Internet Banking - Bangkok Bank

nomad97

Resident Geek
Some years ago I tried to open an Internet banking account with Bangkok Bank only to be told that I was not eligible for such an account. Following Yorky's recent trials and tribulations with various banking matters, and comments from Nick and Co-Co, I decided it was time to try again. A week ago last Monday, I tried to set up an Internet account with Bangkok Bank's online application process. Once again, I was rejected and informed to contact Bankok Bank. I downloaded and printed off the 6 page application, filled it in and took the completed application to the Bangkok Bank located in Tesco Lotus, Surin. The young lady in the bank was very helpful, took photocopies of my bank book and passport and told me she would send everything to Bangkok Bank in Bangkok for processing. She said she would contact me in a week's time.

Today, I received a call from the young lady to be informed that she was now ready to process my application and set me up with Internet banking. Would I please come along to the bank with my telephone to complete the process. I turned up with my wife as my personal translator, sat down and readied myself for setting up the account. After several aborted attempts and 20 minutes later I left the bank without any progress to set up up my Internet account. I was informed there was still an error on my computer records and that my application would need to be returned (again) to Bangkok so that my records could be adjusted. I was asked to be patient and wait to be contacted by phone as soon as this is done.

What was the error? Rice will like this. Apparently, the error on my forms relates to the original opening of the bank account some 12 or 13 years ago. Some nerd in Bangkok Bank filled in my visa status on the original computer application as 'temporary tourist' and completely omitted the fact that I was in fact on a long stay visa based on retirement. As such they can not give me Internet banking until this error is corrected. I now think this is the same reason my first attempt to open Internet banking failed. So I sit and wait for another telephone call from the young lady in the bank at Tesco Lotus, waiting to be summoned to try again .

You do know how I love legal technicality's. NOT! I seem to attract them. No comment from you GL !

Some nerd in Bangkok Bank filled in my visa status on the original computer application as 'temporary tourist' and completely omitted the fact that I was in fact on a long stay visa based on retirement.

That is probably what happened to me.

Some years ago I tried to open an Internet banking account with Bangkok Bank only to be told that I was not eligible for such an account. Following Yorky's recent trials and tribulations with various banking matters, and comments from Nick and Co-Co, I decided it was time to try again. A week ago last Monday, I tried to set up an Internet account with Bangkok Bank's online application process. Once again, I was rejected and informed to contact Bankok Bank. I downloaded and printed off the 6 page application, filled it in and took the completed application to the Bangkok Bank located in Tesco Lotus, Surin. The young lady in the bank was very helpful, took photocopies of my bank book and passport and told me she would send everything to Bangkok Bank in Bangkok for processing. She said she would contact me in a week's time.

Today, I received a call from the young lady to be informed that she was now ready to process my application and set me up with Internet banking. Would I please come along to the bank with my telephone to complete the process. I turned up with my wife as my personal translator, sat down and readied myself for setting up the account. After several aborted attempts and 20 minutes later I left the bank without any progress to set up up my Internet account. I was informed there was still an error on my computer records and that my application would need to be returned (again) to Bangkok so that my records could be adjusted. I was asked to be patient and wait to be contacted by phone as soon as this is done.

What was the error? Rice will like this. Apparently, the error on my forms relates to the original opening of the bank account some 12 or 13 years ago. Some nerd in Bangkok Bank filled in my visa status on the original computer application as 'temporary tourist' and completely omitted the fact that I was in fact on a long stay visa based on retirement. As such they can not give me Internet banking until this error is corrected. I now think this is the same reason my first attempt to open Internet banking failed. So I sit and wait for another telephone call from the young lady in the bank at Tesco Lotus, waiting to be summoned to try again .

Fairly easily resolved by the sounds of it.

Nice to come across a Thai who is prepared to assist in overcoming a problem, rather than resort to the standard of "Mai Dai"or "Mai Roo".

I had no problems setting up internet banking through Kasikorn, I even linked another older account that I had with them from Pattaya.

I had no problems setting up internet banking through Kasikorn, I even linked another older account that I had with them from Pattaya.

The only thing that I find somewhat archaic is the method of linking accounts: "print out the form, fill it in and take it to your local branch".

[And you are not permitted to link "Fixed Deposit Accounts" except for balance and statement viewing. No transactions].

Still waiting for Bangkok Bank to open my Internet Banking account. Saw the young lady in Tesco's a couple of days ago but she is still waiting on Bangkok.

NOTE... You can only transfer money out of the FCD account into the savings account, during bank trading hours.
Noted, although I have no intention of going down that route yet. I am more than happy with my current arrangements and a Thai savings account (without interest).

Called into Kasikorn at Lobinson's this morning and it was very busy. I told my wife that it wasn't urgent but the clerk asked what we wanted. My wife told her that we wanted to open a new account. She told my wife that I would need a work permit to do that. She explained to the clerk that we have five accounts with Kasikorn already and it was only a standard fixed deposit account that we were looking to open, not an FCD. The clerk didn't know what an FCD was. So much for staff training.

[Edit: The clerk in question was the one who points out where the queue ticket machine is]

Last edited:
Called into Kasikorn at Lobinson's this morning and it was very busy. I told my wife that it wasn't urgent but the clerk asked what we wanted. My wife told her that we wanted to open a new account. She told my wife that I would need a work permit to do that. She explained to the clerk that we have five accounts with Kasikorn already and it was only a standard fixed deposit account that we were looking to open, not an FCD. The clerk didn't know what an FCD was. So much for staff training.

[Edit: The clerk in question was the one who points out where the queue ticket machine is]

You have overlooked a fundamental point.

Re your FCD comment - Only specified offices can service things like FCD's and have trained/knowledgeable (?) staff.

Staff in Bangkok Bank, Lobinsons, Bulilam could not even access my account on their computer..... let alone answer any questions about it.

With regards to the standard fixed account that is pathetic and the girl should be summarily shot!

You have overlooked a fundamental point.

Re your FCD comment - Only specified offices can service things like FCD's and have trained/knowledgeable (?) staff.

I said nothing!

My wife was cognisant of my discoveries regarding FCD accounts with Kasikorn and my banter with them. She was probably just trying to be clever.

A week ago last Wednesday I received my ID number for Internet banking with Bangkok Bank. The same message said I would receive my PIN number by post within 5 working days. I had still not received my PIN by post last Wednesday, 8 days later, so I went back to see the nice young lady in Bangkok Bank. Once again, she and another nice lady were very apologetic and also very helpful. They rang Bangkok (I think) and tried to sort out what had gone on. After a while I was told to wait a further 4 days, today I guess, but still nothing has arrived. I am beginning to enjoy my visits to Bangkok Bank, and I have not lost my cool once. The girls are so nice and helpful its a pleasure to keep returning!:D:D:D

Back