Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

My de-facto is always required to sign one paper at Buriram. They have also often asked for a copy of her ID card................................... totally unnecessary, and irrelevant, where retirement extensions are concerned......but Immigration are a law unto themselves and I see no benefit in trying to correct them. Only one winner in that situation.

Walk in, sign whatever they put in front of me/us.......... walk out with 12 month stamp.

It's the same at S.I. My wife is always presented with some papers to sign, shows her ID, signs the papers, and the job is done. I have a feeling that the paperwork that is signed is something to do with being your landlord.

Last year while queuing inside, I witnessed a Farang from Sikhoraphum who was having a bit of a barney with the senior I.O. The gist of the conversation was along the lines of why he had to bring his wife/girlfriend with him to extend his permission to stay based on retirement. He was arguing vociferously that it was both totally unnecessary nor a requirement for his wife/girlfriend to be with him to extend his permission to stay. The senior I.O. was equally adamant that if he wanted his permission to stay extended it would be necessary for both of them to turn up together. His prepared paperwork was returned to him, and he was sent packing through the exit door, his paperwork unprocessed. I am very happy to say, the person in question was not @Rice.

I should be offended Colin............... unusual for us heterosexuals to be discriminated against....;):grinning:

No! It is same sex Partners that are being discriminated on, That's why I asked the question. That is not the answer I would of liked.
Not even considered equal to hetro partners unmarried. Which they should be. So what is the f#$#@ difference then. :mad:

Thanks for the answer @ColinW.

I have a feeling that the paperwork that is signed is something to do with being your landlord.

I was also of that impression. When I make up the "Extension of stay document pack" I always include a copy of my wife's I.D. and her blue book. Sometimes they keep the blue book copy, sometimes give it back. I believe that they've always kept the I.D. copy.

No! It is same sex Partners that are being discriminated on, That's why I asked the question. That is not the answer I would of liked.
Not even considered equal to hetro partners unmarried. Which they should be. So what is the f#$#@ difference then. :mad:

Thanks for the answer @ColinW.

You missed the point.........................

We are still being discriminated against, we're married in the UK, can't marry in Thailand and have to have 800k in the bank for my retirement visa.

Discriminatory, I agree, but Thailand has the right to make it's own laws - and you were aware of that. It simply deprives you of the 400k option.................. as it does with me - why should I be 'forced' to marry to get that benefit when we have been together for 14 years.

How do you fare regarding a yellow Tabien Ban ?

Discriminatory, I agree, but Thailand has the right to make it's own laws - and you were aware of that. It simply deprives you of the 400k option.................. as it does with me - why should I be 'forced' to marry to get that benefit when we have been together for 14 years.

How do you fare regarding a yellow Tabien Ban ?

About seven years ago I had no trouble getting a yellow Tabien Ban.
Went with Wood and the village head man

About seven years ago I had no trouble getting a yellow Tabien Ban.
Went with Wood and the village head man

Whereas Prakhonchai will not consider me unless we first marry.

I always take it along with a copy when I renew my retirement visa - from what's being said here it's not necessary.

As I understand it, it serves as proof of address - one of the requirements for the application.

I never offer a copy of it but I always keep it (and a copy) in reserve. Before I had the YTB I had to obtain a document from Immigration to prove my address for certain transactions (e.g. buying or selling a vehicle). So, to now say the YTB is required for immigration as a proof of address to me appears to be arse about face?

Have you ever used it? (YTB)
Yes, it is very handy when renewing your 5-year driving licence. It is proof of your address and saves the hassle of obtaining a letter from Immigration that shows your address (cost 500 baht for the letter). Also useful for registration of vehicles at the Licencing Center. There are other uses too as my wife has copied it a few times for other things to do with school.

Unfortunately from past experience it is not accepted as proof of address for UK passport renewals, unless it was issued less than 1 year before being used. Even then it is in Thai and needs the name and address part needs to be translated

Unfortunately from past experience it is not accepted as proof of address for UK passport renewals, unless it was issued less than 1 year before being used. Even then it is in Thai and needs the name and address part needs to be translated

Did I need "proof of address" when I renewed my passport last year, Nick. I can't remember.

Did I need "proof of address" when I renewed my passport last year, Nick. I can't remember.

Just in case Nick is having a nap, I will reply.....yes. I imagine in your case the IOM bank letter or UK pension/tax letter. A YTB is not ideal as it needs translation and, technically, most are not issued in the last 6 months.

Just in case Nick is having a nap, I will reply.....yes. I imagine in your case the IOM bank letter or UK pension/tax letter. A YTB is not ideal as it needs translation and, technically, most are not issued in the last 6 months.

Probably a copy of a UK pension letter.

Does he have afternoon naps?

Back