Wise - UK to Thailand Money Transfers (formerly Transferwise)

I initially installed Wise on my PC, at that time called TransferWise, and at the beginning of the year I installed their app on my smartphone too. The latter is very quick and easy to use. I use my finger to unlock my phone (finger print recognition system), touch the Wise icon, then my finger again to open my Wise account (finger print recognition again). Nothing could be quicker or easier to use. I might add that my Lloyds International bank account (Isle of Man) uses the same system. So transferring money from the UK to Thailand is literally just 2 touches of the finger away, 3 if you include unlocking the phone first. Nothing could be quicker or easier to use, and all in the palm of your hand. :)

I initially installed Wise on my PC, at that time called TransferWise, and at the beginning of the year I installed their app on my smartphone too. The latter is very quick and easy to use. I use my finger to unlock my phone (finger print recognition system), touch the Wise icon, then my finger again to open my Wise account (finger print recognition again). Nothing could be quicker or easier to use. I might add that my Lloyds International bank account (Isle of Man) uses the same system. So transferring money from the UK to Thailand is literally just 2 touches of the finger away, 3 if you include unlocking the phone first. Nothing could be quicker or easier to use, and all in the palm of your hand. :)

That's OK if you're sufficiently dexterous to be able to use a touch sensitive handphone screen. Unfortunately, I'm not so I'll stick with the snail way on the laptop.

That's OK if you're sufficiently dexterous to be able to use a touch sensitive handphone screen. Unfortunately, I'm not so I'll stick with the snail way on the laptop.

To clarify.

To conduct a transaction from my account in the IOM (NatWest) I need to:

Open the website

Input my 10 digit customer number

Tick a box to accept certain conditions

Input some numbers of my pin code

Input some alpha numeric numbers from my 12 digit password

Confirm that my last visit is as stated

Confirm which transaction I wish to perform

Input the account to which I wish to send the money

Input the amount that I wish to send

Enter my pin number into my card reader to access it

Enter the 6 figure code indicated into my card reader

Input the 6 figure response to the site

Confirm to send

All that would drive me nuts on a handphone!

Oh, and then I need to access (Transfer)Wise.

Last edited:
To clarify.

To conduct a transaction from my account in the IOM (NatWest) I need to:

Open the website

Input my 10 digit customer number

Tick a box to accept certain conditions

Input some numbers of my pin code

Input some alpha numeric numbers from my 12 digit password

Confirm that my last visit is as stated

Confirm which transaction I wish to perform

Input the account to which I wish to send the money

Input the amount that I wish to send

Enter my pin number into my card reader to access it

Enter the 6 figure code indicated into my card reader

Input the 6 figure response to the site

Confirm to send

All that would drive me nuts on a handphone!

Oh, and then I need to access (Transfer)Wise.
Luddite! :)

So transferring money from the UK to Thailand is literally just 2 touches of the finger away, 3 if you include unlocking the phone first. Nothing could be quicker or easier to use, and all in the palm of your hand. :)

Surely, assuming that you are transferring over 1,000, that's 4 extra touches of the finger?

I cannot understand why I am considered the luddite (which I usually am) when it's the bank's rules that require the intricate and extensive procedure to transfer cash around the world.

I cannot understand why I am considered the luddite (which I usually am) when it's the bank's rules that require the intricate and extensive procedure to transfer cash around the world.
Using your smartphone and the respective apps, access to and use of your accounts, is so much easier than using your PC.

e.g. When using a bookmark to contact Wise on your PC, Wise asks for a verification code that they sent to your smartphone. So then you have to open up your smartphone, find the message from Wise, and enter the 6-digit code provided into your PC's app. If using your smartphone, all you have to do is place your finger on the scanner, and that will immediately open your Wise account.

:)

Using your smartphone and the respective apps, access to and use of your accounts, is so much easier than using your PC. :)

Not with NatWest International!

[Edit: And there's a major problem with your fingerprint system. How is my wife supposed to retrieve what's left in the NatWest International account after I'm dead?]

Last edited:
e.g. When using a bookmark to contact Wise on your PC, Wise asks for a verification code that they sent to your smartphone. So then you have to open up your smartphone, find the message from Wise, and enter the 6-digit code provided into your PC's app. If using your smartphone, all you have to do is place your finger on the scanner, and that will immediately open your Wise account.

:)

It's not the "Wise" transaction that's complicated (I'm perfectly capable of entering a six digit number with my laptop keyboard). It's the NatWest International bank in IOM.

Today a disappointing experience with Wise; despite higher fee for fast transfer still waiting for my money. Already 6 hours. Wise says they guarantee 2 days. That's not how it used to be. Strongly consider looking for another way

Today a disappointing experience with Wise; despite higher fee for fast transfer still waiting for my money. Already 6 hours. Wise says they guarantee 2 days. That's not how it used to be. Strongly consider looking for another way

That is a harsh judgement on a transfer that is still within their published timescales.

I guess we are spoiled by the usual 6 second transfers.

Transactions on a card seem to take longer, but transfer into your TW account then transfer to Thailand is usually cheaper and quicker (than transferring funds in to match the instructed transfer).

Transfers were always in seconds, not hours. Transfers always had an expected delivery time, also according to their site. Not now and Wise just says they guarantee 2 days. Something isn't right. I'd rather pay a little more for a reliable service

Not with NatWest International!

[Edit: And there's a major problem with your fingerprint system. How is my wife supposed to retrieve what's left in the NatWest International account after I'm dead?]
Time for a Will rewite Yorky.

(extra item) Before burial/bbqing, please cut off my right/left finger (1st/2nd/3rd/4th) and give to my widow to facilitate her access to my wealth.

I guess we are spoiled by the usual 6 second transfers.

My first transfer via wise was effected within 15 minutes (including the transfer from my IOM bank).

Given today's interest rates I couldn't give a shit whether it takes 15 minutes or two days as long as the exchange rate is guaranteed.

Transfers were always in seconds, not hours. Transfers always had an expected delivery time, also according to their site. Not now and Wise just says they guarantee 2 days. Something isn't right. I'd rather pay a little more for a reliable service

The interest given by my bank in IOM is zero.

The interest that I obtain here is 0.25 - 0.40% p.a.

Why would you wish to pay more to have your monies delivered within seconds rather than two days?

If I transfer £5,000.00 from the UK and it takes two days instead of a few seconds, I lose about ฿3.00 of interest.

Back