New Garden Project

How is your back feeling ?
Thank you for your concern. Surprisingly, my back and arms are holding up quite well. It's my knees and thighs that seem to be a limiting factor. A single concrete mix is no problem but a double mix starts to put little strain on the lower half of the body. However, I do have a white chair in the garden, close to where I am working, and I can take a breather in between tasks. In days gone by, I would have probably lit up a cigarette while sitting down for 5 minutes or so. :cool::cool::cool:

1607740575661.png

At the garden gate ............................................... I needed a double mix but did not have enough cement. Made a start to connect the path with the entrance gate.

20201213_082330.jpg

I intend to make a gentle slope from the drive to the path to allow for ease of movement of wheeled loads.

Footnote: I bought in a couple of truck loads of paddy land for the front garden when we bought the house some 8 years ago. I dug the existing and spread the two truck loads largely by myself. It was put to grass. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how level the garden was when I started laying the paths. From the top to the bottom of the garden there is less than a couple of centimeters difference, and that difference is only in the last meter or so near the gate. I have now corrected the difference and the path is level from top to bottom.

:) :) :)

Last edited:
At the garden gate ............................................... I needed a double mix but did not have enough cement. Made a start to connect the path with the entrance gate.

Very unusual in Thailand to actually "blend in" the new to the old. The last 5 metres between the end of our road to the 2077 was left "unfinished" for over a year.

Very unusual in Thailand to actually "blend in" the new to the old. The last 5 metres between the end of our road to the 2077 was left "unfinished" for over a year.
An astute observation, and one I have noticed myself. Depending on the weather, and how I feel after the footy tonight (Fulham vs Liverpool @ 23.30), the connection should be made in the morning.

The side road to the right (east) of Thai Watsado is still unfinished between the resurfaced concrete road and the ring road.

Last edited:
Work suspended due to the possibility of inclement weather. Or, in other words, it's a rest day.

I am having a few day's rests after finishing the ramp. The path is now operational and SWMBO is very impressed with the work so far. She has also provided her seal of approval for Phase 2, the location and construction of the BBQ area. However, before starting on that project, I want to finish her 'planters' running alongside the fence. Some gentle digging and conditioning of the soil before resuming the heavier work of mixing and pouring concrete.

Then it was time to create a planter to house her numerous plants, essential for any Thai kitchen. These had been lovingly cared for, well hidden from potential predators within the darkest depths of the jungle.

View attachment 36987

And now, today, I have started on the first of 3 main pathways to access various parts of the garden and create more planters in the process.

View attachment 36988

View attachment 36989

Concreting starts tomorrow morning.
Nice level, I want one for my projects.

I am quite sure Thai Watsadu has what you need, or even DoHome for that matter. Not too expensive either.

That's good to have for small projects, but for something like Nomad's walkway a line level is much better. Very, very inexpensive and can help you level very long distances.View attachment 37304View attachment 37305
I'll have you know, my walkway (path) is straight enough and level enough for Government work. :D :D :D I have had the spirit level for many years and it has been used for many jobs around the house and garden.

I'll have you know, my walkway (path) is straight enough and level enough for Government work. :D :D :D I have had the spirit level for many years and it has been used for many jobs around the house and garden.
Different tools have different functions. I was only trying to suggest using the proper tool for the proper job. Imagine if all you have had "for many years" was a pocket level. It would have been tough to do many jobs if that's all you used.
Relax, I was only trying to help...
IMG_1328.JPG

I am quite sure Thai Watsadu has what you need, or even DoHome for that matter. Not too expensive either.

That's good to have for small projects, but for something like Nomad's walkway a line level is much better. Very, very inexpensive and can help you level very long distances.View attachment 37304View attachment 37305
I disagree. String lines will always sag a little, the greater the distance, the greater the sag. Add the weight of the small level to the line, and you will increase the sag in the line. A wet line will sag more.
Wind will also affect the lines stability.
A regular level coupled with a true straight edge, of either wooded or steel is perfect for projects such as @nomad97's But if you want real accuracy, then a level with a built in Laser is the way to go.

Back