electric bill

The April electric bill arrived this morning and, as expected, higher than it has been. It's been very hot and sticky, the girls have been home on holiday, and because of the Covid-19 situation in Surin, we are staying pretty much indoors in the happy home. The air conditioning has been much in use. The number of units consumed was 1052, almost double the 630 units used in the previous month. So how much? 5,430.59 baht with 188.90 baht taken off the bill.

Oh Nomad! I have escaped lightly again this month when compared with you - 4,078.68 baht total. Still nearly £100 though which is not what I had in mind on arrival here. The few hundred baht per month that I paid for electricity in a basic room back in 2012/3 misled me! ;)

Oh Nomad! I have escaped lightly again this month when compared with you - 4,078.68 baht total. Still nearly £100 though which is not what I had in mind on arrival here. The few hundred baht per month that I paid for electricity in a basic room back in 2012/3 misled me! ;)
Whilst in your "basic room" 8/9 years ago, you were conceivably "misled" on occasions, which possibly totalled £100 a month or more. You would not have been alone :) :)

I think one explanation for my high electric bills, and this is not being sexist, is my 2 daughters. They both like long showers and one, in particular, still cranks the thermostat around to the red mark for her showers. Even an Englishman like me enjoys the cold showers at this time of the year.

I think one explanation for my high electric bills, and this is not being sexist, is my 2 daughters. They both like long showers and one, in particular, still cranks the thermostat around to the red mark for her showers. Even an Englishman like me enjoys the cold showers at this time of the year.

Bejasus! My dial rarely goes above 10% (if the heat is turned on at all).

When the weather here is at its least hottest (it's never cold!) the lowest powered shower units are turned to maximum to take the chill off the water, but the higher powered one is seldom turned beyond Yorky's 10%.

My stepdaughter has been back in Bangkok for many weeks. My stepson enjoys hot water though and makes up for her absence! My wife also enjoys hot water, but the dog is showered outside! :)

We have two floor mounted fans. The 16" Hitari, which I use most often, packed up last week (after 15 years). My wife bought a new electronic one (Hitari) which has an "intelligent setting"; apparently adjusting the fan speed as it assesses the temperature. I haven't used that setting yet. I'd hate to discover that a fan is cleverer than I.

Last edited:
With the high humidity and temperature this past month, together with a family of 4 virtually trapped indoors 24/7, the air conditioners are certainly earning their keep. The bill is better than expected, I had though the bill may top the 6,000 mark. Cheap at half the price: 5,859.93 baht.
;;big smile;;;;big smile;;;;big smile;;

With the high humidity and temperature this past month, together with a family of 4 virtually trapped indoors 24/7, the air conditioners are certainly earning their keep. The bill is better than expected, I had though the bill may top the 6,000 mark. Cheap at half the price: 5,859.93 baht.

We have different definitions of cheap!!

My house and condo combined were under 3,000 Baht.

Yorkie re your post @8.33 & I checked the units used on Apr & May s bills.
In Apr it was 350 units for B1408.37
but in May we had used 410 unit but they restricted the cost to just 350 units .

Back