UK Pensions

As a local government offficial in my late teens I had first dibs to officiate at elections. The money was ok for basically doing next to nothing and some even earned more by volunteering to count the votes after the polls closed

I worked for a Labour run council and only joined NALGO because they had two great snooker tables in their social club

I think about half of the UK population are either not entitled and/or too stupid to vote

No-one who is not registered to vote can do so until they DO register (obvious statement of the decade! :) )

The others who can't vote include:
  • members of the House of Lords
  • EU citizens (other than UK, Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta) resident in the UK
  • anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
  • convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
  • anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

An estimated 46.8 million people were registered to vote at the June 2017 UK Parliamentary general election. This was the largest electorate for a UK-wide poll, with approximately 500,000 more electors than at the 2015 general election and 300,000 more than at the 2016 EU referendum. That's out of the current UK population of 66.57 million.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ral-register&usg=AOvVaw3RM9TeFDAoSxJQv4n2-uXG

I registered last year by being economical with the truth. Does that mean I am entitled to vote for another 15 years under the current "legislation"?

For 15 years since the date you registered... I won't tell anyone ;)… providing that you register every 12 months as all must do.

So the rumour is true then, that Yorkshiremen are economical? :cool:

For 15 years since the date you registered... I won't tell anyone ;)… providing that you register every 12 months as all must do.

So the rumour is true then, that Yorkshiremen are economical? :cool:

A guy who worked for me back in the seventies who is now sadly dead (R.I.P.) said about me "He's not tight, just careful. As careful as a crab's arsehole!"

No-one who is not registered to vote can do so until they DO register (obvious statement of the decade! :) )

I am pretty certain the IOTs (Internet of Things) did not exist when I was a serving officer in the RAF circa 1966 to 1986, although the Sinclair ZX81 did come along in 1981. Online registration was not an option. There may have been a form for postal voting but I cannot honestly remember. However, I was always on the move every 18 months to 2 years, both within the UK and overseas. Registration was not an option with no permanent UK address. Since 1986 I have been living permanently overseas. While I held a UK address from 1986 to 1998 I have been 'homeless' ever since. Am I eligible to register?

I am pretty certain the IOTs (Internet of Things) did not exist when I was a serving officer in the RAF circa 1966 to 1986, although the Sinclair ZX81 did come along in 1981. Online registration was not an option. There may have been a form for postal voting but I cannot honestly remember. However, I was always on the move every 18 months to 2 years, both within the UK and overseas. Registration was not an option with no permanent UK address. Since 1986 I have been living permanently overseas. While I held a UK address from 1986 to 1998 I have been 'homeless' ever since. Am I eligible to register?

Not unless you were born east of the Pennines!

As a local government offficial in my late teens I had first dibs to officiate at elections. The money was ok for basically doing next to nothing and some even earned more by volunteering to count the votes after the polls closed

At the Local Government Authority where I worked, if you volunteered for an election count you received a payment but had to take a days holiday - I preferred my holidays

I today tried to update my registration (on-line). I included the date that I left UK (as (falsely) detailed in my last on-line registration - August 2003) and they kicked it back. I applied again with a leaving UK date of August 2004 - they will get back to me. Maybe in future I should enter last year's date then I'm good for another 14 years?

UK OCCUPATIONAL WIDOWS PENSION

Most wives, and many partners will receive a pension on the death of their UK husband/partner from his former employer. Most pay a minimum of 50% with some as much as 66%. Some however will pay a much reduced pension if marriage to a Thai partner occurred after taking their own pension.

In addition some employers reduce a widows pension by 2%-2.5% for each year that he/she is younger than her husband/partner over 10 years. Many of us on the forum have younger wives/partners!

There was an interesting article published this week, written by Steve Webb, the former Pensions Minister and now an adviser to Royal London Assurance, regarding the legality or otherwise of these age related reductions.

As suggested in the article, I have written to my Pension Trustee to ask for their view on the article, having been repeatedly told by them over the years that my wife will be subject to a 2.5% reduction for every year more than 10 she is younger than me....(Doesn't leave her with much!) :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/p...cheme-reduce-widows-payouts-shes-younger.html

You have to be a "hansum man" too. Age is irrelevant!

I was thinking the bouncers/bar staff. Easy to misconstrue things on social media 55. I’m Pattaya bound again in January with my UK mate and there’s another 3 weeks with no LDs

Back