Extension of Visa Based on Retirement

it's bureaucracy all over the world, my mom had to give a certified copy of her diploma when she applied for her pension some 30 years ago and this after 45 year of teaching ... in Belgium ... I know it's an open goal to bash Belgians ... I'm going on the p&ss right now so ...

Be forewarned - Surin Imm now [possibly] enforcing 'Attachment to the Order of Immigration Bureau no. 242/2566 dated September 27, 2023'.

In particular be very clear maintaining your total funds above minimum requirements in a Thai bank account throughout the entire year relating to Criteria 4.
View attachment 70456

Apparently if you're receiving a pension Criteria 5 may alleviate some pain.
Your mileage may vary.

Now I'm beginning to understand why some folks get married in LOS. :p

Attention @lightfoot
This is the previous thread that you were searching for.

A friend has just divorced his Thai wife, solely because as a Dutch citizen he can have a 50% higher state pension as unmarried than when he was married. Now of course he has to go for a retirement extension, at double the cost, or pay some 20,000bt under the table to have the extension "arranged"

A friend has just divorced his Thai wife, solely because as a Dutch citizen he can have a 50% higher state pension as unmarried than when he was married. Now of course he has to go for a retirement extension, at double the cost, or pay some 20,000bt under the table to have the extension "arranged"

Seriously Nick, even if his Thai wife is not eligible to collect a state pension ?

Something sounds awry.

Seriously Nick, even if his Thai wife is not eligible to collect a state pension ?

Something sounds awry.
In most countries a state pension is only paid to a wife who is either a citizen of the said country, or has worked in that country and paid pension contributions,

I am only aware that unmarried people get a higher state pension than married folk, in the Netherlands (Holland) and Australia.

Not double the 'cost'. Retirement extension applications cost 1,900 Baht - same as those based on marriage.

He only needs to go 'under the table ' if he is unable to meet the financial requirements for that extension.

in Belgium they do !!! Plus when you are maried you get a higher pension !!!

How do they benefit from a husbands pension? Just interested.

A higher amount for a married person differs to Holland (and differs to the Thai logic of financial requirements for visa purposes).

In most countries a state pension is only paid to a wife who is either a citizen of the said country, or has worked in that country and paid pension contributions,

I am only aware that unmarried people get a higher state pension than married folk, in the Netherlands (Holland) and Australia.
And New Zealand.

Meeting the income criteria is not a problem.
The insurance is the pain .
Even though I can get insurance acceptable to immigration . It is not worth the paper it is written on. I do have health insurance cover.
But it is not accepted by immigration.
It is by far cheaper to pay an agent or the other two alternatives are to the marriage or to Laos and go onto the Non O.

Last edited:
Even though I can get insurance . It is not worth the paper it is written on.
It is by far cheaper to pay an agent or the other two alternatives are to the marriage or to Laos and go onto the Non O.
Agree and I'm sorting a Health/Accident policy at the moment (not cheap! But very high coverage)

Even though I can get insurance acceptable to immigration . It is not worth the paper it is written on. I do have health insurance cover.
But it is not accepted by immigration.

I have not been keeping up Les but I presume you have an extension based on an original O-A visa.

I am aware of people who have exited Thailand and reentered on either a 3 month Non-Imm 'O' visa - or visa exempt and started the whole process from scratch with their local Immigration office i e. initial O visa (show money) then extend for 12 months after that....no insurance required.

Back