Visit from police

I suppose that it may be considered impolite to ask for copies of their degree certificates?

Probably even more impolite to ask whether they successfully completed university education to gain the degree or did daddy buy it?

They are both Royal Thai Police. Ask to look at their shields and id, its says so.

So, you have answered my post. Reporting your Thailand address on the entry forum (form) TM card will suffice. It's been delivered on entry. The 2 that turned up today agreed with me. I submitted it yesterday on return from Siem Reap.

So, you have answered my post. Reporting your Thailand address on the entry forum (form) TM card will suffice. It's been delivered on entry. The 2 that turned up today agreed with me. I submitted it yesterday on return from Siem Reap.

From my understanding of the legalities outlined in this thread, it is the legal requirement for your landlady/wife/hotel/guest house, etc. to report that you are residing at their establishment.

Don't get me wrong because I've always believed that indicating your address on the TM card upon entry into the Kingdom was legally sufficient - in fact for 20 years before this thread was started (other than the 90 day reporting).

From my understanding of the legalities outlined in this thread, it is the legal requirement for your landlady/wife/hotel/guest house, etc. to report that you are residing at their establishment.

Don't get me wrong because I've always believed that indicating your address on the TM card upon entry into the Kingdom was legally sufficient - in fact for 20 years before this thread was started (other than the 90 day reporting).

That's a requirement now Yorky...not a legal one though. Just something brought in at a whim like alcohol trading hours.
I own my property here, so I have no-one to report my address to the IO/Police. I'd suggest that my reporting each 90 days by way of the TM will do. The IO today agreed.

They are two separate departments and the left hand does not know what the right hands does. There was talk about 18 months back of separating the Immigration Police over to the MFA BUT nothing has come of that.

Last edited:
One has to wonder how long it will be before they follow Myanmar's example and require everyone to drive on the wrong side of the road (most of the locals do anyway).

One has to wonder how long it will be before they follow Myanmar's example and require everyone to drive on the wrong side of the road (most of the locals do anyway).

Not wishing to contradict my good friend, and with time to spare before the Arsenal - Liverpool kick off, don't you mean driving on the right side of the road?

Not wishing to contradict my good friend, and with time to spare before the Arsenal - Liverpool kick off, don't you mean driving on the right side of the road?

You mean CORRECT SIDE Blue is incorrect.10of10Score

Opposite-Driving-Map.png

Nice map, gotlost. Interesting that the blue (cultured) areas are less than the red areas.

Getting this thread back on track.........The local BiB dropped in a & left a form headed 'Farang Database' ,I filled it in.together with a photo,& off he went a happy chappy.The form asked for Passport details,address etc but I wasn't asked to produce my Passport. This was several weeks ago.

The wife of a friend of mine, who began the process to extend his 12 month visa based on retirement one week ago, received a phone call this morning saying that Immigration Officers would visit his house later today. She said they were not at home because her husband had been admitted to hospital in Surin. They said they would call the following day and her husband had better be home. When asked what time they replied they would call before they came and they insisted that the Pui Yai Baan and one other neighbour be present to verify her husband is who he says he is. She replied that they would still be at the hospital and that it may be difficult to arrange. Reportedly, they then said if your husband is not home when we call he will have to leave the country and start the visa process all over again.

Last week he had received a '30 day under consideration' stamp in his passport. Now, through no fault of his own, he is being threatened with having to leave the country if he is not home when they call. Incidentally, they already have a copy of all his documents, including a Yellow Tabien Baan. This guy is known to Immigration and has extended his visa at least 6 to 8 times previously without difficulty. He will discharge himself from hospital in the morning to be at home for the visit. I await with interest a full debrief from him after the home visit. This all seems very heavy handed and very unnecessary.

Last edited:
Getting this thread back on track.........The local BiB dropped in a & left a form headed 'Farang Database' ,I filled it in.together with a photo,& off he went a happy chappy.The form asked for Passport details,address etc but I wasn't asked to produce my Passport. This was several weeks ago.

Same as my visit by the BiB's.//flag

The wife of a friend of mine, who began the process to extend his 12 month visa based on retirement one week ago, received a phone call this morning saying that Immigration Officers would visit his house later today. She said they were not at home because her husband had been admitted to hospital in Surin. They said they would call the following day and her husband had better be home. When asked what time they replied they would call before they came and they insisted that the Pui Yai Baan and one other neighbour be present to verify her husband is who he says he is. She replied that they would still be at the hospital and that it may be difficult to arrange. Reportedly, they then said if your husband is not home when we call he will have to leave the country and start the visa process all over again.

Last week he had received a '30 day under consideration' stamp in his passport. Now, through no fault of his own, he is being threatened with having to leave the country if he is not home when they call. Incidentally, they already have a copy of all his documents, including a Yellow Tabien Baan. This guy is known to Immigration and has extended his visa at least 6 to 8 times previously without difficulty. He will discharge himself from hospital in the morning to be at home for the visit. I await with interest a full debrief from him after the home visit. This all seems very heavy handed and very unnecessary.

Post visit debrief. They failed to show the day before and they were a few hours late for the 11.00 appointment this morning. My friend was upstairs resting in bed (post hospital) and the officers told his wife not to disturb him. "Go upstairs and take a photograph of him in bed and show us that he is here," they said. They wanted to see the Pu Yai Baan and a close neighbour to verify that the Farang did indeed live in the house, asked various other questions of the wife, including some about domestic violence, and commented on how comfortable it must be to live in a such a large and beautiful house. They left after an hour or so. They had brought with them a computer and printer, recorded the details of the witnesses, printed some papers and asked them to sign. They also said they would receive a phonecall perhaps within the week to come and get the visa extension in the passport. All pretty much of a damp squid and my friend slept through all of it.

What purpose do these house visits serve? I have no idea whatsoever.

Back