UK Pension Service - Life Certificate

Mine was duly prepared, signed by me and "countersigned" today by Young Mister Grace.

I don't understand, given the provisions in the "Memorandum of Understanding between the Department for Work and Pensions, the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund" that DWP require another "Life Certificate" given that I submitted one to PPF in November last.

Their Memorandum of Understanding states:

"Purpose

1. This memorandum of understanding establishes a trilateral framework for co-operation between the Department for Work and Pensions, the Pensions Regulator and the Board of the Pension Protection Fund in the field of pension regulation and protection. It sets out the role of each body and explains how they will work together towards the
common objective of pension security. The division of responsibilities is based on four guiding principles:

• clear accountability. Each body must be accountable for its actions, so each must have unambiguous and well- defined responsibilities;

• transparency. Parliament, the pensions community and the public must know what each body is responsible for;

no duplication. Each body must have a clearly defined role, to avoid second guessing, inefficiency and the duplication of effort. This will help ensure proper accountability;

and

• regular and appropriate information exchange. This will help each body to discharge its responsibilities as efficiently and effectively as possible."

[My highlighting]

to:TVP International Queries <TVP.INTERNATIONALQUERIES@dwp.gov.uk>
date:Feb 10, 2023, 6:56 PM
subject:Life Certificate

"Dear Sirs,

Yesterday I received the Life Certificate from yourselves and I have today completed it and had it countersigned. I shall post it after the weekend.

However, I completed a similar "Life Certificate" for the PPF last November and maybe in view of the articles of the " Memorandum of Understanding between the Department for Work and Pensions, the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund", in particular "no duplication" perhaps it should not be necessary?

Best regards"

Accuracy is not semantics.

The life certificate says 'signature of witness'.

It is irrelevant what the life certificate says it is. The whole point of the letter is that the DWP and their PPF "partners" appear to be duplicating efforts contrary to the memorandum.

If and when DWP respond to the letter saying it's not "countersigned" it's "witnessed", I'll be sure to let you know.

Last edited:
It is irrelevant what the life certificate says it is. The whole point of the letter is that the DWP and their PPF "partners" appear to be duplicating efforts contrary to the memorandum.

If and when DWP respond to the letter saying it's not "countersigned" it's "witnessed", I'll be sure to let you know.
I would say it is totally relevant what the form says.

Don't bother letting me know. - I know the difference.

I would say it is totally relevant what the form says.

Not to me it isn't. And I cannot visualise that DWP will be concerned that I may have used the incorrect nomenclature in the email.

I note that you decline to comment on the main point of the email.

Last edited:
"Thank you for your email to Newcastle Pension Centre (International Group).

Please can you send us further information with your full name and DOB so we can trace your account.

Please remember to include any previous e-mails below your message. We can only hold emails for a limited period of time by law.

Kind regards,

Saira"

"by law" - I learn something new every day.

When i posted that on Monday i forgot i was at the hospital for my 3 monthly blood test and repeat prescription so i got it signed by the doc who saw me.
As soon as i asked him he said are you from UK I've signed a few just lately. No probs.

When i posted that on Monday i forgot i was at the hospital for my 3 monthly blood test and repeat prescription so i got it signed by the doc who saw me.
As soon as i asked him he said are you from UK I've signed a few just lately. No probs.

Was the doctor's signature and name and address decipherable?

Back