Thai immigration clarifies situation for tourists and long term visa holders during amnesty period

Yes, it is very handy when renewing your 5-year driving licence. It is proof of your address and saves the hassle of obtaining a letter from Immigration that shows your address (cost 500 baht for the letter). Also useful for registration of vehicles at the Licencing Center. There are other uses too as my wife has copied it a few times for other things to do with school.

They actually cost nothing. You were charged 500 Baht. When I went in last year the cost was nothing and I was charged nothing. It all depends on the current corruption cycle. Being on or off at any one time you go in. I went in when the Off cycle had hit its peak and they were displaying the "No Tips" sign. I would like to report that, the sign has found its rightful place in the trash and the cycle dipping into the trough. Pun intended!

They actually cost nothing. You were charged 500 Baht. When I went in last year the cost was nothing and I was charged nothing. It all depends on the current corruption cycle. Being on or off at any one time you go in. I went in when the Off cycle had hit its peak and they were displaying the "No Tips" sign. I would like to report that, the sign has found its rightful place in the trash and the cycle dipping into the trough. Pun intended!

I've had the "proof of address" three times. Twice I was not charged, once I was charged ฿500.00.

I've had the "proof of address" three times. Twice I was not charged, once I was charged ฿500.00.

The proof of address letter, valid for 30 days only, was always intended to be free of charge service. However, as per @Yorky, I have received the letter without charge on a couple of occasions and, similarly, I have been charged twice too. The Yellow Tabien Baan is a free service although a tip box was on display on the counter. Ironically, to obtain the Yellow Tabien Baan you will need that damned letter from Immigration to prove you live where you say you live. But, once obtained, you will never need another letter of address from Immigration. The Yellow Tabien Baan has no expiry date. :D:D:D

Ironically, to obtain the Yellow Tabien Baan you will need that damned letter from Immigration to prove you live where you say you live. But, once obtained, you will never need another letter of address from Immigration. The Yellow Tabien Baan has no expiry date. :D:D:D

I did not need a "damned letter from Immigration" to obtain my YTB. Which, if you remember, I obtained about 15 minutes after you obtained yours.

Back