Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

If he has 'worked' in Thailand for the past 35 years then it is most unlikely that he has contributed or continued to contribute for his UK pension. I doubt, therefore, that he is eligible for a UK pension. Had he used his working career wisely he would have had a house and savings to support him in retirement. Lets face it, you cannot go on working forever. As it is, that does not seem to be the case. Donations from the general public in Thailand is unlikely to support the family for very long. At 65 years old and in poor health his chance of finding more work in Thailand or anywhere else is not good. I think the best he can hope for is a return to the UK to be 'looked' after by state housing and state benefits. Unfortunately, his wife will not be eligible for a visa to go with him although his daughter might be. Yes, a truly sad state of affairs although very predictable.

P.S. I have come across several British expats during the past 15 years in Thailand who have not made provisions/contributions for a UK pension. I have always told them that its always good to have a fall back income when its time to retire, even if it is relatively modest. Several have heeded my words and sought to buy back contributions while they could. Those that didn't, good luck to them. I hope they do not finish up like the man in the story above.

There are those that have neither made provision nor have the capital or means to pay for back-dated contributions.

In most cases they have come here with their worldly possessions and spunked that away on cars, women, alcohol etc with no thought to replenishing the lost capital. They are effectively potless - and some were already.

Thailand does not want such people and the immigration financial requirements are there for a reason. Those who cannot satisfy those immigration requirements should not be here - or, at least, should not expect sympathy/support from others. That said, I have come across a few people who are surviving quite adequately on the minimum of incomes and are not causing a problem to anyone - the only issue is that they are 'illegal'.

We all know the rules when we embark on this journey.

There are those that have neither made provision nor have the capital or means to pay for back-dated contributions.

In most cases they have come here with their worldly possessions and spunked that away on cars, women, alcohol etc with no thought to replenishing the lost capital. They are effectively potless - and some were already.

Thailand does not want such people and the immigration financial requirements are there for a reason. Those who cannot satisfy those immigration requirements should not be here - or, at least, should not expect sympathy/support from others. That said, I have come across a few people who are surviving quite adequately on the minimum of incomes and are not causing a problem to anyone - the only issue is that they are 'illegal'.

We all know the rules when we embark on this journey.
All true, but you know what they say about ‘walking in others shoes’. Sometimes, not always, one can experience unexpected situations that can seriously ‘knock you sideways’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And after??;)
We were staying in different hotels. Mine was a cheapie (but still on the west coast) and hers was ‘White Sands resort’ where one days fee was more than my complete holiday. She was therewith many other ‘celebs’ for Tiger Woods wedding. I wasn’t invited!!!!

We were staying in different hotels. Mine was a cheapie (but still on the west coast) and hers was ‘White Sands resort’ where one days fee was more than my complete holiday. She was therewith many other ‘celebs’ for Tiger Woods wedding. I wasn’t invited!!!!

TW wedding? a lot of bar girls were absent from work that day

In EVERY community in Thailand there is an individual such as in this article. Some are known and some are not. About 2 years back here in Kap Choeng I heard that call go out for free beer and Thai whiskey at the up coming bbq. This was just a short ways from the Chicken Ranch. My ml made her present known as she always does to obtain front row seats. That evening SWMBO informed me that yes there was going to be a BBQ for a FARANG that NO person outside of the individuals household knew he resided there. And I do mean NOONE.

In EVERY community in Thailand there is an individual such as in this article. Some are known and some are not. About 2 years back here in Kap Choeng I heard that call go out for free beer and Thai whiskey at the up coming bbq. This was just a short ways from the Chicken Ranch. My ml made her present known as she always does to obtain front row seats. That evening SWMBO informed me that yes there was going to be a BBQ for a FARANG that NO person outside of the individuals household knew he resided there. And I do mean NOONE.
Maybe HE WAS the bbq!

Getting down right hilariously on TV.

Hatred of (fellow) white men ............. must be a name for that?

hahaha

White ?????

I missed that.

Oh well. To clear it up for you, because you lack commonsense, ANY bloke who doesn't prepare himself and make provisions to provide for .....a child and wife....needs fkn slapping in my book.

This ***** should be slapped, and not only by a hand, but also by a big veiny member !!!!

Make sure you give him a cool $30,000 baht for me.....

Nick..The article says he has been in Thailand for 35 years so that would put his entry into Thailand at 1983. Question. Do you know what the status of a PR 1983 was?

I received my PR in 1990. No idea about PR prior to that. In Dec 1988, when I applied the fee was 25,000baht if successful. Took 15 months of to and fro to Bangkok before they granted it.

Back