Drying Rice in Thailand

After they've only given you half price for the "wet" rice!

Sorry to bring this back on topic: The family earned 5 Baht a kilo last season, then had to pay 20 Baht a kilo to buy rice to eat. The harvest this year has been so bad that don't plan to sell the rice at all. They will of course still have to pay the usual 500 baht per rai to harvest the rice. I have been considering how I can help them. Small Rice dehusker machines are pretty cheap and easy to buy in Thailand, with the added benefit that husks make good food for chickens and fish. Mini-rice-dryers are available in China alibaba.com/showroom/mini-rice-dryer.html but as had been said above they are probably not economic.

Sorry to bring this back on topic: The family earned 5 Baht a kilo last season, then had to pay 20 Baht a kilo to buy rice to eat. The harvest this year has been so bad that don't plan to sell the rice at all. They will of course still have to pay the usual 500 baht per rai to harvest the rice. I have been considering how I can help them. Small Rice dehusker machines are pretty cheap and easy to buy in Thailand, with the added benefit that husks make good food for chickens and fish. Mini-rice-dryers are available in China alibaba.com/showroom/mini-rice-dryer.html but as had been said above they are probably not economic.

I believe that due to the poor harvests, both this year and last. being put down to bad weather conditions, the government are making a payment to small farmers of some 1,200baht/rai (subject to a maximum). That should help to reduce your families loss.

Maybe also help them by encouraging them not to sell at harvest when the price tanks.

My missus stored hers until July and sold at 16+ Baht.

I believe that due to the poor harvests, both this year and last. being put down to bad weather conditions, the government are making a payment to small farmers of some 1,200baht/rai (subject to a maximum). That should help to reduce your families loss.
What about the tall ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe also help them by encouraging them not to sell at harvest when the price tanks.

My missus stored hers until July and sold at 16+ Baht

The family did not tell me how bad it was last year. They were forced to sell after harvest to pay bills. I agree @CO-CO and I have offered to help them do exact that this year, but the harvest is barely enough to provide food for the year

Out of curiosity @Bandersnatch, Which Amphur is the farm in?I ask because all Amphurs have different growing conditions and Rice Millers that can make all the difference.

My missus stored hers until July and sold at 16+ Baht.

I advised on that before to the locals. Was told that they always sold when harvested...had loans to repay, lao khao to buy, and not to interfere!.. They just do not want to better their lives, and the last people to help them to do so would be farangs!

I advised on that before to the locals. Was told that they always sold when harvested...had loans to repay, lao khao to buy, and not to interfere!.. They just do not want to better their lives, and the last people to help them to do so would be farangs!
"well yeah, been doing for 1000 years, can't change..."

"well yeah, been doing for 1000 years, can't change..."

I don't see too many Kwai ploughing the fields these days Mario. The last of this was seen by me around 15 years ago. Some family's still hand thrash and hand de husk. A lot of change have occurred in the last 15 years. I believe a huge upheaval is coming to rural Thailand and it concerns the age of the farmers. Family farms will disappear being replaced by broad rai mechanised farming. This will not happen until there is a collapse, and it will collapse. The government has not addressed this Elephant in the room. I give it another 10 years at the most. With the collapse there will no longer be cheap rice and the exploitation of rural Thailand will come to an end as well. Mind you rural Thailand may come to an end as well (As we know it). This has already played out in the U.S.A and Australia and many others countries I suppose. Addressing the OP. That is when they will find a better way of rice drying.

Can't argue with that, it's progress and it will happen. We are still seeing many locals doing it by hand, but more and more are turning to machinery. We inherited the de-husk machine from father-in-law when he passed a few years back, but got rid of it pretty quickly, and now several more are being used in our village.

We have a couple of small fields that are still being hand-picked (not by me, for darn sure), but I don't think this will keep being done in the future. The rice farmers are getting old and the youngsters don't want to do it. One of my neighbors has a harvester and he keeps getting busier and busier. Life goes on...

I don't see too many Kwai ploughing the fields these days Mario. The last of this was seen by me around 15 years ago. Some family's still hand thrash and hand de husk. A lot of change have occurred in the last 15 years. I believe a huge upheaval is coming to rural Thailand and it concerns the age of the farmers. Family farms will disappear being replaced by broad rai mechanised farming. This will not happen until there is a collapse, and it will collapse. The government has not addressed this Elephant in the room. I give it another 10 years at the most. With the collapse there will no longer be cheap rice and the exploitation of rural Thailand will come to an end as well. Mind you rural Thailand may come to an end as well (As we know it). This has already played out in the U.S.A and Australia and many others countries I suppose. Addressing the OP. That is when they will find a better way of rice drying.

Can't argue with that, it's progress and it will happen. We are still seeing many locals doing it by hand, but more and more are turning to machinery. We inherited the de-husk machine from father-in-law when he passed a few years back, but got rid of it pretty quickly, and now several more are being used in our village. We have a couple of small fields that are still being hand-picked (not by me, for darn sure), but I don't think this will keep being done in the future. The rice farmers are getting old and the youngsters don't want to do it. One of my neighbors has a harvester and he keeps getting busier and busier. Life goes on...

I think the two of you have hit the nail on the mark. Rural Thailand is dying on its feet. The rice growing and cultivation is predominantly the domain of the older generation, many now in their 60's and 70's that are still farming the lands. Once the older members can no longer farm the lands they are, the paddy fields that is, sold off for a fast buck by the younger generation. The younger generation does not want to know. There is better and easier money to be made in the towns and the cities. I agree, rural Thailand is in its death throes and will soon be a thing of the past.

I think the two of you have hit the nail on the mark. Rural Thailand is dying on its feet. The rice growing and cultivation is predominantly the domain of the older generation, many now in their 60's and 70's that are still farming the lands. Once the older members can no longer farm the lands they are, the paddy fields that is, sold off for a fast buck by the younger generation. The younger generation does not want to know. There is better and easier money to be made in the towns and the cities. I agree, rural Thailand is in its death throes and will soon be a thing of the past.

Our view (from outside the box) is based on western experience, and the feeling that there is always a need to make changes in the way that our economies work - greater efficiency through more mechanisation, reducing labour requirements, speedier production, all at the expense of the common man - whether he be one of the redundant workers or the end product's purchaser who sees price escalation as a major consequence of the new process method.

Back home, half a century and more ago, we bought most consumer items from local shops where service was always provided. Then came self-service instead, and with it a reduction in staffing needs - but prices still went up. The likes of Kwik Save opened supermarkets, selling food products as cheaply as possible out of cardboard boxes stacked on wooden shelves. Shoppers abandoned the corner shops in favour of self-selection and lower prices (and to hell with the appearance of the shopfittings.) Then along came the Tescos and Sainsbury's etc., with their wider aisles, fancy gondolas, smart flooring and décor, and that appealed to shoppers seeking change (and the vanity of shopping in a style that was more upmarket than their neighbours still used.) Kwik Save went into administration. Several times, to be reincarnated under different banners. Eventually, all the shops had to adopt the smart, new look, which came at a price - and had to be upgraded regularly lest they lose their appeal to the competition. The roundabout spins ever faster... The business owners ask how they can make more money to pay for all the "improvements" and wonder if they can ditch more staff. So we see the introduction of self-service check-out points... scan your own purchases, and the check-out operator loses his/her job. The technology costs more than the redundant worker's payoff, and the customer faces ever-higher prices that many can't afford (some of whom used to be check-out operators???) and some of those turn to the growing numbers of food banks in the UK... Where does it all end? Who is the winner in that process of evolution?

Not all stores close of course. Aldi and Lidl are thriving (on the basis of selling cheap.) So Tesco try to emulate them with a more basic experience of shopping at their new "Jacks" chain, just starting now. Cheapjack, maybe. Good for the shoppers if it does, but the owners will care more for profit and dividends to shareholders than the price of butter or margarine on the shelves.

The same happened with the old haberdasheries, tailors, and furniture shops seen in every town in the past. Along came the department stores such as Debenhams, Lewis's, BHS, and other "glossy" marques. But look at them now! Oh sorry - you can't as many have closed down - and others (such as Debenhams this week) are in their death throes.

I do wonder if all the corner shops would still be there if it wasn't for "innovation." As for "bigger is better" whether that's in farming, or in retail stores, the message is the same.

In this case @Merlin this is not change for the sake of progress or even one for greater profits, but a social evolution with the young deserting the farms, all because the elite have made it unprofitable to remain. It does not have to be this way.. It is a man made problem that is going to evolve all on its own. It is going to be interesting times watching the government trying to prevent the boat from going over the falls. It will sort its self out and there will be a lot of losers. Even the elite will suffer as exploiting the farmers will cease.

Back