Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

What has been going through my head is that the water table level where we live was 6 - 10 metres down 10 years ago and possibly was the same last year (I had no way of checking and no reason to check). If it's now dropped to -32 metres there's a damn good chance it's going to drop further before the year end considering the forecasts.

That we had to drill to 32 meter to get water, does not necessary mean that there are not water higher up in the ground.

I guess there is a big difference in a 1om well and a drill hole. A well have a lot more wall surface out to the ground around it compare to a drill hole.

Lets say that you have a 10m deep well with a diameter of 1,5m, and the water comes in only at the 3 lowest meter in the well. If you get 1000l pr 24h into the well, it will give you approx 41 liters pr hour. The surface area were the water will come in to the well in this example are 14m2(3.14*1.5m*3m). Which give you a flow of 2.94l pr m2 pr hour.

A 2”(5cm) drill hole at the same depth and same height the water will flow in, will be much lower. The surface area in the drill hole will be 0.47m2(3.14*0.05m*3m). So the flow in the drill hole will be around 1.38 liters pr hour. I guess that will be considered as no water come in to the drill hole.

With my GF parents in the Sikhoraphum area, they have a well approx 8 meter deep. They have water there all year round. But a guy I know that used to live nearby there drilled for water around 10 years ago. He had to drill to 20 meter to get water.

So I think that we can not directly compare a wide shallow well with a drill hole.

I know next to nothing about ground water, but this is my thoughts about it. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }

Only if the casing can pulled out if not its a new bore. This is personal experience and others that I have seen. Majority of casing used for Thailand is PVC and it is next to impossible to remove where in the west we use steel which can be removed.

I would imagine that the friction imposed upon a 30 metre long small diameter bore pipe would be substantial whatever the material. The advantage of steel is it will withstand the force needed to remove it whereas plastic is very unlikely to withstand said force without fracturing (and then you would be captained!).

I guess there is a big difference in a 1om well and a drill hole. A well have a lot more wall surface out to the ground around it compare to a drill hole.

Only an opinion and with no calculations to prove it but the water "seeping" into a bore (with plastic liner) is only entering through an area the size of the bore ( PI r2).

Only if the casing can pulled out if not its a new bore. This is personal experience and others that I have seen. Majority of casing used for Thailand is PVC and it is next to impossible to remove where in the west we use steel which can be removed.

Even if I have to abandon the drilled hole and drill a new one next to it later, it is only a loss of 4500thb.I will not go bankrupt because of that. And I don't think it will go completely dry either. But it might well be that the flow will get reduced if the ground water level gets lower than it is now.

Only an opinion and with no calculations to prove it but the water "seeping" into a bore (with plastic liner) is only entering through an area the size of the bore ( PI r2).

I my example I was thinking that the last three meters did not have the liner. If the liner goes all the way down, the area are off course much smaller.

The one component of information that hasn't been communicated is what the actual size of the Surin aquifier is below earth.

The more folks tapping in reduces this valuable resource if it is not properly replenished.
Therefore the water table will continue to drop further.

I can only conjecture what they'll do to "conserve water" in the City next Songkraan.
Who knows, by then I may be prepared to move into a flood zone.

The "soapies" supposedly have water. Funny that.

I my example I was thinking that the last three meters did not have the liner. If the liner goes all the way down, the area are off course much smaller.

Our bores 2 two inch and a 6 inch the casing only goes down about 15 meters. That casing is included in the original drilling cost. The two inch bores do have a 1 inch pac suction insert with a filter on the end. This unit can go and sometimes does below the cashing.

The one component of information that hasn't been communicated is what the actual size of the Surin aquifier is below earth.

The more folks tapping in reduces this valuable resource if it is not properly replenished.
Therefore the water table will continue to drop further.

I can only conjecture what they'll do to "conserve water" in the City next Songkraan.
Who knows, by then I may be prepared to move into a flood zone.

The "soapies" supposedly have water. Funny that.

Pop into google "Surin water aquifer " Interesting articles.

Our Mitsan AD-301 pump (they are NOT called Mitsani) was installed 2 weeks ago and is working perfectly. The house is at one of the higher elevations in Muang Surin. the soi towards the house from Big C was swamped in places during the October 2014 floods, but our entire project further down that road by Kritsanai was high and dry, and (as you'd expect therefore) we've had no floods here since then either.

The guys who bored down found water at 13 metres on their one and only attempt here.

The following are copies of the Mitsan* operating leaflet, including the spec for our pump. Make of it what you will, but the water is (at present) abundant and sparkling clear. We don't yet have any filtration equipment installed, because of which none of the water is sent to our 1,000 litre tank. If the town water situation worsens and the groundwater levels continue to fall, I may install a filter plant incorporating RO, the latter to make the water potable.

See here for more info: https://www.louist.co.th/product/hardware-agricultural-tools/water-pump/jet-pump/ad-301-2/

The capacity of the pump in litres per hour is shown below (image is from Google, not my pump):

DSCF9660.JPG

I hope this might answer some questions for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2811.JPG
    IMG_2811.JPG
    832 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2816.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
@Merlin, thanks for the correction of the proper spelling for the pump. And there is a website for this pump.

upload_2019-8-10_15-27-59.png

Two varieties by the looks of things.

@Merlin, thanks for the correction of the proper spelling for the pump. And there is a website for this pump.

Unfortunately the website that I found under "technical details" it says only "AD-301 double jet".

The specification on @Merlin's pump plate indicates 18m suction (a misnomer) head and 12m pressure head. Add these together will give a total head of 30m. If a "suction" head of 32m is required then you're buggered.

Surin hospital pleads for water as its reserves run out
  • August 10, 2019
  • views 60
  • Share Post
101768.jpg

Water shortages in Thailand’s northeastern province of Surin have reached such a critical level that the provincial hospital has appealed for help from all agencies concerned, while many residents have resorted to buying water from private sources as tap water supply is not meeting the demand.

The Surin provincial hospital has exhausted all its 1.43 million litres of water reserves. The hospital uses between 800,000-1,000,000 litres of water each day, while the current daily supply amounts to just 80,000 litres or just 10 percent of that required.

The Suranaree task force and the provincial rural highway office have been sending water trucks to supply the hospital, but it remains far short of the demand. Many residents have been providing drinking water to the hospital as well.

The Huey Saneng reservoir, in Tambon Chaniang in the Muang district, which used to be the main source of raw water for the waterworks authority, has almost dried up due to the prolonged drought, despite the onset of the wet season.

Meanwhile, the military and the provincial waterworks authority have installed about 12 kilometres of piping to extract water from three old quarries, which reportedly contain about three million cubic metres of water, for consumption in the provincial town.

Mr. Maitri Khetta, manager of the provincial waterworks authority, said that the water in the quarries will be sufficient to meet the demand for three months.

I would struggle to translate any of the instruction booklets here into Korean, and am prepared to forgive non-English readers for the subtleness of understanding the difference between sucking and pumping. Apart from that, the need - surely? - is to establish the performance of the beast and not the grammatical correctness of a flimsy leaflet.

Many will have deduced that 30m is the maximum "head" that the pump can achieve. As I have water at 13 metres, and the uppermost bathroom is less than 17 metres above the pump, I feel reasonably safe in assuming that the water can clean every relevant wrinkle and crevice, with some 8 metres to spare. For now at least.

Incidentally, in the post with the image of a pump plate, I stated that it was from Google and not from my pump.

IF the groundwater level in this area should fall to a level where my pump can't recover it, I'll let anyone know that might be interested.

GENERAL
Surin Hospital calls on outside help to counter water shortage crisis
PUBLISHED : 11 AUG 2019 AT 05:55

NEWSPAPER SECTION: NEWS

WRITER: POST REPORTERS

3287959.jpg

Local officials and volunteers remove debris from an 80-metre-long bridge across Huay Rokhi in tambon Laiwo in Kanchanaburi's Sangkhla Buri district as the water level continues rising due to heavy rain.
Surin Hospital has launched a crisis centre to mitigate the effects of a severe water shortage at the facility, said government spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat on Saturday, adding that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha plans to visit Surin next week.

The hospital earlier declared an emergency on Friday after it was hit hard by a water shortage which has limited tap water production.

The state-run hospital, one of the main medical facilities in Surin and neighbouring provinces, is relying on help from other agencies to ease the shortage.

Ms Narumon said the hospital has opened a crisis centre to work out ways to deliver services despite the limited water supply. The centre is monitoring the water situation in the province daily.

Despite the shortage, the hospital is operating as usual.

Ads by AdAsia

You can close Ad in 6 s

However, it needs to work closely with the provincial office of disaster mitigation, local administrative organisations and Provincial Waterworks Authority to manage the water available for use, she said.

Surin Hospital uses 800,000 litres to 1,000,000 litres of water on a daily basis. However, at present, a supply of only 80,000 litres -- 10% of normal consumption levels -- can be delivered by other agencies.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, who plans to visit the hospital on Sunday, has insisted the water crisis will not compromise medical standards.

Ms Narumon said Gen Prayut has ordered agencies to fix the problem and provide urgent relief.

He is scheduled to take a field trip to Surin and neighbouring Buri Ram on Aug 19 to inspect drought alleviation measures.

ท่าอากาศยานสุรินทร์ภักดี
ต้อนรับอากาศยานเที่ยวบินพิเศษ
คณะรองนายกรัฐมนตรี และรัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงสาธารณสุข ในช่วงเช้าของวันนี้ เพื่อตรวจเยี่ยมสถานการณ์ภัยแล้งของโรงพยาบาลสุรินทร์

In Airport, loyal.
Welcome the air, ship, special flight.
Deputy Prime Minister and minister that the ministry of public health in the morning of today to check out the drought situation of the in hospital.
·
Rate this translation

https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reacti...s6MjQ2NDIzODk3MDI2NDQxNA==&av=100001126630582

I would struggle to translate any of the instruction booklets here into Korean, and am prepared to forgive non-English readers for the subtleness of understanding the difference between sucking and pumping. Apart from that, the need - surely? - is to establish the performance of the beast and not the grammatical correctness of a flimsy leaflet.

Many will have deduced that 30m is the maximum "head" that the pump can achieve. As I have water at 13 metres, and the uppermost bathroom is less than 17 metres above the pump, I feel reasonably safe in assuming that the water can clean every relevant wrinkle and crevice, with some 8 metres to spare. For now at least.

Incidentally, in the post with the image of a pump plate, I stated that it was from Google and not from my pump.

IF the groundwater level in this area should fall to a level where my pump can't recover it, I'll let anyone know that might be interested.
The lady in the shop that is selling this pump when asked how deep the pump can go said, "No problems, it can pump as deep as you want it to pump, 20M, 30M, 40M or even 60M - no problems!" So there you have it. It's a jack of all trades and can handle any situation.

My wife is in town at the moment buying this pump, the Mitsan DP-301, and 5 lengths of 2 inch 'taps'. For some reason she has a mental block on the word pipes. I hope her Thai is better than her English. She has been on the phone to the man drilling the hole, he asked for 5 taps. Barring any hold ups he is going to bore the hole today. I have almost finished the electric supply from the house to the pumps.

Back