141117_163051.jpg
    20141117_163051.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20141117_164427.jpg
    20141117_164427.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 0
I still have 4 rai to harvest. All the harvesters left before completing our last few rai.
There seems to be a definite shortage of harvesters in the area this year.

I wonder is it because the local Chagwat tax is being inforced now, and not so many harvesters from outside Surin are visiting because a perceived lack of income. I am not the only one still waiting. I have had to ask family in Prasat to make the trip. I think it will be worth his wild as there are a few interested in his service as well.
Good on you GL for getting 600/rai.

I still have 4 rai to harvest. All the harvesters left before completing our last few rai.

I wonder is it because the local Chagwat tax is being inforced now, and not so many harvesters from outside Surin are visiting because a perceived lack of income. I am not the only one still waiting. I have had to ask family in Prasat to make the trip. I think it will be worth his wild as there are a few interested in his service as well.

I am told that quite a few harvesters have been impounded by the police for a month because their bosses were giving preference to farmers who paid above the 600 bt per rai maximum allowed by they-who-must-be-obeyed.

The Kubotas that did are job were the same as last year at the same price, 600 per rai and he used two at a time. Started Nov 10 and was gone from our area Nov 14. He is from the KC area. I have seen no movement of any harvesters nor have I heard any in the area. This could be a bumper year for the wife blue machine.

The Kubotas that did are job were the same as last year at the same price, 600 per rai and he used two at a time. Started Nov 10 and was gone from our area Nov 14. He is from the KC area. I have seen no movement of any harvesters nor have I heard any in the area. This could be a bumper year for the wife blue machine.

I would not be happy cutting by hand to put in the blue machine. I always wondered how they motorised the machinery then switched to locomotion on those machines until I finaly saw them at it. Nothing mechanicly fancy at all, they just remove the tail shaft from the diff and then attache it to the machine. Anyway I hope I won't be doing that this year.

I have finally finished my/wives rice harvest. The final few rai were harvested and yeilded 550 Kg/rai. Don't know how you got that extra 50 GL. In the end I had to wave a passing harvester down and bribe him. Two bottles of Leo, Two bottles of M150 and two packs of Sua Daeng smokes but he asked for Nua Daeng and the shop thought I was quite and rightly so mad. Nua Daeng means red meat, opposed to red tiger. Of course this was on top of his usal fee of 650B/rai.

Anyway I got 11.40 B/Kg. And yes this paddock was contaminated by red rice as well. Here is a picture of the offending rice. Note the percentage of red grains.
It appears after all the sums. I am up the same amount as bank interest around 2%. Better then a loss.

Rice.jpg

Me M/L just sold some lice. She got 11 baht per kilo. Top was 12 baht per kilo. The secret for the extra 50 per rai plow under and use chicken shyt..

Last edited:
That didn't actually help GL - I am not looking for dictionary definitions, I would just like to know what YOU mean by "plough under".

I have previously referred to a UK term of of "ploughing in" after harvest.

As you are a Septic I am interested to know if "plough under" is something different
buttshakeMonkeyFightmonkeywackmonkeywack

For the mentally challenged.

plowing-under-hairy-vetch.jpg

buttshakeMonkeyFightmonkeywackmonkeywack

For the mentally challenged.

plowing-under-hairy-vetch.jpg

I know what ploughing is you half wit :smile:

Everybody ploughs their rice paddies - my question is whether you just plough pre-planting or do something different.

That question is clearly too difficult for a dumb-assed Yank! buttshake

Ploughing, twice as there is only one crop and chicken shit for fertilizer. Plus the cows add to it during the off seasons The CS is from Chok Chai. boobs2MonkeyFight:smile:

Ploughing, twice as there is only one crop and chicken shit for fertilizer. Plus the cows add to it during the off seasons The CS is from Chok Chai. boobs2MonkeyFight:smile:

I think Co-Co is wondering whether in addition to CS (a long way to go for it), his own may also assist. Think1

Thanks GL - that is helpful.

Can I ask - when do you first plough i.e. straight after harvest ? and again prior to planting ? When do you apply the chicken poop ?

I appreciate that there are multiple questions there and you may need time to compile a considered response. boobs2

Not being nosey - I just want to tell the missus what some other farmers do. She will not take advice from a Farang but if she hears a Thai is ploughing twice she may suddenly get the idea herself - that is then OK!

I think Co-Co is wondering whether in addition to CS (a long way to go for it), his own may also assist. Think1

The Stink About Human Poop As Fertilizer

By Natasha Geiling on July 17, 2014

Poopstory_Hero2.jpg

Here’s the thing about poop: everybody does it, which means that there’s a lot of it lying around waiting to be dealt with. Before the Clean Water Act of 1972 (and the outlawing of open-ocean dumping in 1988), raw sewage simply ran untreated into our oceans, streams and rivers. Once we figured out that this was a grievous insult to public health and the environment, we decided to start pumping our waste into treatment facilities—which cleaned up our water, but left us with the question of what to do with the nearly 8 million tons of poop we produce each year.
Some waste treatment plants burn it or ship it to landfills, which aren’t the most economically or environmentally friendly solutions. But not all poop ends its life by fire or burial. Some human waste ends up in forests and farm fields as the treated, human-feces-based fertilizer known as biosolids.
Find the idea of growing tomatoes with human excrement repulsive? It’s a common response, one that Washington State University soil scientist Craig Cooger finds strange. “We’re not as grossed out by animal manure as we are by human poop,” he explains. “Although biosolids are a long way removed from the poop, nonetheless there’s that perception issue there.”
“Humans have been repurposing their feces for thousands of years—some more safely than others.”

But skepticism about biosolids comes from more than just our hesitance to talk about our poop—some organizations, like the Sierra Club, worry that using human excrement as fertilizer is significantly riskier than using animal manure. Almost 50 percent of biosolids created in the United States are applied to land, with the majority being used in agriculture. Are we endangering our health by putting human poop on our farms?
Humans have been repurposing their feces for thousands of years—some more safely than others. Often known by its euphemistic name “night soil,” the most famous example of raw human waste application might be China, where human excrement was used for centuries in an attempt to close the nutrient cycle in their fields, something that agricultural scientist F.H. King cited in the early 20th century as the reason behind China’s seemingly perennial fertility. While night soil might have helped China’s land retain crucial nutrients, it didn’t win any awards for public health. Because the night soil was often untreated, pathogens could easily be transferred to both humans and food (so eating raw vegetation was seriously frowned upon).
Biosolids used in the United States aren’t night soil. Regulated by the EPA and federal codes, treatment plants are required to treat the waste at least once before it can be applied to any land. After you flush your waste is carried along with urine, rainwater and household water to a local sewage treatment plant. From there, bacteria digest the sludge (the solid waste before treatment, a process that accomplishes two things: it makes the sludge less biologically active (meaning it stinks less) and it reduces the amount of pathogens in the biosolid. Biosolids treated once are called Class B biosolids, and can be used with various restrictions, because while the pathogen levels are reduced by a single treatment, they’re not completely gone. That requires a second treatment—often using high temperatures—and turns the biosolids into Class A biosolids, which have no detectable pathogens and can be used anywhere.
And yet, even with EPA regulations and treatment processes in place, people still worry about biosolids. Groups like the Sierra Club, the Center for Food Safety and the Organic Consumers Association worry that outdated regulations and guidelines based on antiquated science make biosolids a threat to public health. “Urban sludges are a highly complex, unpredictable biologically active mixture of organic material and human pathogens, some of which are resistant to antibiotics or cannot be destroyed through composting sludge can contain thousands of industrial chemicals, including dozens of carcinogens, hormone disrupting chemicals, toxic metals, dioxins, radionuclides and other persistent bioaccumulative poisons,” warns the Sierra Club. In 2009, an EPA survey of biosolids produced by 74 randomly selected treatment plants found traces of pharmaceuticals, steroids, flame retardants and chemicals in their samples, though the agency states that “it is not appropriate to speculate on the significance of the results until a proper evaluation has been completed and reviewed.”
“They find it fascinating that we can take human waste and find a new use for it.”

But biosolid proponents, and soil experts like Cooger, stress that with materials like pharmaceuticals or heavy metals, the dose makes the poison. “You’re going to find higher levels of metals in biosolids than you will in manure, but the levels are still so low, and the chemistry of interactions between biosolids and soil is such that availability to plants is very low,” he explains. “Given the metal levels in biosolids, we don’t see problems in the food chain or in the environment.” And with pharmaceuticals or steroids, Cooger is quick to note that many animals receive heavy doses of both—which would certainly find their way into animal manure, often in larger concentrations than biosolids. In a 2002 National Academy of Sciences study looking at the regulation of biosolids and land application (known as Federal Part 503), the Academy concluded, “There is no documented scientific evidence that the Part 503 rule has failed to protect human health.”
Public opinion, Cooger notes, is mixed when it comes to biosolids—but those that have experience with it tend to be more accepting than those that don’t. Jennifer Rusch, a media relations officer for Kansas City, MO, agrees. The city has sponsored a farm for years that takes biosolids from treatment plants around the city and uses it for fertilizer. “Within the city, we’ve actually had a lot of support from the mayor and city council and our customers,” she says. “They find it fascinating that we can take human waste and find a new use for it.”

I am given to understand from the horses mouth, that the tankers that come to the villages to empty septic tanks, when full, offload onto fields of approving families and friends.

I wonder what their rice yields are!

Back