Starbeam Restaurant - Coming Soon

The reason I asked about outdoor area mike is I suffer in air con If it's to cold it does not agree with my chest .
But I guess it won't always be needed hey .

AtB,

The Air Con will not be on most mornings I'd think except on the really hot days. Depends on the customers inside as well. Most Thais do not want AC except when it is exceptionally warm. We have ceiling fans, and floor or wall fans to cool it down as well when not needing to use the ACs.

Cheers,

Mike

should be terrific

The reason I asked about outdoor area mike is I suffer in air con If it's to cold it does not agree with my chest .
But I guess it won't always be needed hey .

Alan , that bad feeling in your chest is simply a symptom of supporting MANU...particularly this past year. It has nothing to do with A/C Moon2

Anyhow, Mike & Waen have their plan in place and a very important facet will be his customer parking lot during the rain season.
It makes a fine spot for relaxing after visiting Surin Government Hospital Chokdee5

Nothing on this thread for 10 days, Mike. How is it going? Will you be open on the 1st August?
Looking forward to patronising you again, as it were!

Yes, the name will be Starbeam Lek restaurant. Thanks.

Location is in the soi directly across the klong from the Haikuzo Japanese restaurant, which is next to the Goodview restaurant. Soi Saboran 2. Inside the soi one block down on your left. I'll be taking pics of the soi sign, the corner, etc. And doing a map. As the klong road is now one way each side it is easy to find. We are basically on the opposite side of the klong from Lorenzino's and further down. Just past the Mind Kitchen is our soi. (Not the soi right next to the Mind Kitchen, but the next one down.)

Easier shown on a map and a couple pics.

Mike

Drove down that soi yesterday, expecting to see some activity or maybe a sign. But going to the end and returning I did not spot anything that I thought may be Starbeam Lek.

Will look again next Monday, 4th August, when once again have to return to Surin.

Just a thought Mike the name Starbeam lek
There is a farang bar in Surin called lek
Maybe people could get the two mixed up !
I think Starbeam is better , just my thoughts .
Also lek to a lot of farangs is a girls name .
Most don't know it means small .

Nothing on this thread for 10 days, Mike. How is it going? Will you be open on the 1st August?
Looking forward to patronising you again, as it were!

JohnB,

Good to see you are back in town. Been busy getting it done. Will actually open tomorrow/30th (being an auspicious day according to the monks). Waiting on the sign and a few odds and ends. Stock is in, but jalapenos are on order. Nearly finished. Off to the village this morn to get a few more things needed. The 1st will be the true opening day though for Western foods.

I'll post pics today and directions. Need to finish the menu as well.

Mike

Last edited:
Drove down that soi yesterday, expecting to see some activity or maybe a sign. But going to the end and returning I did not spot anything that I thought may be Starbeam Lek.

Will look again next Monday, 4th August, when once again have to return to Surin.

Nick,

Sign's being done. Did you you look for the address posted (32/6 Saboran 2)? It's on the front wall by the sliding glass doors. The activity was going on indoors Nick, all day. :)

I'll post exterior and interior pics later today. 95% done. Busy, busy, busy. See you on the 4th.

Mike

Nick,

Sign's being done. Did you you look for the address posted (32/6 Saboran 2)? It's on the front wall by the sliding glass doors. The activity was going on indoors Nick, all day. :)

I'll post exterior and interior pics later today. 95% done. Busy, busy, busy. See you on the 4th.

Mike

I didn't have the full details with me Mike, but I got the right soi

It was about 8.30am - maybe to early to see anyone

Will call in next Monday - not so early though!

f**king monks and their 'auspicious' days can kiss my half Irish white heinie. Pain in the ass they are.
Mike

Come on Mike, you don't want to upset any spooks now, that might be lurking around. What I have done over the years to keep them damn spooks happy. I could write a book. "The art of keeping Thai Spirits happy" Might be a best seller.

Map?

Heard good things about this restaurant. I live in Sangkha and want to try it out next time I'm in Surin. I don't know the town well and can't find Soi Saboran on Google maps or the graphic map of restaurant locations on this forum.

How do I get there from Robinsons or the train station, familiar landlmarks for me.

Heard good things about this restaurant. I live in Sangkha and want to try it out next time I'm in Surin. I don't know the town well and can't find Soi Saboran on Google maps or the graphic map of restaurant locations on this forum.

How do I get there from Robinsons or the train station, familiar landlmarks for me.

Welcome to the forum Humbert.

A new version of the farang friendly map produced by Nomad is imminent. It is being revised largely to include the Starbeam Lek location. Keep an eye open for it. I am sure Nomad will see this too.

Welcome to the forum Humbert.

A new version of the farang friendly map produced by Nomad is imminent. It is being revised largely to include the Starbeam Lek location. Keep an eye open for it. I am sure Nomad will see this too.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

Here's our Starbeam Facebook page link for you Humbert: https://www.facebook.com/STARBEAM.RESTAURANT

We are just off the klong road between BigC and the Government General Hosptil. There's a tiny map link (same one provided by Mr. Coffee) on there. My mobile number is on there as well if you need any help finding us. Just give a call. Thai language numbers are provided as well.

Mike

Here's our Starbeam Facebook page link for you Humbert: https://www.facebook.com/STARBEAM.RESTAURANT

We are just off the klong road between BigC and the Government General Hosptil. There's a tiny map link (same one provided by Mr. Coffee) on there. My mobile number is on there as well if you need any help finding us. Just give a call. Thai language numbers are provided as well.

Mike

Should be easy to find with the map.

Humbert, Nomad has now published the revised map in a different thread.

Sorry, should have said, it's in the Things to do and Activities in Surin section.

Should be easy to find with the map.

Cent, meant to tell you yesterday, but the blue banner on Klong road with the arrow pointing down your street has moved app. 90 degrees counter-clockwise and now has the arrow pointing toward "The Mind."
Also, in that position, is very hard to see from the road. Perhaps Khun Fon can go reposition it, like previously, which will make Lil Starbeam easier to find.

Ate there with the missus for lunch on Saturday and I was astounded by the breadth of the menu. Great value and very good food.
There was a Thai family of four in there while we were there and they must have ordered everything on the menu; soups, nachos, steaks, sandwiches, pizza... . I could hardly finish my bacon cheeseburger and fries it was so huge.

Ate there with the missus for lunch on Saturday and I was astounded by the breadth of the menu. Great value and very good food.
There was a Thai family of four in there while we were there and they must have ordered everything on the menu; soups, nachos, steaks, sandwiches, pizza... . I could hardly finish my bacon cheeseburger and fries it was so huge.

Thanks, Humbert. Glad you and your wife had a nice time at Starbeam's. We do have a lot of Thai customers coming to our place as well as westerners. We try to have something of choice for everyone coming in our restaurant. And it is great to see Thais ordering the western foods as well as our Thai dishes. Hope to see you again. Thanks.

Mike & Waen

Back