Kasikorn Bank - Internet Banking Problems?

I paid my monthly car payment through KPlus app yesterday and it went through, well it has given me a receipt and deducted the money from my account.

I paid my monthly car payment through KPlus app yesterday and it went through, well it has given me a receipt and deducted the money from my account.

Have you checked that the monies have been received? I had a receipt and the money was taken from my account but there was not a record of it being received (until today after the telephone call with head office).

Human error blamed for August 31 crash of e-banking system

Human error was blamed as the cause of the crash of the e-banking system of five commercial banks, causing temporary disruptions of electronic transactions on August 31.

Thai Bankers Association president Pridi Daochai told a press conference on Tuesday that the crash of the e-banking system of Siam Commercial Bank, Thanachart Bank, Krung Thai Bank, Kasikorn Bank and Bank of Ayudhya was caused by human error. He said those responsible for the incident did not follow established working procedure.

He maintained that disruption of electronic transactions did not cause any financial damage, but delayed banking services, causing inconvenience to bank customers who were used to smooth and fast service.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/human-error-blamed-for-august-31-crash-of-e-banking-system/

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1055919-human-error-blamed-for-august-31-crash-of-e-banking-system/

Hooray, glad that finally got sorted, BTW, anyone seen or heard from Feret?

Last seen being tended by an old man with a flat cap and bicycle clips somewhere in Yorkshire. Anyway, Kasikorn’s f**ked up my exchange rate since the UK referendum. Hope they get it sorted soon

Rice is on holiday in Darwin and Feret is doing his thing in Pattaya with his family. Why would Rice know Feret's whereabouts?
You seem to know everything then, maybe you could offer us that have asked, if Feret is ok since he'd had a serious health scare in recent past.

My pension has now been deposited in my account. I will not know on which date until tomorrow (Kasikorn update statements every 24 hours).

You seem to know everything then, maybe you could offer us that have asked, if Feret is ok since he'd had a serious health scare in recent past.

Far from knowing everything, I know very little. I happen to know Rice is on holiday in Australia because I saw him before he left Thailand. As to Feret, we are all aware he had a health scare a few months ago and of his subsequent move to Pattaya. Those members I have made friends with I keep their details. Unfortunately, I do not have a telephone number for Feret, or most of the other members on this forum for that matter. I can only suggest that if someone has Feret's telephone number and would like to pass it to Surin, please do so in a P.M. Please do not post personal phone numbers on open forum.

Boost for digital banking

By WICHIT CHAITRONG
THE NATION

Photo from: www.bankinfosecurity.com

Banking club issues new guidelines to tackle increasing rush after last week’s breakdown.

THE BANKING IT Club yesterday issued guidelines to cope with the rapid growth of digital banking after digital highway congestion caused a major crash in the banking system last week.

The club, however, cautioned that it could not offer a 100 per cent guarantee that such an incident would not recur.

The club aims to increase the system’s capacity by 2-3 fold during peak hours and to create a framework that can deal with all incidents in order to ensure customer confidence amid continued growth in service usage.

The failure of Kasikornbank (KBank)’s core switch at 6.30am on August 31 forced ITMX, a local switching system service provider, to cut KBank’s system from the central system at 6.31 am, resulting in congestion of digital traffic in the systems of three other banks.

Somkid Jiranuntarat, the chairman of Kasikorn Business Technology Group (KBTG) and chairman of the Banking Information Technology Club of the Thai Bankers Association, apologised to affected customers and promised to upgrade the service.

The bank’s customers now prefer using financial services via electronic channels such as mobile phones, the Internet and ATMs of commercial banks, given the seamless connectivity between different banks, he said.

The volume of service usage has increased rapidly and interruption in the service of any bank may affect the overall system, he said.

KBank, however, accelerated the correction of its internal network system and all effects by 11am and resumed the service at 11.05am, he noted.

His explanation, however, was at odds with the Bank of Thailand’s statement on August 31 that high volume of transactions had caused the crash.

At an event on September 1, Somkid insisted that no errors were seen in KBank’s system as it operated normally. “However, there was a large volume of funds transfer transactions with incorrect account numbers from other banks as some people put their phone numbers instead of their bank account numbers to execute their transactions,” he explained.

Detecting unusual activity, ITMX decided to cut KBank’s system from the central system at 10.15am. KBank then switched to a backup system, Processing Centre Company (PCC), immediately, thus allowing its customers to conduct funds transfer transactions to all banks as normal. Some customers who were still linked with PCC at that time could even transfer funds to KBank accounts.

However, the customers of several other banks could not transfer money to KBank accounts via ITMX. KBank then collaborated with ITMX to confirm to the general public that KBank’s system could function normally at 4.11pm without any effect on the systems of other banks. ITMX then reconnected the system to allow other banks to resume funds transfer transactions to KBank accounts.

“Other banks have also committed to upgrade their IT system. For example, it must instruct customers exactly what they must do and not just convey a ‘system error’ message after they make some mistakes during their transactions,” he added.

In order to ensure service continuity, the club and the National ITMX (Interbank Transaction Management and Exchange) Co, Ltd, which is responsible for supervising interbank connectivity, have come up with six guidelines to enhance digital services.

The guidelines aim to increase the system strength, unlock bottlenecks and revise the architectural design so that the mobile system can accommodate a volume of service at least two fold the number of peak transactions.

It would add control measures for more efficient change management of each bank.

The ITMX would fortify the existing system’s capability by at least two fold to support the rapid increase in interbank transactions after fee waiver for funds transfer across banks was implemented. They would establish a joint working group between commercial banks and ITMX to determine the conditions and clearly defined guidelines to temporarily eliminate a bank that encounters a system failure from the central system so as to prevent the problem from escalating and affecting the ITMX network and other banks.

It would also allow immediate connection as soon as the system is restored and returns to normalcy.

They would build up capabilities for monitoring the overall system through the development of a central dashboard in order to update the status of each bank’s system and inform member banks to ensure timeliness in preparation and problem solving.

They would review the design of the mobile banking system and display of transaction status message, which must be clear and easy to understand to avoid confusion.

The Thai banking system has developed a lot and become more complex, Somkid said. He added that though the possibility of recurring problems does exist, it has been much diminished thanks to implementation of stricter measures. Any technical difficulties have become more easily manageable enabling the operation to return to normalcy soon.

“We cannot offer a 100 per cent guarantee, but we will handle the system extremely carefully,” Somkid said yesterday at a press conference in response to a question on whether the incident could happen again.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30353827

Have you checked that the monies have been received? I had a receipt and the money was taken from my account but there was not a record of it being received (until today after the telephone call with head office).
I checked yesterday Yorky and it went through.

A minor glitch. Think back to previous times before internet banking, when one would have to phtsically visit the bank, queue etc.

We have never had it so good.:)

A minor glitch. Think back to previous times before internet banking, when one would have to phtsically visit the bank, queue etc.

We have never had it so good.:)

And painstakingly staggering down Sukhumvit at midnight trying to find an ATM which had money in it!

My dad worked for Lloyds and he was the guarantor for my bank loan to buy my first car. My overdraft is bigger than that now!

The club aims to increase the system’s capacity by 2-3 fold during peak hours and to create a framework that can deal with all incidents in order to ensure customer confidence amid continued growth in service usage.

If Thailand wants to rapidly enter the world of e commerce (Thailand 4.0) and it seems to be, being taken up faster then they thought. This will just not be enough 2 to 3 fold. I have been at the cutting edge of infrastructure like this and the math gurus gave a quantity of say (x) for appropriate bandwidth and the actual number of what worked turned out to be 40 (x). This is how theory can go horribly wrong with the real world.

Every time I use my Bangkok Bank ATM debit card I am bombarded with the advertisement to change my card and get a Prompt Pay 6-digit card instead. I have mentioned this before but a couple of months back I went into the bank to enquire about the new card. I was told that it was not advisable to change now as the new card was a lot more restricted than my existing. The new card was being rolled out but it still had a long way to go. I was advised to keep my old card until it expires in September 2023 - 5 years time. I am beginning to understand that the advice given was spot on. The Thai electronic banking revolution does indeed have a long way to go. From what Rice has said about the technology involved and bandwidth required this may be a bridge too far at the moment.

One has to ask the question, why keep advertising the new card when they clearly have a long way to go to deliver the new service?

My Bangkok Bank debit card expired June this year and both the main branch in Surin and the internet bank help desk insisted I had no choice but to change to the 6 digit card.
The problem with it is that it is linked to Union Pay and Thai Payment Network, whatever they may be, and unlike the old card is not connected to Visa.
I have found when I try to use the new card in shops/stores they won't accept it

Back