electric bill

Imagine pointing a hair drier set to 'hot' down from the ceiling. If the temperature below is cooler, that will have the effect of heating it up because the heat at ceiling height is at the higher temperature . Obviously, a ceiling fan doesn't have exactly the same effect, but it is a similar principle.

If the ceiling fan is very powerful, it may push the air below it across and downwards and even horizontally to a degree. Air at a lower level will be forced to go somewhere because of it, but it is more likely to equalise the temperature at all levels than to cool the air at head height or lower.

We benefit from a cooling sensation when fans operate because of its effect of evaporating moisture that is released through the pores in our skin - in much the same way, for example, as a Bedouin might carry water in a slightly porous goatskin or sheepskin bag: the water oozes very slowly through the bag, and evaporates from the surface keeping the rest of the bag's contents cooler than would otherwise be the case. For anyone remotely interested, it is called Evaporative Cooling which occurs because the fastest-moving (hotter) water molecules escape as vapor, leaving behind the slower-moving (cooler) molecules.

I think a wine cooler would be a better analogy. For me anyway.

My ceiling fans have 5 settings so they can be as powerful as you wish. However, if they are both on setting 5, I can't hear the telly.

3260 baht this month which is less than last month but still 1000 more than last year same month.

We only ever have one Aircon on at a time.

Last year at this time the Ft was much lower - ฿0.24per unit

In fact, last month the Ft was half as much more than what it is this month.

[Edit: April Ft - ฿1.5492; May Ft - ฿0.9119]

Last edited:
Ivor-Less than B200 wow.
Our bill this mth B1538 is B600 less than April s.
Interestingly we used 333 units & our bill shows a discount of B150.
I thought they were only giving discounts if you used less than 300 units.

Last year at this time the Ft was much lower - ฿0.24per unit

In fact, last month the Ft was half as much more than what it is this month.

[Edit: April Ft - ฿1.5492; May Ft - ฿0.9119]
How come your April Ft was 1.5492? Mine was Bt0.9343, same as Jan/Feb and March. This month it has reduced to Bt0.9119. Massive discount of around 22baht!!!!!!!

How come your April Ft was 1.5492? Mine was Bt0.9343, same as Jan/Feb and March. This month it has reduced to Bt0.9119. Massive discount of around 22baht!!!!!!!

I have no idea how they currently produce the Ft. It was reasonably static for a couple of years at a time but during the last 12 months it's been up and down like a bride's nightie. If I remember, I'll take a scan when I return from snooker.

@Yorky Looks like you were charged at the non-residential rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A refund is in order.

Ft surcharge during January – April 2023
The Electricity Regulatory Commission (ERC) passed a resolution concurring the
Automatic Adjustment Mechanism (Ft) is going to be collected from the customers in electrical
invoice during January to April 2023 as following;
1) Ft surcharge for residential customers is 0.9343 baht/kWh
2) Ft surcharge for other customers (non-residential) is 1.5492 baht/kWh

What sort of commercial enterprise are you operating from your home @Yorky ? Must be as a result of the vast quantities of Archa that pass through your gate giving PEA the wrong impression. :grinning:

What sort of commercial enterprise are you operating from your home @Yorky ? Must be as a result of the vast quantities of Archa that pass through your gate giving PEA the wrong impression. :grinning:

If one can dispatch their wife for passport duty then assuredly a trip to PEA for a Thai language lesson seems a piece of cake to get to the bottom of this matter.

(Definitely will not require a years worth of phone calls and e-communications.)

I have no idea how they currently produce the Ft. It was reasonably static for a couple of years at a time but during the last 12 months it's been up and down like a bride's nightie. If I remember, I'll take a scan when I return from snooker.

Scan of April and May:

Electric.jpg

&12785.01 baht is my latest bill...400baht more than last month's horror.
Then there's 3600 baht for the other house, Connor's batching in..but several pumps supplying the bore pump and reticulation + our house water's included on that.
We got off a bit lighter this month, B10, 656. Had all the aircons serviced today so, may make a little difference :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps @Merlin could explain why anticipating a scan of a bridal nightie would be considered "green"?

Unless it was a scan of the bridal nightie from Princess Anne's marriage to Mark Phillips when, on arriving at their honeymoon hotel's reception desk and being asked if they wanted the bridal suite, she said no, that that she'd hang on to his ears until he got used to it.

Her favourite bridle was green, allegedly.

I'm not sure that it was her marriage to Mark Phillips actually. Wasn't he the one she nicknamed "Fog" because he was thick, dense, and rather wet?

Back