UK Pensions

Public awareness of the situation is increasing, as is the State's resistance to change - in all probability. However, raising awareness has a greater chance of creating change than quietly accepting a very prejudicial rule, and the more people who can be persuaded to keep plugging away at the authorities and the politicians content with their own fat pension arrangements, the more likely it is that change for the better will eventually be effected. There's nothing to stop expat Brits from contacting MPs in their old constituencies (and others!) demanding equal rights with expats from other countries where the pensions DO increase now, and pressing for ALL the political parties to include a promise to ensure this in their next election manifesto.

There are those politicians who recognise the voting powers of pensioners as we live longer and therefore grow in number. Keep banging the drum!!!

How many expats vote? they don’t give a rats shit about us

Lots do vote, but not all those who are entitled to do so. The more of us who do, the greater are our chances of fair representation. If we don't, then we can only hold ourselves to blame for being outside the system. I have 2 grown-up kids and 4 grandchildren in the UK. I care enough about their futures to ensure that I have a vote about matters that will affect them too.
Q. If everyone ignored their chance to vote, what do you feel the ultimate result would be?
A. A Dictatorship.

Virtually everyone who was previously registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years (including those outside the UK on military service) can register to vote ONLINE.

The process is simple - it takes less than 5 minutes if you have your Passport number, your N.I. number, and your UK Postcode where you were last registered to hand. I registered again a few minutes ago. We need to do this once every 12 months.

As the post between the UK and Thailand is a bit unpredictable, the choice of methods to vote is limited. Consequently, we need to appoint a Proxy to vote on our behalf, and the Proxy needs to live in the same constituency as our old postcode. Still a simple task - assuming we have friends or family living there!

Here's the process: Go to gov.uk/register-to-vote and complete the form online. You can vote by post or by Proxy, but the postal voting papers are sent out no earlier than 16 days before an election, so the chances of them arriving here and being received back in the UK during that time are very remote! So, you can request a Proxy form in your application, or you can download one at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-to-vote-by-proxy-if-youre-living-overseas

If you're eligible and haven't already registered - go on, do it now. If you don't you'll probably forget - just as I did last year!

p.s. My application to register has been confirmed while I was typing this, and they have included a Proxy form in the email received. Simple!

How many are allowed to vote?

It's a horror story!

British citizens living abroad can register as overseas voters if they have been registered to vote in the UK at any time within the past 15 years. Yet of the estimated 5.5 million British citizens living abroad, less than 13,000 overseas voters are currently on a UK electoral register.

Spread the word!

It's a horror story!

British citizens living abroad can register as overseas voters if they have been registered to vote in the UK at any time within the past 15 years. Yet of the estimated 5.5 million British citizens living abroad, less than 13,000 overseas voters are currently on a UK electoral register.

Spread the word!

I found out last year that if you lie they don't check. How can they?

Spread the word!

Back in the day serving in the military I wasn’t allowed to be entered on the electoral roll. This played havoc with my credit in Debenhams

It's a horror story!

I'm not sure that is correct. I think it is that if you have been out of the UK for over 15 years, you are not legally entitled to vote.

I think about half of the UK population are either not entitled and/or too stupid to vote

I'm not sure that is correct. I think it is that if you have been out of the UK for over 15 years, you are not legally entitled to vote.

It's the way you hold your mouth... ;)

Your statement is correct, providing that they were consecutive years, and that since then you haven't registered within the UK.

This article suggests that ALL Brits might be entitled to vote, wherever they are in the world, before long: https://www.theparliamentmagazine.e...ould-soon-win-right-vote-uk-general-elections

Your statement is correct, providing that they were consecutive years, and that since then you haven't registered within the UK.

I registered last year by being economical with the truth. Does that mean I am entitled to vote for another 15 years under the current "legislation"?

Back