Curry curry curry

Coming soon to an airport near you .................................

My wife has just told me that R Airlines are intending to provide a service between Surin and Don Muang. I can find no reference to any such service on the net (in English).

Sure...but you have to catch the plane at Buriram Airfield.
The bus completes the journey to Surin town. :cool:

How this translates to vindaloo at Starbeam I haven't a clue.

There was something in the Thai News about a month ago concerning reopening Surin's airport once again. I seem to remember that they said a decsion would be forthcoming during the middle of March. Maybe Yorkie's wife knows something of this.

Tinker, tailor , soldier , spy.

"One word , Yorky. Just say the word to me and nobody else and I'll know who the spy is", quipped Control.

You can pay a little extra round trip and get the mini-van out of the Surin bus depot area.
Air Asia operate a fly n drive and use the Kid Teung Coffeee Shop as their pickup and drop off point. Similarly, Nok Air use the Majestic Hotel as their drop off
/collection point.

Sure...but you have to catch the plane at Buriram Airfield.
The bus completes the journey to Surin town. :cool:

How this translates to vindaloo at Starbeam I haven't a clue.

Neither do I. Another new thread should be made, maybe? :rolleyes:

Perhaps a mod or admin could start a new thread and transfer the relevant posts from here?

Until the transfer happens......
A well-placed source, a Thai tennis friend of mine, told me yesterday that an outfit called R Airlines will be flying in and out of Surin from Monday 14th March.
He had no information on from where and where to but it sounds interesting.
I googled R Airlines and got nothing meaningful like routes, how to book etc.
Watch this space.

I noticed that too, Yorky.
Perhaps R stands for rubber band.

You had to say that JB, I used fly about in a turbo prop aircraft. It was used on what is called the milkrun around the back blocks of the Northern Territory. Because a lot of the stops were very quick say 10 mins on the ground to prevent the turbo engine getting a hot spot, the pilot would stand out the front of the aircraft moving the props by hand until take off again. There was a common joke with newbies on this flight. They would ask what is the pilot doing. Any old hand would pipe up and explain "Winding the rubber band of course".
Oh and don't forget the OP!!! I have tried all ! The Starbeam curries and they are great. Strangely enough I did not find them hot, But that is just me. Too much Isaan food I think.

Last edited:
A bold attempt, Rice, to keep up with the direction this thread has taken at the same time as restoring it to its original course....well done!

R-Airlines operating out of Don Mueang Airport and operating the Airbus A321, the largest of the family of A320's.

R=Airlines.jpg

The A321 typically accommodates 185 passengers in a two-class configuration (16 in business class and 169 in economy) – while offering unbeatable economics in high-density seating (with up to 220 passengers) for charter and low-cost operators.

From 2018, an optimised use of cabin space, increased exit limits and a new cabin door configuration will enable new standard capacities for the A321neo (new engine option) of 206 in a two-class configuration and 240 passengers in high-density.

Seems a tad overkill to use an aircraft of this size to be operating flights in/out of Surin. Maybe just the job in November (Elephant Festival) but the rest of the year I would have thought they would struggle to fill that number of seats. Then again, what do I know about the airline business and typical route volumes? Mind you, the staff look pretty.

R-airlines staff.jpg

Only planes I used to fly in and out of Surin Airport were turbo props. Air Andaman, Phuket Air, and PB Air were the ones that had routes through Korat coming up here, all at different times of course. One would go out of business or stop their BKK-Surin route, and another soon would take its place. Those were the 'good old days'. 1200 to 1500 baht one way. Almost always a seat available. An hour up and back. Beat the shit out of bus and train travel up or back to/from Bangkok. After a 24 hour flight from Boston that short hop was a f**king blessing, rather than an 8 hour ride on a crappy old bus. Pisses me off that there is no plane service out of the airport here. Was extremely convenient back then. I lived ten minutes from the airport. The plane would leave from Surin around 7 or 8 in the morning to Don Muaeng. You'd be in Bangkok an hour later and in your hotel room an hour later by taxi, if that, depending on morning traffic.

Last edited:
Back