Extension of Visa Based on Retirement

@Coco: my balls are as big as will fit in my pants as is. I've been a boss my whole adult life. Locals call me 'Tong Di'. In fact, my Thai wife says i'm too pushy a farang as it is, and embarrass her and put people off when I expect fast action, so I try to squash the American attitude, slow down, be deferential, and smile more, and accept doing things the Thai way. If I take your advice and charge into Surin immigration in a pushy way, it may make things worse long term. One of my questions is just what the regulations say about the income. Is it specified as having to be 'pension'? (That is possible: when we lived in Hawaii for 10 years after retirement, I had to pay Hawaii State income tax on my private retirement income because it was not a government pension which are exempt) Mine is technically not. I have an ample income from money I've donated to my university which is invested by them in ways better than I can get as an individual, and paid to me periodically. They get to keep what's left when I die to fund scholarships. However, that is not a 'pension'. My Social Security monthly income itself is just below the required point, perhaps 60,000 ฿ a month. Does anyone here have access to what the rules say in Thai?

No one said anything about 'charging in'. You approach Immigration with the confidence of knowing that you meet their financial requirements. You di that without the appendage of a wife - or any other Thai. You and two Thais together invariably works out as 2 vs 1 - not in your favour. A divide and rule tactic often employed by Immigration.

Know that they are wrong; the funds from overseas DO NOT need to be from government. Most of my money comes from my investment in my crematorium. I have never been asked to provide information about the source of funds; Jomtien Immigration tick their box against the Kasikorn bank certification that I brought in 800k+ from overseas.

What if you don't have a wife?

Immigration problems is one reason I use multi O from Savannakhet. Easy to obtain and not much more expense.

I believe an extension with multi re entris permit is the same price.

Plus, I like to travel every now and then so handy to have a multi entry in my passport.
Thought things had all changed at what is available now at 'Savana'. Think it's in a thread by Cent somewhere here.

The details below from Siam Legal spell it all out correctly​

Stargazer should go back to Surin Immigration ALONE, ask again for change to monthly income and clearly point out that there is no requirement for the money to come from a government source, and indeed the source of income is irrelevant.

If the hag refuses,and cannot show you proof or her requirement, ask to see the big Boss (if its not her) and if it is politely tell her that you will refer the matter to Immigration in Bangkok

Over the 37 years I have spent here in Thailand I have had several altercations with authority (Amphurs, Land Office and Passport Office). I deal alone with the relevant people, totally politely, (invariably the boss as he/she is the only competent person and has a better grasp of English) and have been successful on every occasion​

Siam Legal International

Qualifications​

• Applicant must be 50 years of age or over
  • Must meet any of the financial requirements:
    1. Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the visa application
    2. Monthly Income of 65,000 THB
    3. Combination of security deposit and annual income with a total of 800,000 THB
  • Supporting documents are as follows:
    1. In case of security deposit, you will provide an updated bank book or passbook together with a bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
    2. In case of income, a letter from your embassy in Thailand verifying your monthly income;
    3. In case, your embassy does not issue an income letter, you will provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular deposit of 65,000 baht into a Thai bank account.

Interesting you call them 'rules' as opposed to 'laws'. I think that could be the problem as IO treat them as guidance notes and make them into whatever they choose.
Read my posts. This is definitive! The act states all immigration law flows from "The Policy statement" The policy statement is not for publication and all policy in it is "LAW"
or is it lore? I disputed some crazy points and pushed so far to have the policy statement dossier as it was, thrust in my face to read. By two very senior female officers.
All those crazy "laws" are in there. Can you just imagine how this smart arse felt. Left me with the huge realisation that there was no logic in their process whats so ever.
This is what happens when "The Emperor has no clothes" syndrome works to its logical conclusion. Some Somchai comes up with a stupid idea and nobody tells him it is stupid.
eg Thailand uses a computerized system of births deaths and marriages as do most countries the marriage part is recorded as Kor Ror 2.
BUT ! if you don't present an original flowery Kor Ror 3 that is not recorded on computer just in a dusty book at the Amphur where you got it no Marriage extension is permitted.
You are not married unless you can show a flowery piece of paper. Does not matter what is recorded as Kor Ror 2 at ALL.

Shock horror, on 11th Nov I send a lengthy letter and 'flowery divorce certificate to DWP in UK by EMS for 1420b, THEN it went missing. Phoned 3 times to check and after intigating an investigation through Thai P.O., the bloody thing returned back to me today! DOH!!!!

Shock horror, on 11th Nov I send a lengthy letter and 'flowery divorce certificate to DWP in UK by EMS for 1420b, THEN it went missing. Phoned 3 times to check and after intigating an investigation through Thai P.O., the bloody thing returned back to me today! DOH!!!!

I wouldn't trust anything important to EMS; Airmail is just as reliable.

What you should have done is.......

Enquire whether any friends or forum members are traveling to the UK. I could have taken the letter and posted it in the UK when I arrived on 14th December.

I did actually take an envelope for someone and I posted it on 15th December.....it arrived 2 days later.

@Stargazer. What's it got to do with your wife? YOU are the Immigrant!!!!!!!! Retirement extensions do not need wives!
Well, if you don't need your wife to renew annual visa, it's news to Surin Immigration. They made my wife show National ID card, and sign several forms. I have to just about laugh every time I have to sign 10 copies or so of my passport, etc.. WHERE is the warehouse where they store all these copies??

The details below from Siam Legal spell it all out correctly​

Stargazer should go back to Surin Immigration ALONE, ask again for change to monthly income and clearly point out that there is no requirement for the money to come from a government source, and indeed the source of income is irrelevant.

If the hag refuses,and cannot show you proof or her requirement, ask to see the big Boss (if its not her) and if it is politely tell her that you will refer the matter to Immigration in Bangkok

Over the 37 years I have spent here in Thailand I have had several altercations with authority (Amphurs, Land Office and Passport Office). I deal alone with the relevant people, totally politely, (invariably the boss as he/she is the only competent person and has a better grasp of English) and have been successful on every occasion​

Siam Legal International

Qualifications​

• Applicant must be 50 years of age or over
  • Must meet any of the financial requirements:
    1. Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the visa application
    2. Monthly Income of 65,000 THB
    3. Combination of security deposit and annual income with a total of 800,000 THB
  • Supporting documents are as follows:
    1. In case of security deposit, you will provide an updated bank book or passbook together with a bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
    2. In case of income, a letter from your embassy in Thailand verifying your monthly income;
    3. In case, your embassy does not issue an income letter, you will provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular deposit of 65,000 baht into a Thai bank account.
Siam Legal says the 800,000 baht must come from an overseas source. I was under the impression that Thai Immigration don’t state that on the website. The monthly income probably would need to.

Siam Legal says the 800,000 baht must come from an overseas source. I was under the impression that Thai Immigration don’t state that on the website. The monthly income probably would need to.

Interesting. All 'rules' might be worked out if one employs Siam Legal to represent when one is making the visa.

I still believe Imm can decide to make their own 'interpretation' of regulations and codes at any time they wish.
Ye olde "at the sole discretion of the IO..."

Siam Legal also stated that one must have 15 days left on making another visa...Imm stated 20 and would not budge.
Do you want to stand there across the counter and argue ?
"Can I speak with you for a quick minute in your cubicle ?"
"No."

As for 800,000 seasoned or 65,000/month - of course those monies must have to come from outside LOS with proof...(otherwise you're working illegally on a Visa based on Retirement).

And of course like with anything there are ways around the 'codified regulations'.
Just ask Thaksin.

Last edited:
The only thing that changed is the need to show 400k baht in a bank account. The good thing is it only needs to be in the bank on the date of application and it doesn't have to be a Thai bank.

That does not hold true for a Visa based on Retirement (aka title of thread).

"Cash, ass or grass, Willie - nobody rides for free."
As I am doing my extension on a married status next month and, with all the conjecture in this OP,
I went to Jomtien immi just after new year and was told by the IO, on counter 6, married extension--nothing has changed from last year,
basically, make sure your ducks are lined up, I mean, It's no ones first time.

Interesting. All 'rules' might be worked out if one employs Siam Legal to represent when one is making the visa.

I still believe Imm can decide to make their own 'interpretation' of regulations and codes at any time they wish.
Ye olde "at the sole discretion of the IO..."

Siam Legal also stated that one must have 15 days left on making another visa...Imm stated 20 and would not budge.
Do you want to stand there across the counter and argue ?
"Can I speak with you for a quick minute in your cubicle ?"
"No."

As for 800,000 seasoned or 65,000/month - of course those monies must have to come from outside LOS with proof...(otherwise you're working illegally on a Visa based on Retirement).

And of course like with anything there are ways around the 'codified regulations'.
Just ask Thaksin.
I see your point about Sole Discretion and the 800,000 seasoned. That’s good advice.

Well, if you don't need your wife to renew annual visa, it's news to Surin Immigration. They made my wife show National ID card, and sign several forms. I have to just about laugh every time I have to sign 10 copies or so of my passport, etc.. WHERE is the warehouse where they store all these copies??

What would have happened if you didn't have a wife?

That does not hold true for a Visa based on Retirement (aka title of thread).
It actually does true good for a VISA (as he described from Savannakhet).

It does not hold true for a marriage based extension of stay.

Should all be on a computer I would think. But it seems either this is not done or for some odd reason they don't use the stored info we have all already provided over the years.

Back