I received this today.

What they want is someone (in a profession detailed on their list) to confirm that the copy of my passport is indeed a copy of my actual passport and that the picture thereon looks like me. I've already told them that if the picture didn't look like me then the British Government wouldn't have issued the passport.

What they want is someone (in a profession detailed on their list) to confirm that the copy of my passport is indeed a copy of my actual passport and that the picture thereon looks like me. I've already told them that if the picture didn't look like me then the British Government wouldn't have issued the passport.

Do you think that your sarcasm is cutting any ice with them?

Solution!

My daughter can verify that my passport is legitimate and that the picture is a true likeness. It was young Mr Grace who suggested it today. I do not know why I didn't think of if before.

My daughter (and her husband) is a serving officer of the Trident division of the Metropolitan Police Force.

Last edited:
Solution!

My daughter can verify that my passport is legitimate and that the picture is a true likeness. It was young Mr Grace who suggested it today. I do not know why I didn't think of if before.

My daughter (and her husband) is a serving officer of the Trident division of the Metropolitan Police Force.

Your daughter is family she will be barred from certifying.

There is no proviso within the documents that say that. Anyway, she is now married and doesn't have my surname any more.

As a man of common sense I am sure that you would not think it logical to allow a family member to certify such documents.

As a man of common sense I am sure that you would not think it logical to allow a family member to certify such documents.

It's a fukking bank CO-CO. It's not important. There is nowhere on the form that states you shall be liable to prosecution for falsifying information. Bloody prima donnas acting above their station in life. Yes, they may be able to close my account but that is it. They could do that at their whim at any time anyway. They cannot take legal action against me for not providing the information to which they believe they are entitled because they are not legal requirements (although they do tend to imply that they are).

What action do you think they will take if they discover that the certifier of my passport is a relation? Send out the militia? Put me in chains? They couldn't take any action against the certifier because the certification was true and accurate.

It's all bollocks anyway.

You have my total moral support Yorky. Fight the system any which way you can. I do it regularly and thoroughly enjoy the "sport"

Another example upon which I haven't pulled them yet:

"....the address you have provided in your Customer Information Pack, slightly differs from the address provided on your previous proof of address."

Not really an unusual observation until you notice that they have spelt my surname wrong in the email!

[As we all know (but they are not aware) you could ask six different people to translate Thai script into the Roman alphabet and you will get six different answers].

You have my total moral support Yorky. Fight the system any which way you can. I do it regularly and thoroughly enjoy the "sport"

Like you, Yorky has time on his hands to enjoy the sport....... but so far he has achieved bugger all. Potentially only one loser......... that is not to say that the game should not be enjoyed while it lasts. But, in the absence of like for like alternatives, Yorky has more to lose than NWI.

The other irony is that if Yorky's dealings were with a Thai bank/Immigration you would probably be saying T. I. T. - this is Thailand you have to adapt to their ways!

Like you, Yorky has time on his hands to enjoy the sport....... but so far he has achieved bugger all. Potentially only one loser......... that is not to say that the game should not be enjoyed while it lasts. But, in the absence of like for like alternatives, Yorky has more to lose than NWI.

The other irony is that if Yorky's dealings were with a Thai bank/Immigration you would probably be saying T. I. T. - this is Thailand you have to adapt to their ways!

Whilst at the end of the day it may be necessary to throw the towel in, especially when dealing with Thai officialdom, nevertheless give the bastards a run for their money, and make them work a bit.
I am currently dealing with a Thai bank over a serious problem. I do not expect a positive outcome from them, but will persevere, and have the possibility of going to the Ombudsman, if the bank will not resolve the issue.
Had a recent issue with a Thai Insurer. Didn't get any help through normal channels, but eventually found the boss via his FB page, who bent over backwards to resolve the issue. Very satisfying.

Agree.

We had an earlier (unresolved) issue with a Thai bank and I think it is important to persist........ eventually they will evolve towards international standards.

For a U.K. institution (like Yorky with NWI......... NWI, not Yorky being the institution) they should know better; they don't because everyone is wrapped up in the chains of regulation and the fear that goes with it.

Back