Wise - UK to Thailand Money Transfers (formerly Transferwise)

Something somewhere all to pot over Easter.

UK example - no payments taken from my Barclays account from 1st to 6th, including regular direct debits etc.
Transfer to Thailand, processed lunchtime 1st, still not in Bangkok Bank now (never remotely that long before).

Bangkok Bank today - renewing an ATM card took all day and 3 visits - systems down or not working properly.
Also I couldn't get the bank's app on my UK phone to work, whereas using the laptop it was fine - i.e. refusing to accept the same personal codes.
After many attempts, the Bank, using some internal system or other, did a re-set of it all using my phone and I then had to use their codes to re-set the app for the Bank on my computer.

All a bit odd.

Out of curiosity, I also asked about getting a credit card for my BKK account. Yes I can have one, but as a foreigner, I can't have any credit (????!!!!)
I had never asked before.

My PPF pension arrived on 1st April 2021 at just before 11 am. I don't know when it was sent.

Out of curiosity, I also asked about getting a credit card for my BKK account. Yes I can have one, but as a foreigner, I can't have any credit (????!!!!)

Apparently in UOB bank you can obtain a credit card which the use of is limited to the amount that you are required to deposit in a fixed credit card account.

Hearsay.

The Kasikorn "Shopping Card" acts in the same way as a credit card, except that the money is taken from your bank account immediately It is a virtual card, so can only be used for online purchases

The Kasikorn "Shopping Card" acts in the same way as a credit card, except that the money is taken from your bank account immediately It is a virtual card, so can only be used for online purchases

That is not the characteristic of a credit card......... that is the characteristic of a debit card.

I may have quoted this before. Paying my hotel bill in Perth W.A. a few years ago, they wouldn't accept my Kasikorn "Visa" debit card. A young student kid told me to tell them it was a "Visa" credit card. I did and it was accepted straight away. Didn't make sense to me that as a debit card the hotel would have received the funds virtually immediately whereas as a credit card they would need to wait 4 or 5 weeks.

Something somewhere all to pot over Easter.

UK example - no payments taken from my Barclays account from 1st to 6th, including regular direct debits etc.
Transfer to Thailand, processed lunchtime 1st, still not in Bangkok Bank now (never remotely that long before).

Bangkok Bank today - renewing an ATM card took all day and 3 visits - systems down or not working properly.
Also I couldn't get the bank's app on my UK phone to work, whereas using the laptop it was fine - i.e. refusing to accept the same personal codes.
After many attempts, the Bank, using some internal system or other, did a re-set of it all using my phone and I then had to use their codes to re-set the app for the Bank on my computer.

All a bit odd.

Update - for info
Money arrived in my BKB account today - full 6 days after sending from UK Barclays account - never happened before.
I reckon was sent yesterday April 6th, when my other UK bank payments re-started after stopping for some reason on April 1st.
No info from Barclays as to any general issue, and forget phoning them (although I tried)

As a comparison against the better rates from Transferwise - direct transfer between my accounts - rate received was 42.7 THB to the £.

This places the current year at 543 years ahead of the Gregorian calendar. The year 2021 CE is indicated as 2564 BE in Thailand. Despite adopting ISO 8601, Thai official date is still written in D/M/YYYY formats, such as 30 January 2564 BE (2021 CE) or 30/1/2564.

And I thought everyone knew that.

This places the current year at 543 years ahead of the Gregorian calendar. The year 2021 CE is indicated as 2564 BE in Thailand. Despite adopting ISO 8601, Thai official date is still written in D/M/YYYY formats, such as 30 January 2564 BE (2021 CE) or 30/1/2564.

And I thought everyone knew that.

I know the date. I don't know what BE signifies..

I know the date. I don't know what BE signifies..
I would have to say "Buddist Era" (BE), the western year CE plus 543. CE stands for Common Era, starting at Year 1 in the Christian calendar (anno domini or AD for short).

I would have to say "Buddist Era" (BE), the western year CE plus 543. CE stands for Common Era, starting at Year 1 in the Christian calendar (anno domini or AD for short).

I tried Googling and all I got was some guy called Hamlet and a dead joker called Yorky.

Last edited:
FOR INFORMATION

The UK's largest Insurance group AVIVA refuses to make payments via Wise (Transferwise) as they are not regulated by The Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA). Membership of the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) is deemed insufficent!!!!! Wise are not a bank in the true sense but an Electronic Money Institution.which comes under the scope of the FCA . I am in touch with Aviva's senior management re this nonsense!

Where do get the impression that the UK let's any twat in ?

I would suggest UK immigration rules for Thais are a lot tougher than Thai regulations for Brits.
Unless they are inflatable dinghies from France without any identification.

Back