Changed rules again

Not in Australia, it would seem! Anything less than an amphur produced Marriage Certificate is insufficient anywhere in the world

Aren't we talking about the same thing?

Obviously you need the marriage certificate and registration of that is not unreasonable - the same happens in Thailand.

However, the question from @Coffee was whether Ferret had married in Australia.

Yes mate however, the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceromony from a foreign country.
As a stipulation for Pat's prospective spouse visa, we had to wed under Australian law within 9 months
of her arrival for her to obtain her temporary residents visa which...

As was Ferret's reply @CO-CO @Prakhonchai Nick

So, @FERRET, did you just have a wedding in Thailand or was the 'marriage' registered at the amphur.

LATER - Just noticed your reply to Nick...... the wedding and presence of a celebrant means nothing (in legal terms) - the registration at the amphur most certainly does and is legally accepted across the world.
So mate, although it is water under the bridge, give the Aus embassy a ring to let them know, just a thought. :p :p :p

Yes mate however, the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceromony from a foreign country.
As a stipulation for Pat's prospective spouse visa, we had to wed under Australian law within 9 months
of her arrival for her to obtain her temporary residents visa which lasts 3 years then, permanant residenct which lasts 6 years then
her full citizenship.
And there's the difference. A civil ceremony is not legally binding. You would need to do a legal Thai based ceremony whereas you get the legal Thai paperwork, the flowery pink marriage paper. Are you/did you just do a village wedding? That would seem to be the issue back then and the need to marry in AUS or elsewhere.
I would guess they just do not want the extra work a marriage visa requires. Retirement visa is easier for THEM to do and much less paperwork. They are lazy and do not want the extra work, no matter it 'costs' you double the financial requirements to do a retirement visa rather than a marriage visa. Not their problem in their mind.

We did a village wedding long ago, then went to Bangkok a couple months later to the amphur (Amphur of Love they call it) where you do a legal marriage (not a wedding) which actually back then was extremely cheap to do, and right near the US Embassy. Can't remember now as it was 25/30 years ago, but I think we then went to the US Embassy and registered our marriage there as well with the proper paperwork to show legality.

Last edited:
I've not had a pig's head wedding. Just two weddings at the Surin Amphur. If I remember correctly both were less than ฿100.00.

Although I did splash out on a reception for the first one. I put ฿500.00 behind the bar in the Berlin Bar but as there was only my wife, Frank and I there, I got ฿150.00 change.

I've not had a pig's head wedding. Just two weddings at the Surin Amphur. If I remember correctly both were less than ฿100.00.

Although I did splash out on a reception for the first one. I put ฿500.00 behind the bar in the Berlin Bar but as there was only my wife, Frank and I there, I got ฿150.00 change.
No Archa in those days, otherwise would have been cheaper. :)

Yes, I think the cost at the BKK amphur was right around that. 100 baht.

Yes, I think the cost at the BKK amphur was right around that. 100 baht.
Mine was 100 baht in Chiang Mia. A friend of ours who owned a tuk tuk picked us up and took us to the amphur stayed with us. FREE. When we went outside he was there Mrs GL showed our marriage certificate. He motioned us to the back side of his tuk tuk. He had a sign in Thai and English that said just married and 10 foot long string of tin cans. ;;haha;;

That is not what you asked @FERRET - you are befuddling yourself.

1. You asked Ferret - were you married in Thailand prior to getting hitched in Oz ? That has nothing to do with your latest posts. If Ferret was already married in Thailand he follows the standard procedure for a marriage extension (if that is what he has) - my point was about it being unnecessary to marry elsewhere as the Thai marriage is internationally recognised.

2. Mel's issue appears to be that he does not have the correct documents (from his overseas marriage) to satisfy Immigration. I have provided info in the shoutbox.

Also for @Mel Malinowski .....https://aseannow.com/topic/1221628-register-marriage-at-amphor/
On the Thai government website, it states that an acceptable alternative to getting a stamp from the MFA in Bangkok is to have it done by a Thai Embassy, which we did. However, our local authorities will not accept that. Going to Bangkok to do this is expensive and annoying, and we refuse to do it to satisfy conflicting Thai bureaucratic requirements. It's the same reason I am balking at keeping $100,000 USD permanently in a regular bank account (in order to be allowed to guarantee my own health care for the 'wealthy pensioner' category of the LTV, where the fact that not being in a 'money market' investment means I lose about $5,000 USD a year in income. No sensible 'wealthy pensioner' is wealthy if they do such silly things, giving their bank a gift each year. Which is absurd, anywya, as I have many times more than that in the bank in the USA earning interest (but that's not acceptable to Thailand). Bah humbug. I'll just keep renewing my annual as many suggest. I'm switching to the '65,000 THB a month ' alternative to keeping 800,000 on permanent deposit anyway. Marriage visa would just reduce that to 400,000.

Back