Rain?

Discussion in 'Surin News' started by nomad97, Mar 30, 2020.

1. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Google street view shows rice at 16.50 per kilo.:rolleyes::D

2. Rice

Rice Surin Legend

Reading the article in Thai about the smash.
    It left the vehicles. .. .. .. What's that Thai word? I don't know.
    New word for me .Rubdub? (wrinkled).

Really. o_Oo_Oo_O

3. Merlin

Merlin Surin Legend

When aquaplaning is possible, there are several factor that will determine whether or not a skid will happen.
    Water on the road is a given:

Speed of the vehicle. Anything over 50 mph or 80 kph in wet road conditions.
    Depth of the water on the road: Anything over 1/10th of an inch, or 0.24 cm. is at least sufficient.
    Depth of the tyre tread: The minimum tread depth in the UK is 2mm for a reason.
    Width of the tyre v weight of the vehicle: The wider the tyre, the more likely the vehicle is to "float" on the water. If the vehicle is light, it floats more than if it is heavy.
    If the aggregate in the tarmac is coarse, one is less likely to skid than if it is fine.

Puddles are seldom of uniform size of depth. One a vehicle enters a puddle, it is more likely to swerve if only one tyre on an axle is partially submerged. A tyre rolling on a dry surface is not dragged by the water on a wet surface

On entering water that is of sufficient depth, at speed, a tyre that has little tread, will ride on the surface of the water instead of on the tarmac surface. Instant loss of friction ( aka traction) is the result.
    Once the tyre loses contact with the road surface, no amount of steering input or cadence braking will restore grip, unless at least one of the other 3 tyres is in direct contact with the tarmac.

The sensation is exactly that of riding once smooth ice. (Ice is not slippery! It is the water on the ice - melted or otherwise - that is slippery. Try it with an ice cube from the freezer. You can hold the cube securely until there is water between the cube and your finger.)

If all four tyres (Reliant Robins and motorcy are therefore exempt!) are aquaplaning, CO-CO's "feet off the pedals" is the way to go until some grip is regained. Puddles can be short, and sawing the wheel can cause an uncontrollable swerve when grip is suddenly restored after the vehicle has left the puddle, as indeed can finding that the wheels have locked by braking! As grip is restored, particularly if the approaching scenery viewed through your side-window includes an Armco barrier, a tree, a pole or another vehicle on a collision course, then is the time to start steering again and braking to a halt for clean underwear.

Having raced cars on circuits for many years, one quickly learns the right and the wrong way to deal with aquaplaning. Some are better at it than others, which is why some wet-weather racers excel when their dry-weather competitors are in the pits changing from slicks or intermediates onto wets.

RIP the four people involved yesterday. Both drivers should have been in their left hand lanes, irrespective of the bad habits demonstrated daily by most people on Thai roads. The four of them might still be alive if the two drivers had kept to the law.

CO-CO, Rice, nomad97 and 3 others like this.
  4. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Where's the rain.:rolleyes:;;bad simle;;

5. Rice

Rice Surin Legend

It has been pulled north with the monsoon trough dragged by Amphan. Now we have to wait for it to weaken and come back south. I would say southern China along with Hong Kong would be very wet at the moment, while we are dry.

6. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

Brought to U by the fake news networks.:D

7. Rice

Rice Surin Legend

NO! Brought to you by me, that is my own forecast! Though albeit not fully qualified to do so. But to hell with it.
    I did do half the course that they did. Wanker Meteorologists about 20% of them world wide, were actually any good.
    I bet things have not changed.

nomad97 and gotlost like this.
  8. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

[​IMG]

9. Merlin

Merlin Surin Legend

Many will wonder why the Welsh have a bee in their bonnets about repression that is still exercised against their language, their people, their country and their culture. One answer may be found in this news article from a provincial newspaper today: https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/1...disgust-offensive-graffiti-scrawled-pavement/

gotlost and nomad97 like this.
  10. CO-CO

CO-CO Surin Legend

That is out of order, and it is the first time I have seen a story about offensiveness in that direction. It would be the equivalent of a Farang writing the same about Thais on a Bangkok pavement.

I had always thought animosity went the other way and I have memories of reports about holiday homes in Wales being torched.

11. nomad97

nomad97 Ordinary member Staff Member

We may have rain very soon.

upload_2020-5-23_12-43-23.png

upload_2020-5-23_12-42-40.png

12. Merlin

Merlin Surin Legend

Life is a two-way street, but while there must have been a beginning to cause the animosity, it is hard to imagine a way of ending it now, when it has been embedded in the minds of so many bigoted generations on both sides.

CO-CO likes this.
  13. Cent

Cent FORUM SPONSOR

Must have rained some here last night. I noticed a puddle in the bed of my pick up truck this morning.

14. gotlost

gotlost Surin Legend

12 drops n KC.

15. nomad97

nomad97 Ordinary member Staff Member

About the same here GL. Lots of swirling wind in the afternoon, almost a sandstorm at DoHome, but no rain.

16. CO-CO

CO-CO Surin Legend

We have had exactly what Ventusky forecast.......................I am therefore hopeful that their forecast for rain this evening will also be accurate.

17. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Sorry, your neighbor took a piss last night after Soi Kola. :sunglasses:

gotlost and Prakhonchai Nick like this.
  18. Yorky

Yorky Surin Legend

Is that rain?

It's so long since I've seen it I hardly recognised it!

gotlost likes this.
  19. Cent

Cent FORUM SPONSOR

Not likely, as Soi Kola has been closed up for quite a while.

20. Coffee

Coffee Surin Legend

Just because the lights out front are off on a Saturday night doesn't necessarily mean the doors are closed.
    When is the last time you were on the Soi ?

New | Recent