Changed rules again

Once per entry, I imagine you could also first obtain a 30 day extension.
90 +30+60 =180 days for 5800 baht. Perhaps the beautiful new night market along the Mekong will be more busy not less.

Old Town Savanakhet is very nice, visiting twice a year is not an unbearable burden especially as you are saving two border runs.

I'd be surprised if they allow two extensions (30 + 60).

However, stranger things have happened.

That horse becoming Pope.

Yup. Something changed at Thai Consulate in Savannakhet.

(No more freebie.)

From Thai Visa

: -, - -
We are getting reports that thai consulate in Savannakhet Lao (across the river from Mukdahan Thailand) is now requiring proof of funds (400K baht or the equivalent) in a bank account (thai or in your country) in order to issue the year/multi Non-O's based on marriage.

There are several confirmed reports this week where people were asked for proof of funds (even people who had their wife with them, and/or had a letter from their wife asking for the year/multi Non-O) and if they didn't have it or couldn't produce it they were sold 90 day single entry Non-O visas.

At this time, we are not certain whether this is a policy change OR just one rogue officer up there with a bee in his bonnet trying to make foreigners hoop jump
1f62e.png

We held off on allowing any posts about it until at least a few people had weighed in with their first hand experience on the matter.
Sadly, even now, we cannot confirm with 100% certainty that proof of funds IS a requirement in every application for the year multi Non-O based on marriage..

So far none of the visa run companies who take people to Savannakhet have been informed by the consulate staff there is a policy change. Those companies bring HUNDREDS of people there every week. You'd think that IF there was a change they would be notified..
1f615.png

They are still issuing 90 day single entry Non-O without proof of funds, without your wife present. You can get 5 months of stay out of that visa (the 90 day entry stamp and the one 60 day visit thai family extension). That can buy you time to see if this blows over or if it becomes a cut in stone policy..

One last bit, just so every one is clear, the Savannakhet consulate never did issue a year/multi Non-O based on raising thai children, OR based on retirement
1f632.png
The year/multi Non-O based on marriage was not listed as available on their site where the marriage visa requirements are (it never was, they just sold it when you applied if you asked)

I apologize to people who tried to post about Savannakhet the last few days. I decided not to let those posts on until I had feedback from people. As I said even WITH the experiences people had so far there is no consensus that it is a new permanent policy or not

I'm wondering why this has happened. Consulates are not Thai Immigration and can do what Immi can or does not do. The money that was coming into the consulate (owned and run by who?) for this and they will be losing thousands of dollars, as well as the hotels, restaurants, minvan drivers, Laos Immigration entry fees as well (1800 baht now), the bridge bus itself, etc, etc, etc. Daily. There's not much tourism there already and most of the farangs you see there are there for visas. Will it change back? We will see. It really is all about the Benjamins.

From ASEAN NOW

25 minutes ago, WebGuy said:
Guys,

I received one year non-immigrant O visa today. Please look at my previous post in this thread for financial proof details I have submitted.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond.

Cheers!

Expand

Just connecting those details for ease of reading:

Guys, the latest report from Savannakhet:

I submitted the documentation for non-immigrant O visa based on marriage today at 9:15am. I also provided my child's birth certificate and copy of tabian ban as well as KR2 paper and it was taken by the immigration officer.

When I said I would like to apply for one year non-immigrant O visa, she immediately said I needed financial requirements proved. She accepted the copies of my bank book and also had a detailed look at my original bank book.

That was all. The money wasn't seasoned but was transferred to my bank account yesterday.

I think I should receive my visa tomorrow and I not, I will inform you here.

Latest report from Savannakhet:-

Hi everyone,

I went to Savannakhet 2 days ago to apply for multiple non-o visa based on marriage.

Arrived at embassy at 8:20 am. The line is not crazy long as what it used to be. Maybe like 30 people on Wednesday and 40 on Thursday. It looks like that after new requirements (400k THB) not many people go there.
I was out of embassy at 9:10 am. Very fast compared to previous years.

Here is what they wanted from me:

Filled out visa application
2 passport photos
Passport
Signed copy of my passport
Signed copy of wife´s passport
Signed copy of wife´s ID card
Signed copy of wife´s Tabien Baan
Signed copy of Marriage certificate. They wanted to see the original as well.
Signed copy of Laos visa (entry stamp and visa sticker)
Signed copies of all pages from my bank book with 400k deposited in the account. No need to season the money. I deposited 400 k into my Thai bank account 3 days before applying. They also wanted to see the orginal bank book.
5000 THB for multiple entry

Staff was friendly and didnt ask any questions. I prepared also bank statements and certificate from bank but they were not interested in that.

Latest report from Savannakhet:-

Hi everyone,

I went to Savannakhet 2 days ago to apply for multiple non-o visa based on marriage.

Arrived at embassy at 8:20 am. The line is not crazy long as what it used to be. Maybe like 30 people on Wednesday and 40 on Thursday. It looks like that after new requirements (400k THB) not many people go there.
I was out of embassy at 9:10 am. Very fast compared to previous years.

Here is what they wanted from me:

Filled out visa application
2 passport photos
Passport
Signed copy of my passport
Signed copy of wife´s passport
Signed copy of wife´s ID card
Signed copy of wife´s Tabien Baan
Signed copy of Marriage certificate. They wanted to see the original as well.
Signed copies of all pages from my bank book with 400k deposited in the account. No need to season the money. I deposited 400 k into my Thai bank account 3 days before applying. They also wanted to see the orginal bank book.
5000 THB for multiple entry

Staff was friendly and didnt ask any questions. I prepared also bank statements and certificate from bank but they were not interested in that.
As I have posted previously, and as I do my marriage extension at Chonburi immi. The first two times were a learning curve, not steep though.
Basically, have your doccumentation in order, all signed in Blue ink, 2 copies of everything and smile politely.
Being blissfully unaware of the various methods used to obtain extensions, I will stick to the path of legallity so,
If the house of cards tumble, I won't be standing under it.

I'm going to have to go to Chonburi immi to get a definate answer.

Reporting on application for making a visa or extending ones visa based on marriage from Savannakhet.

Chonburi Imm cannot provide that info...and most likely will not.

Of course they may be able to provide insight into what is required ay counter 2 Chonburi...but not as to what will be required in Surin.

In what universe is this vaguely anything to do with a foreign consulate in a different country. They must of dug way too far up their own ass to pull that one out.
That is like going to an embassy in your own country and being asked what is your legality to be in that country.
I question this BS and that's why I have such a great time. Yes, If I could only learn to shut up. Believe me I have tried. It only made things worse.

In what universe is this vaguely anything to do with a foreign consulate in a different country. They must of dug way too far up their own ass to pull that one out.
That is like going to an embassy in your own country and being asked what is your legality to be in that country.
I question this BS and that's why I have such a great time. Yes, If I could only learn to shut up. Believe me I have tried. It only made things worse.

It doesn't sound to me like you have a great time :) :)

To me, it is obvious that you should evidence the legality of being in that country....... no different to having to evidence the legal right of abode for a UK based sponsor of a Thai citizen when applying for a UK visa.

It doesn't sound to me like you have a great time :) :)

To me, it is obvious that you should evidence the legality of being in that country....... no different to having to evidence the legal right of abode for a UK based sponsor of a Thai citizen when applying for a UK visa.
I think we will have to disagree on that one. Your comparing Apples with Oranges in your example. :confused:

I'm certainly well behind the times. I didn't know of a one year single entry married visa.
It can't be an extension I believe as my current one year O runs out on the sixth this month and I have already used the extra 90 days you can get at the end of 12 months. We will see tomorrow I guess. Fark me.
I have had a Non-immigrant 'O' one year retirement visa for four years now. I have to pay for a 're-entry permit' every time I leave the country. Renewal at Surin requires a 'same day' bank statement confirming either ฿800,000 on deposit for required period, or ฿65,000 per month (haven't tried that yet, will next year). So far, they have not enforced any insurance requirement. We gave up on marriage visa, as the locals won't accept that we have exactly the right legalization stamps on our USA marriage certificate (certified and stamped by Thai Embassy in LA, US Secretary of State, Washington State Secretary of State, and Clark County marriage official). Not acceptable, so we give up on that one. Also, gave up on TBOI LTR visa program for 'wealthy pensioners' because they would not accept evidence that I have ample resources to pay for my own health care during the 6 months a year I am here. So I'm sticking to annual renewals.

I have had a Non-immigrant 'O' one year retirement visa for four years now. I have to pay for a 're-entry permit' every time I leave the country. Renewal at Surin requires a 'same day' bank statement confirming either ฿800,000 on deposit for required period, or ฿65,000 per month (haven't tried that yet, will next year). So far, they have not enforced any insurance requirement. We gave up on marriage visa, as the locals won't accept that we have exactly the right legalization stamps on our USA marriage certificate (certified and stamped by Thai Embassy in LA, US Secretary of State, Washington State Secretary of State, and Clark County marriage official). Not acceptable, so we give up on that one. Also, gave up on TBOI LTR visa program for 'wealthy pensioners' because they would not accept evidence that I have ample resources to pay for my own health care during the 6 months a year I am here. So I'm sticking to annual renewals.

Just get married in Thailand...that really is the paperwork they want. :)

I have a one year multi entry non-immigrant 'O' visa based upon my marriage to a Thai. That visa was stamped into my passport back in 2002 in the Singapore Thai embassy and the details have been transferred to subsequent passports since.. That was the last visa I used to enter Thailand. Since then I have applied for and been granted 21 (or 22) one year extensions of stay. If I wish to leave the country and return without losing my status I need to pay for a multiple re-entry permit (฿3,800) which is valid for the remainder of my extension of stay or a single re-entry permit (฿1,000.00). There is no requirement (at present) for any Covid-19 or other health insurance unless the original visa was O/A (as far as I know).

Last edited:
I have a one year multi entry non-immigrant 'O' visa based upon my marriage to a Thai. That visa was stamped into my passport back in 2002 in the Singapore Thai embassy and the details have been transferred to subsequent passports since.. That was the last visa I used to enter Thailand. Since then I have applied for and been granted 21 (or 22) one year extensions of stay. If I wish to leave the country and return without losing my status I need to pay for a multiple re-entry permit (฿3,800) which is valid for the remainder of my extension of stay or a single re-entry permit (฿1,000.00). There is no requirement (at present) for any Covid-19 or other health insurance unless the original visa was O/A (as far as I know).

Probably one of the most accurate, and succinct, posts I have seen on this subject.

Back