Transfer of monies from overseas to Thailand

Actually, I would answer that in the negative.

Actually, it may be negative - it depends on the bank. At HSBC a totally new account, with new account number and cards, had to be opened for the surviving account holder. Were that to happen Wood would not meet account opening requirements.

I suggest you contact the bank to ask the specific question.

As a back up open a Transferwise Borderless account for Wood.

I contacted my bank, which is First Direct, and received the following reply:

"Thank you for your message dated 21-Sep-2018. Please accept my apologies for the delay in sending my response.

I confirm that we do not freeze joint accounts when one party sadly passes away. Upon sight of the death certificate we would convert the account into a sole account keeping the same sort code and account number.

Please contact us if you require anything further."

In my question to them I specifically said that my partner is a Thai national and we are resident in Thailand, this part of my question they haven't acknowledged

I contacted my bank, which is First Direct, and received the following reply:

"Thank you for your message dated 21-Sep-2018. Please accept my apologies for the delay in sending my response.

I confirm that we do not freeze joint accounts when one party sadly passes away. Upon sight of the death certificate we would convert the account into a sole account keeping the same sort code and account number.

Please contact us if you require anything further."

In my question to them I specifically said that my partner is a Thai national and we are resident in Thailand, this part of my question they haven't acknowledged

Excellent news Colin.

I would still open TW Borderless account for Wood as a back up....that also enables you to set up that account as a beneficiary on your joint FD account. As you have no doubt already created TW as a beneficiary for your TW transfers you will have all angles covered ...I.e. Wood will not need to create new payees which no doubt require the use of a security device.

A TW Borderless account requires a 2 steplog in. That means a code is texted to the registered phone number before access can be granted.

Last edited:
Just got an email from TransferWise, they will be raising their fees on November 7. Still cheaper than having my bank do it so I will stay the course.

"We have some unhappy news – on November 7, we’re raising our fees to use debit and credit cards to send USD or add it to your borderless balance. "
IMG_2606.PNG

Mario, why use your credit/debit cards? Does your bank have Internet banking? If so, transfer money from your bank to TransferWise Borderless Account with no fee. Alternatively, if you have people sending you money into your bank account, a pension for example, ask them to pay directly to your Borderless Account. No fees!!!!

I have a Bangkok Bank FCD account, and a savings account that is connected to it, although can be used independently.

When making a small transfer this week, Bangkok Bank returned the following message:-

Sorry, your banking records indicate your visa status is “Tourist” or "Foreigners who are permanent residents in Thailand without work permit" you may not be able to apply or update your profile for the service via the website channel. In this case, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply.

Not quite sure what they mean by that. Why now? Wrote to them asking for more info, but no response to date. Work permits were not a requirement for Permanent Residence 28 years ago!!!!!!!

Seems like being a permanent resident in Thailand can cause more troubles than it is worth. I have had no such msg from Bangkok Bank for my Internet account.

Seems like being a permanent resident in Thailand can cause more troubles than it is worth. I have had no such msg from Bangkok Bank for my Internet account.

Correct. Apart from not having to do 90 days and annual extensions, it takes longer at airports and borders, because the useless immigration buggers do not know what to do, and instead of one re-entry permit (single or multiple) I need 2 (extra cost of course)!!!!!

Correct. Apart from not having to do 90 days and annual extensions, it takes longer at airports and borders, because the useless immigration buggers do not know what to do, and instead of one re-entry permit (single or multiple) I need 2 (extra cost of course)!!!!!

Not to mention having to sing the 08:00/18:00 hrs song (National anthem).

Not to mention having to sing the 08:00/18:00 hrs song (National anthem).

Yes indeed....Poipet. Joined by a jolly overly large Immigration officer in front of some 150 people waiting for entry stamps. The other 3 immi officers all stopped what they were doing to listen to us!

.............. (This is NOT me!)

Never again going through Poipet!

The mistake that led to a £1.2bn business - Kristo Kaarmann, co-founder and chief executive of money transfer business TransferWise.

_105322503_kristo5600.jpg

When Kristo Kaarmann was kicking himself for being "incredibly stupid", little did he know that it would spark an idea for a business that is now estimated to be worth more than £1.2bn. Back in 2008, the then 28-year-old Estonian was working in London as a management consultant when he got a very chunky Christmas bonus of £10,000. As interest rates were higher back in Estonia, he decided that he'd transfer the money from his UK current account to his Estonian savings account, so as to earn more from the cash. "So I paid my UK bank a £15 fee, and transferred the £10,000, and then a week later I saw that £500 less than I had expected had arrived in the Estonian account," says Kristo, now 38. "I started digging to find out what had happened, and I realised that I had been incredibly stupid. "I had foolishly expected that my UK bank would have given me the exchange rate I saw when I looked on [news wires] Reuters and Bloomberg. "Instead the bank had used an exchange rate 5% less favourable, which is how it and all the other banks get their cut. It was my mistake." Annoyed with himself, Kristo vowed to come up with a way of transferring money overseas that removed banks from the process.

"There were lots of unknowns when we started," he says. "Would anyone trust this website set up by two Estonian dudes? Would anyone else have this problem that we wanted to solve?

"And all these people around the world did have the same problem, and they did trust us."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46985443

The mistake that led to a £1.2bn business - Kristo Kaarmann, co-founder and chief executive of money transfer business TransferWise.

_105322503_kristo5600.jpg

When Kristo Kaarmann was kicking himself for being "incredibly stupid", little did he know that it would spark an idea for a business that is now estimated to be worth more than £1.2bn. Back in 2008, the then 28-year-old Estonian was working in London as a management consultant when he got a very chunky Christmas bonus of £10,000. As interest rates were higher back in Estonia, he decided that he'd transfer the money from his UK current account to his Estonian savings account, so as to earn more from the cash. "So I paid my UK bank a £15 fee, and transferred the £10,000, and then a week later I saw that £500 less than I had expected had arrived in the Estonian account," says Kristo, now 38. "I started digging to find out what had happened, and I realised that I had been incredibly stupid. "I had foolishly expected that my UK bank would have given me the exchange rate I saw when I looked on [news wires] Reuters and Bloomberg. "Instead the bank had used an exchange rate 5% less favourable, which is how it and all the other banks get their cut. It was my mistake." Annoyed with himself, Kristo vowed to come up with a way of transferring money overseas that removed banks from the process.

"There were lots of unknowns when we started," he says. "Would anyone trust this website set up by two Estonian dudes? Would anyone else have this problem that we wanted to solve?

"And all these people around the world did have the same problem, and they did trust us."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46985443

That's strange? I seem to remember posting that last Mon?

Sorry, did not see your post.
Nomad, can you please explain to me what Borderless banking is?
I have an account with Transferwise and I transfer my annual living expenses with them. I only do one big transaction a year but am considering doing a monthly one.

Back