Joint Account

Why not ? Were you employed by an American-affiliated employer ?

During my "non tax paying employment" I was employed by a British company, an American company, an Italian company, a Malaysian company and a Chinese company. I know that the British company did not pay income tax on my behalf and I believe neither did the others.

Surely you were exempt from UK income tax whilst employed in Saudi?

I haven't paid income tax on earned income since 1995.
My Saudi income was exempt from UK taxation but, any UK income would have been subject to tax. Fortunately, my RAF pension at that time was less than my personal tax-free allowance.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the tax ramifications are.....I don't want to delve into finances - which are obviously personal - but all income from the UK is already taxable. The 18 years of expat working could possibly impact on tax status I suppose.

The moment you set foot back in the UK, and declare an intent to return permanently, you are eligible for free health care. You can also claim the increase in your state pension.

Not having a GP does not matter......it is obviously convenient if you do have one.
May I correct you on one point? "But all income from the UK is already taxable" is not necessarily a true statement. There is at least one exception to this rule. The pension I earned while working in Saudi, and paid by a British company in the UK, has been declared by the Tax Office as "No Tax Payable" as the pension was earned solely while I was working overseas. It is my understanding that I will lose this benefit should I return to live in the UK and that this pension would then be included in my taxable income.

Last edited:
May I correct you on one point? "But all income from the UK is already taxable" is not necessarily a true statement. There is at least one exception to this rule. The pension I earned while working in Saudi, and paid by a British company in the UK, has been declared by the Tax Office as "No Tax Payable" as the pension was earned solely while I was working overseas. It is my understanding that I will lose this benefit should I return to live in the UK and that this pension would then be included in my taxable income.

Thanks for the clarification. I should have said "all income EARNED in the UK".

Back