Non Imm O multiple entry at Savanakhet

"Are you guys advocating getting hitched just to take advantage of Savannakhet consulate ?
Nobody knows if the regs are going to change. Same as the weather IMO."

Unfortunately Mr.C the situation with the retirement extension makes it more and more viable for those that are LEGALY married to take advantage of this option as it is very obvious that KCI with the backing of Bangkok is not wanting retirement only individuals in the area. Its called wake up and smell the roses.

I guess I might be, Yorky.
Cent's "based on marriage to a Thai" put me thinking "extension of visa based on marriage" frame of reference. It still sounds ideal if one is willing and healthy enough to hit a border every three months.
Maybe Cent can verify if he's taken the 90-day travel route.

Yes, the difference between an Imm O done outside of Thailand (based on whatever criteria - marriage to a Thai citizen, having a child that is a Thai citizen, being over 50 and 'retired', etc. - and an 'extension' is that I need to physically leave Thailand and re-enter every 90 days for the first year of the visa. Whereas on an 'extension' of an Imm O, once you have been on it for 1 year's time, and you are approved for the extension, you then only need to report every 90 days, whether physically at say Cap Choeng immigration office, or, supposedly now, you can do that on-line.

I have used the Imm O based on marriage for many years. As I usually go back to the states for a month every year to see my kids and family, I would just get a new Imm O at the Thai Consulate in Boston. Last year I did not go back to the states, so I had to do an 'extension' to stay another year. Last year was the first time I ever needed to do an extension of my Imm O. And, they gave me an Imm O based on retirement/over age 50, rather than the marriage based one I requested. Which requires a verified annual income of 800,000K baht rather than 400,000K baht. I want that 400,000K difference in case they ever raise the annual income requirements. It gives one some breathing room on the financial requirements to extend your stay. (By the way, the Imm O single entry only costs 2000 baht, the multiple entry [where you can come and go as many times as you please with no extra paperwork or permissions to leave and re-enter] costs 5000 baht.) I prefer the multiple entry version.

"Are you guys advocating getting hitched just to take advantage of Savannakhet consulate ?

Unfortunately Mr.C the situation with the retirement extension makes it more and more viable for those that are LEGALY married to take advantage of this option as it is very obvious that KCI with the backing of Bangkok is not wanting retirement only individuals in the area. Its called wake up and smell the roses.

Actually I found the reverse to be true when I went to extend my visa last year. I asked for an extension based on marriage. They gave me an extension based on retirement/age. That was NOT what I had wanted.

Actually I found the reverse to be true when I went to extend my visa last year. I asked for an extension based on marriage. They gave me an extension based on retirement/age. That was NOT what I had wanted.

Thats just a cock up my dear man. By all the actions that is coming out of KCI it is very obvious that retards are NOT their favorite. It takes no more for a marriage extension than a retirement extension as BOTH require a house visit and 30 day under review period. When KCI makes the house call members have been offed the option to flip over to a marriage extension on the spot, some have taken the offer and some have not.

This is something that has never been mentioned to me at anytime previously by KCI.
Possibly as I usually reside with a lady maybe that makes a difference compared to a fully single type of guy.
Think about our gay members who are not married but in a monogamous relationship with their partner.

This is something that has never been mentioned to me at anytime previously by KCI.
Possibly as I usually reside with a lady maybe that makes a difference compared to a fully single type of guy.
Think about our gay members who are not married but in a monogamous relationship with their partner.

Action speaks louder than words my dear man.:rolleyes:

That's the part that had me fooled. I thought you would've been on an extension based on marriage so I couldn't figure out this new scenario with no visit, 30 day wait period, no Mrs Cent signing affidavits, etc.

Thank you for that clarification. No worries - no wedding bells on my feet :mask::screamcat::astonished:

ps: how much were the large bottles of Lao beer...THB 40 (please don't give me 10,000 Lao khip) :flushed:

Yes, the difference between an Imm O done outside of Thailand (based on whatever criteria - marriage to a Thai citizen, having a child that is a Thai citizen, being over 50 and 'retired', etc. - and an 'extension' is that I need to physically leave Thailand and re-enter every 90 days for the first year of the visa. Whereas on an 'extension' of an Imm O, once you have been on it for 1 year's time, and you are approved for the extension, you then only need to report every 90 days, whether physically at say Cap Choeng immigration office, or, supposedly now, you can do that on-line.

I have used the Imm O based on marriage for many years. As I usually go back to the states for a month every year to see my kids and family, I would just get a new Imm O at the Thai Consulate in Boston. Last year I did not go back to the states, so I had to do an 'extension' to stay another year. Last year was the first time I ever needed to do an extension of my Imm O. And, they gave me an Imm O based on retirement/over age 50, rather than the marriage based one I requested. Which requires a verified annual income of 800,000K baht rather than 400,000K baht. I want that 400,000K difference in case they ever raise the annual income requirements. It gives one some breathing room on the financial requirements to extend your stay. (By the way, the Imm O single entry only costs 2000 baht, the multiple entry [where you can come and go as many times as you please with no extra paperwork or permissions to leave and re-enter] costs 5000 baht.) I prefer the multiple entry version.

I just purchased my multiple entry visa, three days ago, following extending my Non Imm-O Ret. and it cost 3,800 Baht in Thailand.

[QUOTE="gotlost, post:
Unfortunately Mr.C the situation with the retirement extension makes it more and more viable for those that are LEGALY married to take advantage of this option as it is very obvious that KCI with the backing of Bangkok is not wanting retirement only individuals in the area. Its called wake up and smell the roses.[/QUOTE]

Mr. GL, I can readily understand the Govt / IMM wanting to keep certified sex-pats in well known entertainment areas such as BKK, Patts and Phuket as no one real wants full on blatant farangs taking economical advantages where the heart and soul of Thailand resides.

They're only tolerating us in Isaan as an example to show that lucky ones are able to land a big fish when working the entertainment zones, get married and live happily ever after with or without said ATM. Some actually get to travel abroad and take advantage of other nations socials schemes on top !

But please don't tell me that the establishment wants foreigners to readily save THB 400,000 by moving them off of extensions based on retirement to one based on marriage. That takes THB 400,000 out of the hands of the banking system for a minimum 90 days. That simply doesn't make sense (imho). :confused:

[QUOTE="gotlost, post:
Unfortunately Mr.C the situation with the retirement extension makes it more and more viable for those that are LEGALY married to take advantage of this option as it is very obvious that KCI with the backing of Bangkok is not wanting retirement only individuals in the area. Its called wake up and smell the roses.[/QUOTE]

Mr. GL, I can readily understand the Govt / IMM wanting to keep certified sex-pats in well known entertainment areas such as BKK, Patts and Phuket as no one real wants full on blatant farangs taking economical advantages where the heart and soul of Thailand resides.

They're only tolerating us in Isaan as an example to show that lucky ones are able to land a big fish when working the entertainment zones, get married and live happily ever after with or without said ATM. Some actually get to travel abroad and take advantage of other nations socials schemes on top !

But please don't tell me that the establishment wants foreigners to readily save THB 400,000 by moving them off of extensions based on retirement to one based on marriage. That takes THB 400,000 out of the hands of the banking system for a minimum 90 days. That simply doesn't make good financial sense (imho). :confused:

[QUOTE="gotlost, post:

But please don't tell me that the establishment wants foreigners to readily save THB 400,000 by moving them off of extensions based on retirement to one based on marriage. That takes THB 400,000 out of the hands of the banking system for a minimum 90 days. That simply doesn't make good financial sense (imho). :confused:[/QUOTE]

They don't thank like us. Its Thainess at its finest.:confused:

I will add, for those interested, that the Visa On Arrival (VOA) at the booth entering Laos costs 1,500 baht, for a single entry. So add that to your travel expenses as well.

I booked a room for the night in Mukdahan, as we took the 'Yellow VIP bus' from Surin to Mukdahan that leaves (supposedly) at 6 p.m. It's a 5 hour trip on the bus. Bring a sandwich and a drink, as they serve no food like NCA does. Cost one way for that bus is around 250 baht apiece. I booked a bit more upscale for the trip, as my wife was coming along. The Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan was 1200 baht a night, actually 1180 it was. A very nice hotel it is. I do recommend this hotel if you are ever in the area. We stayed at the New Saen Sabai Hotel in Savanakhet, which was 1000 baht a night. Tuk Tuks run around 150 to 200 baht a trip in town. We met a mini van driver at the border on our way in and he charged us just 200 baht to the hotel. Much better than a Tuk Tuk. He offered to wait at the Immi office while I waited to give them my paperwork, which took about 45 minutes as there was a long queue waiting to get in and do the same. So he charged us 400 baht all in. And, he came the next day at 1:30, picked us up from the hotel, waited at Immi, then drove us to the border. Again 400 baht all in. I'd go this route again, as a mini van all to yourself was a much more pleasant experience than a Tuk Tuk ride. Just showing my expenditures for those thinking of doing the same one day. The bus from Mukdahan to the Lao border is 50 baht per person each way. It leaves from the Mukdahan bus depot (and on return from the Lao border checkpoint back to the Mukdahan bus depot).

Other than that it was just food and drinks costs.

P. S. There was another hotel in Mukdahan called the Drop Inn I think it was, which cost around 300 baht a night, which on-line was given good reports by many who stayed there while on a visa run.

I will add, for those interested, that the Visa On Arrival (VOA) at the booth entering Laos costs 1,500 baht, for a single entry. So add that to your travel expenses as well.

I booked a room for the night in Mukdahan, as we took the 'Yellow VIP bus' from Surin to Mukdahan that leaves (supposedly) at 6 p.m. It's a 5 hour trip on the bus. Bring a sandwich and a drink, as they serve no food like NCA does. Cost one way for that bus is around 250 baht apiece. I booked a bit more upscale for the trip, as my wife was coming along. The Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan was 1200 baht a night, actually 1180 it was. A very nice hotel it is. I do recommend this hotel if you are ever in the area. We stayed at the New Saen Sabai Hotel in Savanakhet, which was 1000 baht a night. Tuk Tuks run around 150 to 200 baht a trip in town. We met a mini van driver at the border on our way in and he charged us just 200 baht to the hotel. Much better than a Tuk Tuk. He offered to wait at the Immi office while I waited to give them my paperwork, which took about 45 minutes as there was a long queue waiting to get in and do the same. So he charged us 400 baht all in. And, he came the next day at 1:30, picked us up from the hotel, waited at Immi, then drove us to the border. Again 400 baht all in. I'd go this route again, as a mini van all to yourself was a much more pleasant experience than a Tuk Tuk ride. Just showing my expenditures for those thinking of doing the same one day. The bus from Mukdahan to the Lao border is 50 baht per person each way. It leaves from the Mukdahan bus depot (and on return from the Lao border checkpoint back to the Mukdahan bus depot).

Other than that it was just food and drinks costs.

P. S. There was another hotel in Mukdahan called the Drop Inn I think it was, which cost around 300 baht a night, which on-line was given good reports by many who stayed there while on a visa run.

For an extra 300 baht you can have your visa the same day.

I guess I might be, Yorky.
Cent's "based on marriage to a Thai" put me thinking "extension of visa based on marriage" frame of reference. It still sounds ideal if one is willing and healthy enough to hit a border every three months.
Maybe Cent can verify if he's taken the 90-day travel route.

I'm doing it for the last 6 - 7 years and never had a problem same as Cent posted. And every 90 days I have to make my border run. On the last day of ypu Visa expire date cross the border again anf get anohrt 90 days. It means your Mutiple Entry O visa can be used for 15 month in total.

I'm doing it for the last 6 - 7 years and never had a problem same as Cent posted. And every 90 days I have to make my border run. On the last day of ypu Visa expire date cross the border again anf get anohrt 90 days. It means your Mutiple Entry O visa can be used for 15 month in total.

Out of interest Frank, do you cross the border in Phusing every 90 days?

[When I had to do the border runs in the early 2000's it was Aranyapratet which was a serious pain in the arse]

Out of interest Frank, do you cross the border in Phusing ever 90 days?

[When I had to do the border runs in the early 2000's it was Aranyapratet which was a serious pain in the arse]
When he's not invading Poland! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest Frank, do you cross the border in Phusing every 90 days?

No I always make ny crossing at ChongChom

Back