Yellow book problem!

@Merlin - do you really believe what you wrote/cut and pasted. ;)

I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants a YTB, I share the views of @Rice (although not quite as strongly).

I have survived/prospered in Thailand for 19 years without the need for one. I don't feel any less 'secure' than anyone who has a YTB.
+1

To answer the original question: last year I went to my embassy for a piece of paper (certifying my name in Thai and the name and address of my wife), as instructed by my Amphoe. Paid for that, went across the road to an official translation service and they sent the translation back to me per EMS a day or two later. Took all my stuff back to the Amphoe and got the yellow book + pink ID card. Paid for that.
Immigration isn't really interested in your Tabien Ban but it does serve as proof of address, which they are supposed to check up on. The bank will accept it when you want to open a bank account, the driving licence centre accepts it as proof of address (no more trips to immigration, pay ฿500.-), and you can lease or buy a car instead of using your wife's name.
I agree that I was living here for 10 years before doing this but I have noticed that officials seem quite relieved when I show them the Tabien Ban + pink ID. It's still the law that you have to carry your passport at all times, but I imagine that the police would accept the pink ID even though it doesn't have a visa stamp.

Two points.... why the heck do Immigration want evidence of address when you have done a TM30 AND reported your address every 90 days?

Not directed harshly at @cooked but if anyone can show me the law that states that you have to carry your passport at all times I will buy them a bottle of Sangsom.
IMO it does not exist and I certainly haven't found it within the Civil and Commercial Code.

https://www.immigration.go.th/index/

Unless one doesn't have a driving licence, there is no reason to produce a passport to police.

It was my understanding that police can require you to present your passport within 24 hours (I have read stories of westerners being detained until someone has retrieved their passport for them.

(again, I may have misunderstood something).

I

I never carry my passport. It's an important document and a ba$#@rd to replace. I've never been asked to show it other than at immigration.

Police are not interested in your visa status. I doubt they'd even know what to look for.

Driving licences need renewing upto every 6 years, depending on your renewal date in comparison to your birthday. Hardly a big issue going to immigration for a certificate of residence. We are there once can year, some even 90 days anyway.

2 motorbikes and 2 pick-ups in wife's name. No problems. Easier to buy and sell that way.

On one occasion I was stopped In Korat by a joint operation by RTP and Immigration. The Immigration officer asked to see my passport, presumably to check my status. I have NEVER been asked for my passport at a police checkpoint.....

Two points.... why the heck do Immigration want evidence of address when you have done a TM30 AND reported your address every 90 days?

Not directed harshly at @cooked but if anyone can show me the law that states that you have to carry your passport at all times I will buy them a bottle of Sangsom.
IMO it does not exist and I certainly haven't found it within the Civil and Commercial Code.

https://www.immigration.go.th/index/
It used to be a favourite pastime in Bangkok for the police to raid the bars and either detain for hours and hours those that didn't have passports or discretely accept tea money. Nevertheless, you are expected to carry your passport at all times. OK, so you have a valid ID, but unless the police can use that to check your visa status they can still demand to see your passport. Book into a hotel or pay for a flight? Passport, not just an ID. It's just another of those things like "motorcyclists must overtake on the left" or non-Thais are not allowed to drive a car (or buffalo". https://thailand.acclime.com/guides/restricted-jobs/
The Thai legal system is difficult to wade through and I can think of all sorts of reasons why this particular piece of legislation isn't to be found in The Civil and Commercial Code.

It used to be a favourite pastime in Bangkok for the police to raid the bars and either detain for hours and hours those that didn't have passports or discretely accept tea money. Nevertheless, you are expected to carry your passport at all times. OK, so you have a valid ID, but unless the police can use that to check your visa status they can still demand to see your passport. Book into a hotel or pay for a flight? Passport, not just an ID. It's just another of those things like "motorcyclists must overtake on the left" or non-Thais are not allowed to drive a car (or buffalo". https://thailand.acclime.com/guides/restricted-jobs/
The Thai legal system is difficult to wade through and I can think of all sorts of reasons why this particular piece of legislation isn't to be found in The Civil and Commercial Code.
Why are non immigration police interested in your visa status?

I can understand why @CO-CO was asked to show passport as it was a joint venture.

I too have heard of expats being held until passports are shown but it was immigration police not RTP.

ALL legislation is documented somewhere.....and if it not in the TCCC......then it probably doesn't exist.

My search for this mythical piece of legislation will continue....

ALL legislation is documented somewhere.....and if it not in the TCCC......then it probably doesn't exist.

My search for this mythical piece of legislation will continue....
It would be in the all encompassing companied policy document of The 1979 Immigration act.

You know @CO-CO the one I read at Immi 1 Bangkok. It is around 100 pages thick. Unfortunately I only read the page concerning stays based on Thai wife.
But you know Ray,,, Being proved so horribly wrong that time. I bet that rule/policy is in there. Just because it is so unreasonable and stupid.

There is some events in your life that dull over time. I will never forget that day.
WHY DID I DO IT? I am not so pig headed any more.
They gave me a letter banning me from Immi 1 you know.
I doubt it was recorded though but I am in no hurry to find out if its real. That was just to kick me up the arse on the way out.

PS for folk that don't know. That document is secret and cannot be viewed. And anyway you would have to be able to read Thai.
Bye the way if anybody has read the actual 1979 act and there is translations. almost every paragraph states. "Refer to the policy".

Last edited:
"Based upon the sole discretion of the I.O." is all one really has to know. (Period.)
Not true, some definitions in the policy state specifically that some points are not negotiable at the discretion of Officers only the minister. I kid you not.
That was in the section I read.

Not true, some definitions in the policy state specifically that some points are not negotiable at the discretion of Officers only the minister. I kid you not.
That was in the section I read.
A marriage extension arguably comes under that umbrella as local IO's have no discretion.

A marriage extension arguably comes under that umbrella as local IO's have no discretion.
Are you suggesting an extension based on retirement, as an example, might be under the officers discretion, depending perhaps on how much more than 1900b is on offer?

Are you suggesting an extension based on retirement, as an example, might be under the officers discretion, depending perhaps on how much more than 1900b is on offer?

No Charles, quite the opposite.

Marriage extensions have to go up a level for sign off (one of the reasons for the one month under consideration period). I think Surin applications go to Korat (or Khon Kaen).... @gotlost will correct me.

A local IO can immediately sign off a retirement extension.

This is also why agents can only obtain (no money) retirement extensions and not marriage extensions.

No Charles, quite the opposite.

Marriage extensions have to go up a level for sign off (one of the reasons for the one month under consideration period). I think Surin applications go to Korat (or Khon Kaen).... @gotlost will correct me.

A local IO can immediately sign off a retirement extension.

This is also why agents can only obtain (no money) retirement extensions and not marriage extensions.
Khon Kaen

I'm confused.

I've been led to believe the police and immigration systems don't share information.

At what point were you stopped by police and why did they want to see your passport?

I've been stopped by traffic police a couple of times. As soon as I show my driving licence I get moved on. No need for police computers.
Oops, I meant to say I keep my driving licence photocopy.

A local friend did a retirement extension last week, at his local Immi Office. He had money in the bank. However the Immi officer reminded him that he had done his extension for each of the past 5 years, filled in all of the forms on his behalf and charged him 4,000baht!!!!!!!

You do not have to carry your passport now.
A copy of the passport is now accepted.
Pink card is often accepted for hotel bookings instead of a passport.

A local friend did a retirement extension last week, at his local Immi Office. He had money in the bank. However the Immi officer reminded him that he had done his extension for each of the past 5 years, filled in all of the forms on his behalf and charged him 4,000baht!!!!!!!

Is your friend not very bright? ;)

Back