Water pump, inverter?

Jeppe

Surin Legend
I will probably need to buy a new water pump.

Should I go for a inverter pump? What are the benefits with a pump like that?
I have water tank that it will be connected to.

Will you be pumping into the water tank or out of the water tank? And is it "mains" water?

It will be out from the tank and into the house.

The tank are supplied from public water.

OK, that's the same as my system. I really don't know that much about inverter pumps (didn't have them when I was a lad) but I understand that they are electronically controlled thereby conserving electricity and also the integrity of the unit. I believe that there are others on here who may be able to advise you. What is the difference in cost for similar output units?

OK, that's the same as my system. I really don't know that much about inverter pumps (didn't have them when I was a lad) but I understand that they are electronically controlled thereby conserving electricity and also the integrity of the unit. I believe that there are others on here who may be able to advise you. What is the difference in cost for similar output units?

I was just at Thai Watsadu and looking for a pump with 200-250W. There they only had a Hitachi 400W inverter pump for 14000 thb. I guess a Hitachi 400W on/off pump will cost around 10 000. So they are some more expensive. I will go to Home Pro and check there tomorrow.

I was just at Thai Watsadu and looking for a pump with 200-250W. There they only had a Hitachi 400W inverter pump for 14000 thb. I guess a Hitachi 400W on/off pump will cost around 10 000. So they are some more expensive. I will go to Home Pro and check there tomorrow.

I bought my Hitachi from IQ Moderntrade but it was many years ago. 19mm inlet/outlet for about Bht 6,000.00. It's been "serviced" once which entailed removing a termite's nest.

I am using a Hitachi GX 250 series (shallow well) and very happy with it. Having read Hitachi's brochures perhaps the XS series would have been more appropriate. The XS series is designed for the top diagram:

upload_2018-2-10_10-24-42.png

My GX 250 runs very well (5 years old) and provides more than enough pressure for the house, washing machine, showers and garden.

The equivalent XS 250 series (same shape and size as my GS 250) is advertised by HomePro and sells for 7,100 baht.

20170209_1063469.jpg
or
20161006_1056420.jpg

In fact, looking at the HomePro website they only sell the XS version of the pump. https://www.homepro.co.th/category/12174

P.S.. My model design is the circular version on the left.

Last edited:

Your correct on that 10k as we have a unit 9.5k from Home Pro. FWIW Give Global House a look as they normally beat Home Pro and its amazing what GH has that GH doesn't. Also as Yorky pointed out take a look at IQ they also can have some good kit.

Your correct on that 10k as we have a unit 9.5k from Home Pro. FWIW Give Global House a look as they normally beat Home Pro and its amazing what GH has that GH doesn't. Also as Yorky pointed out take a look at IQ they also can have some good kit.

I think the GS 250 series is more than powerful enough for your home and only 7,100 baht. If you would like to see mine come on round.

You guys are missing the question of, and the and point of the OP. Here it is, wait no longer.

Pros of an inverter.

Less power usage, No brushes on the motor to wear out, regulates speed in regard to maintain constant pressure. They are quiet as they use a DC motor.

Cons.

The electronics that it relies on may blow up in the first lightning strike. They are more expensive then the conventional ones. You can make this up with power savings though.

You guys are missing the question of, and the and point of the OP. Here it is, wait no longer.

Pros of an inverter.

Less power usage, No brushes on the motor to wear out, regulates speed in regard to maintain constant pressure. They are quiet as they use a DC motor.

Cons.

The electronics that it relies on may blow up in the first lightning strike. They are more expensive then the conventional ones. You can make this up with power savings though.

You are correct on great one. :DThe question being does the OP want to spend an extra 5K.:rolleyes: As I said look about because HP is not the cheapest place about.

I only am aware of what I have read about inverters. But I think what needed to be established first is where the pump is going to be installed in the system and for what precise purpose. After establishing those facts, I pass it over to those more knowledgeable.

I am using a Hitachi GX 250 series (shallow well) and very happy with it. Having read Hitachi's brochures perhaps the XS series would have been more appropriate. The XS series is designed for the top diagram:

I have the system described in the top diagram together with a XS series pump (the square one).

Pros of an inverter.

Cons.

I hear what you say Oh Great One but I ducked the question because I didn't know the answer. I do question your last point about cost savings. Yes, I know they are cheaper to run but how long would it take to amortize costs? A 7,000 baht differential may take several years to recoup the extra cost. By which time it may well have blown circuits and need replacing due to the frequency of lightning strikes in this area during the summer months.

Reminds me of Kevin (bless him) who bought a petrol engined Fortuna thereby saving c. Bht 100,000.00 over the diesel model. Given that he was covering an average of 600 - 700 km/week I don't think that he had given it much thought. Anyway, he probably died before it amortised costs (correct spelling).

Pros of an inverter.

Cons.

A question @Rice :

My neighbour did not heed my advice and decided to pump from the mains to a high level storage tank. I explained that there was insufficient pressure/flow in the mains to feed a pump during daytime but he was adamant and went his own way. From my limited experience of centrifugal pumps in this situation they could cavitate and possibly destroy the impeller.

Could these "inverter" pumps be potentially liable to the same fate?

View attachment 20193

My GX 250 runs very well (5 years old) and provides more than enough pressure for the house, washing machine, showers and garden.

The equivalent XS 250 series (same shape and size as my GS 250) is advertised by HomePro and sells for 7,100 baht.

20170209_1063469.jpg
or
20161006_1056420.jpg

In fact, looking at the HomePro website they only sell the XS version of the pump. https://www.homepro.co.th/category/12174

P.S.. My model design is the circular version on the left.

I hear what you say Oh Great One but I ducked the question because I didn't know the answer. I do question your last point about cost savings. Yes, I know they are cheaper to run but how long would it take to amortize costs? A 7,000 baht differential may take several years to recoup the extra cost. By which time it may well have blown circuits and need replacing due to the frequency of lightning strikes in this area during the summer months.

My thoughts exactly. Should of said you may make up the price in savings. They do state that there can be up to a 40% power saving on a conventional unit. So if that was true, Fork nose how long it would take to amortise the price differential. I will leave it to the budgeting guru Yorky to figure it out.

On your question Yorky the inverter is running the power for the impeller that where it ends, a pump is still a pump and can suffer from cavitation. So your neighbor was trying to suck water out of the thin mains pipe faster then it would normally arrive. Now that is a recipe for cavitation as it would set up a severe turbulence trying to create a vacuum force, so in a word you are correct in your thinking.

My thoughts exactly. Should of said you may make up the price in savings. They do state that there can be up to a 40% power saving on a conventional unit. So if that was true, Fork nose how long it would take to amortise the price differential. I will leave it to the budgeting guru Yorky to figure it out.

In order to assess any overall saving or loss one would need to know the volume of water being pumped during a specific period, i.e. for how long the pumps are operating. Whatever, it will not be an easy straightforward calculation.

In order to assess any overall saving or loss one would need to know the volume of water being pumped during a specific period, i.e. for how long the pumps are operating. Whatever, it will not be an easy straightforward calculation.

Make a basket of assumptions and see what you get.

Back