Changed rules again

@FERRET were you married in Thailand prior to getting hitched in Oz ?

@Coffee, I don't want to divert you from where you are going with this, but why would you get hitched anywhere else in the world when a marriage in Thailand is internationally valid.

@Coffee, I don't want to divert you from where you are going with this, but why would you get hitched anywhere else in the world when a marriage in Thailand is internationally valid.

Are you stating that Thai Imm will not provide an expat with a visa based on marriage if he married his Thai-citizen spouse overseas ?

Or are you simply stating that Immi just busts the expat's balls every year when trying to extend a visa based on marriage ?

....and no.

So is Mel's issue with Immi that he is only here six months at a time so Immi wants to keep him on the same extension.

Otherwise you have me befuddled.

Why can't an overseas marriage (ie: USA) with Thai Embassy attaching an apostille and certifications notarized along with proper translation and Thai MFA stamp be given sanction by his local ampur ?

(Fully understanding that Thailand has no way of validating the registration of a foreign marriage...it must be a marriage sanctioned and registered in Thailand.)

Last edited:
So is Mel's issue with Immi that he is only here six months at a time so Immi wants to keep him on the same extension.

Otherwise you have me befuddled.

Why can't an overseas marriage (ie: USA) with proper translation and Thai MFA stamp be given sanction by his local ampur ?

That is not what you asked @FERRET - you are befuddling yourself.

1. You asked Ferret - were you married in Thailand prior to getting hitched in Oz ? That has nothing to do with your latest posts. If Ferret was already married in Thailand he follows the standard procedure for a marriage extension (if that is what he has) - my point was about it being unnecessary to marry elsewhere as the Thai marriage is internationally recognised.

2. Mel's issue appears to be that he does not have the correct documents (from his overseas marriage) to satisfy Immigration. I have provided info in the shoutbox.

Also for @Mel Malinowski .....https://aseannow.com/topic/1221628-register-marriage-at-amphor/

I have had a Non-immigrant 'O' one year retirement visa for four years now. I have to pay for a 're-entry permit' every time I leave the country. Renewal at Surin requires a 'same day' bank statement confirming either ฿800,000 on deposit for required period, or ฿65,000 per month (haven't tried that yet, will next year). So far, they have not enforced any insurance requirement. We gave up on marriage visa, as the locals won't accept that we have exactly the right legalization stamps on our USA marriage certificate (certified and stamped by Thai Embassy in LA, US Secretary of State, Washington State Secretary of State, and Clark County marriage official). Not acceptable, so we give up on that one. Also, gave up on TBOI LTR visa program for 'wealthy pensioners' because they would not accept evidence that I have ample resources to pay for my own health care during the 6 months a year I am here. So I'm sticking to annual renewals.
Less stress for you.

That is not what you asked @FERRET - you are befuddling yourself.

1. You asked Ferret - were you married in Thailand prior to getting hitched in Oz ? That has nothing to do with your latest posts. If Ferret was already married in Thailand he follows the standard procedure for a marriage extension (if that is what he has) - my point was...

The reason I was inquiring is I was under the impression that Ferret married Pat in Australia...so I wanted to clarify...since Ferret was successful in changing his visa based on retirement into one based on marriage.

But you are correct since I am befuddling myself with a trip to Immi, trip to ampur Surin, moving funds and making appts at US Consulate.
I'm up to my eyeballs with this.
No worries as I'm not a jumper. :p

That is why I've stated previously that if I can't 'get her done' I'll simply apply for a visa based on retirement and get all the ducks lined up for next year. :)

Additionally a marriage simplifies my after death wishes... and hey-ho, Grandson is a constant source of attention, amusement and cerebral concentration.
Tomorrow night could be a good one.
Continue to enjoy your retirement in paradise.

I have had a Non-immigrant 'O' one year retirement visa for four years now. I have to pay for a 're-entry permit' every time I leave the country.

This has me confused somewhat. If you have entered Thailand on a one year multiple entry 'O' visa you should not need to pay for a re-entry permit.

This has me confused somewhat. If you have entered Thailand on a one year multiple entry 'O' visa you should not need to pay for a re-entry permit.

I think you are teasing.

I think Mel does 90 day reports.

I think you know that embassies no longer issue ME Non-Imm 'O' visas on the basis of retirement.

I think you know that Mel maintains funds to satisfy Thai Immigration requirements.

I think you know that Mel has a 12 month extension based on retirement.

I think you are teasing.

I think Mel does 90 day reports.

I think you know that embassies no longer issue ME Non-Imm 'O' visas on the basis of retirement.

I think you know that Mel maintains funds to satisfy Thai Immigration requirements.

I think you know that Mel has a 12 month extension based on retirement.

Just trying to get clarification.

I didn't know that they ever did.

@FERRET were you married in Thailand prior to getting hitched in Oz ?
Yes mate however, the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceromony from a foreign country.
As a stipulation for Pat's prospective spouse visa, we had to wed under Australian law within 9 months
of her arrival for her to obtain her temporary residents visa which lasts 3 years then, permanant residenct which lasts 6 years then
her full citizenship.

I think you are teasing.

I was staying in Thailand from late 1999 until 2003 on multiple entry 'O' visas (obtained from Lars (of ThaiVisa) and Thai embassies in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Manila). As I was continuing to work intermittently within Asia and was only 50-52 years of age this was the preferred option. In 2002 or 2003, the Thai government reduced the age restriction for extensions of stay (retirement) from 55 to 50 so I then took that option (although continued to work sporadically).

As I unaware of Mel's circumstances other than that he only spends 50% of his time in Thailand, I would have thought that it was feasible for him to be relying on non immigrant 'O' visas (as he stated).

Last edited:
.@FERRET You have me confused by your statement "the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceromony from a foreign country" What do you mean by a civil ceremony? Did you just have a village wedding with no registration at the amphur, like so many Thais do, yet claim to be married? If so, no foreign country will recognise it as a marriage, no matter how much dowry money was on display.

.@FERRET You have me confused by your statement "the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceromony from a foreign country" What do you mean by a civil ceremony? Did you just have a village wedding with no registration at the amphur, like so many Thais do, yet claim to be married? If so, no foreign country will recognise it as a marriage, no matter how much dowry money was on display.
As I said, we had the pigs head wedding with a registered celebrant, (Norweagen ) present and registered it in Sangkha--doccuments provided--2004.
I submitted these with Pat's visa application and was told, as I said, the Australian government do not accept a civil ceromony unless the
celebrant is certified by the Australian embassy in BKK. It was a learning curve for us.

Yes mate however, the Australian government does not recognise a civil ceremony from a foreign country.
As a stipulation for Pat's prospective spouse visa, we had to wed under Australian law within 9 months
of her arrival for her to obtain her temporary residents visa which lasts 3 years then, permanent resident which lasts 6 years then
her full citizenship.

So, @FERRET, did you just have a wedding in Thailand or was the 'marriage' registered at the amphur.

LATER - Just noticed your reply to Nick...... the wedding and presence of a celebrant means nothing (in legal terms) - the registration at the amphur most certainly does and is legally accepted across the world.

The Thai tax office don't accept them too. Been there done that and failed to get the discount!

So, @FERRET, did you just have a wedding in Thailand or was the 'marriage' registered at the amphur.

LATER - Just noticed your reply to Nick...... the wedding and presence of a celebrant means nothing (in legal terms) - the registration at the amphur most certainly does and is legally accepted across the world.

Not in Australia, it would seem! Anything less than an amphur produced Marriage Certificate is insufficient anywhere in the world

Last edited:
Back