Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

No one knows how long this draught will last. What I read at least through next year. The best projection for rain is September and October. What is being done at this moment Imho is just a bandaid on a major artery cut. As for the capacity of the aquifer under Surin we need to ask the authorities. A town of 50k needs water and a mud hole does not make it. A solution is needed now. That solution has to be implemented ASAP because it will take time to construct it. After that solution is in place and water restored for Surin then they can go ahead with the revamp of their mud hole.

Good question. Answer unknown.

I would certainly imagine the water table would drop. How long it would take to drop from the current level to 30/40metres is unknown. What is the water table level today, and what was it before the drought? Those figures may help to provide some clues to the answer to the question.

If many, many bores are put down in Surin City. Does the water table drop or is there an unlimited water supply down below?

I can state that about 20 years ago the water table at my drum varied between 6 and 10 metres down. It is now approx 13 metres down. Of course, that drop could have happened just this year.

I can state that about 20 years ago the water table at my drum varied between 6 and 10 metres down. It is now approx 13 metres down. Of course, that drop could have happened just this year.

If the water table was at ground level before the current drought, (which of course it wasn't) and is now at 13 metres, it will likely take a very long time to drop to 30/40 metres, especially considering only a fraction of the locals will be pumping from a bore.

Prayut makes drought inspection trip to Surin, Buri Ram

By The Nation

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha left on a 7am military plane to the Buri Ram airport on Monday morning to gather first-hand information on the drought in Buri Ram and Surin provinces.

Prayut and his entourage were scheduled to observe the water level of the Huay Saneng Reservoir in Surin in the morning, where they would be briefed about the northeastern province’s water shortage.

After the briefing, Prayut would oversee a ceremony to dispatch water trucks from the Surin Irrigation Office to help affected villagers. He would then hold a meeting with the governors of 20 northeastern provinces at the Surin provincial hall.

The prime minister and his entourage would later visit the Surin rainmaking unit at Surin airport.

In the afternoon, Prayut is scheduled to visit Huay Chorake Mak Reservoir in Buri Ram province, where he would be briefed about the water shortage.

Before the entourage returns to Bangkok, the prime minister is also to meet with 118 villagers who allowed the authorities to use parts of their land to dig an irrigation canal to draw water from Lam Pathia river to the Huay Talad Reservoir to tackle drought.

Prayut is accompanied by Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda, Agriculture Minister Chalermchai Sri-on, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa, and Deputy Defence Minister General Chaicharn Changmongkhol.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374953

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-19

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118499-prayut-makes-drought-inspection-trip-to-surin-buri-ram/

Surin International. ;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;

SurinCityTalk | อัพเดตทุกเรื่องเมืองสุรินทร์added6 new photosto the album:ท่าอากาศยานสุรินทร์ภักดี.
3 mins·
ยินดีต้อนรับนายกรัฐมนตรี และคณะรัฐมนตรีสู่ท่าอากาศยานสุรินทร์ภักดี วันนี้ลานจอดเต็มไปด้วยเครื่องบินและเฮลิคอปเตอร์ อีกครั้งที่สนามบินสุรินทร์ภักดี ได้มีโอกาสต้อนรับนายกรัฐมนตรีของประเทศไทย ได้ทำหน้าที่ของสนามบินใจกลางเมืองสุรินทร์

#ท่าอากาศยานสุรินทร์ภักดี#จังหวัดสุรินทร์

·
Rate this translation

+3

Wood has gone to do his bit working for a friend arranging flowers yesterday and today in Surin and Buriram

Do they look like these.:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

How-To-Harvest-Outdoor-Marijuana-Plants.jpg

First indication of a major positive.

บิ๊กตู่ลั่น “สุรินทร์แล้ง” ไม่ต้องจ่ายค่าน้ำประปา
ทุ่มงบกว่า 2,000 ล้านแก้ปัญหาเร่งด่วน

โดย jangkhao news

Big tu says "in drought" no need to pay for the water fee.
Over 2,000 million budget, solve the problem urgently.

By jangkhao news
·
Rate this translation

About this website

JANGKHAO.COM

บิ๊กตู่ลั่น “สุรินทร์แล้ง” ไม่ต้องจ่ายค่าน้ำประปา ทุ่มงบกว่า 2,000 ล้านแก้ปัญหาเร่งด่วน
เมื่อเวลา 09.00 น. ของวันที่ 19 สิงหาคม 2562 พล.อ.ประยุทธ์ จันทร์โอชา นายกรัฐมนตรี และคณะ ตรวจราชการพื้นที่จังหวัดสุ.....

Its ruff but readable. Looks like they have a plane and it's been put into motion. Keep your spirts up and keep boring.:D:D:D:D BTW NO WATER BILL this month.;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;

30,617 households affected

. The irrigation project has installed 2 pumps, 6 inches, which can pump 9,000 cubic meters of raw water per day from the Rajamangala University of Technology Isan reservoir. Surin Campus (Ang Tears), which has a capacity of 250,000 cubic meters, passed through to the Senong Creek to the Water Treatment Plant of the Provincial Waterworks Authority, Surin Branch. Which can pump water to produce 6,000 cubic meters of water per day, starting from 17 July 2019 and continuing

2. The irrigation project has installed 1 pump of 12 inches and 8 inches in the area of private water wells. To pump raw water to produce tap water through natural canals And through the pipeline system for a distance of about 12 km, starting pumping from 3 August 2019, the water has already traveled to Huai Senong Reservoir since 8 August 2019, currently being carried out continuously

3. Surin Provincial Waterworks Authority Carry out the installation of a 60-inch pipe at Ban Khlong Khlong Sqm through the pipeline through 214 Ban Khok Sa-at road through the Buffalo Research Center. Into the natural canal, Baan Sa Kuan, distance of 4.4 km. Now completed. Using the budget of the Provincial Waterworks Authority of Surin Province for approximately 27 million baht to purchase pipes to deliver raw water

4. Surin Provincial Waterworks Authority Conducted drilling 3 artesian wells at Huai Senong Basin to use groundwater to produce tap water The process was completed on 29 July 2019.

However, the problem is that the tap water produced is still turbid. Because in the past Water pumped from Huai Senong Has very high sediment and turbidity Making the water filtration process take longer while the water supply produced is small Therefore having to reduce water pressure Causing the tap water to flow slowly or do not flow at the destination and there are sediment residues along the water pipeline. Therefore, in order to solve the shortage of tap water in the urgent period Provincial Waterworks Authority, Surin Branch will proceed with the proposal. Requesting a budget to support 2 activities for laying a long-distance water pipeline and installing a high-pressure pump directly from the water source at the quarry to the waterworks directly. Total budget is 92 million baht. In addition, Surin Irrigation Project Will propose short-term plans

Dredging reservoir project to increase capacity And renovating water diversion canals from the quarry for 6 activities totaling 110 million baht. In the long term, the Provincial Waterworks Authority, Surin Branch Will propose a budget for dredging raw water pools to be a reserve water source for tap water production with a budget of 56 million baht and Surin Irrigation Project will propose a budget support The project to increase the efficiency of the catchment of the Huay Senong Basin in the amount of 1,000 million baht and the project to increase the efficiency of the reservoir up to 800 million baht. In the short-term and long-term urgency of 11 budget activities, totaling 2,058 million baht.

Requesting budget support for 11 activities as follows

Provincial Waterworks Authority Surin Branch

Urgent plan 1. Laying the raw water pipe connecting from the stone pond to the pumping point at the end of the canal. Ban sqm, Na Bua Subdistrict, Mueang Surin District Surin Province, length 6 kilometers, budget 36,000,000 baht

2. Lay the raw water pipe connecting from Phanom Sawai National Guard Box (On Highway 214) to the raw water pipeline of the Waterworks Authority (Huai Senong Inlet), Chien Yong Sub-district, Mueang Surin District Surin Province, length 9 kilometers, budget 56,000,000 baht

Long-term plan

1. Dredging raw water pond to increase the capacity of 500,000 cubic meters at the Ko Kho (Lam Chi) production station, budget 56,000,000 baht, Surin Irrigation Project, short-term plan

1. Dredging Huai Senong Reservoir Phase 2 (increase the amount of water to store around 1,000,000 cubic meters) with a budget of 30,000,000 baht.

Dredging reservoir project to increase capacity And renovating water diversion canals from the quarry for 6 activities totaling 110 million baht. In the long term, the Provincial Waterworks Authority, Surin Branch Will propose a budget for dredging raw water pools to be a reserve water source for tap water production with a budget of 56 million baht and Surin Irrigation Project will propose a budget support The project to increase the efficiency of the catchment of the Huay Senong Basin in the amount of 1,000 million baht and the project to increase the efficiency of the reservoir up to 800 million baht. In the short-term and long-term urgency of 11 budget activities, totaling 2,058 million baht.

Requesting budget support for 11 activities as follows

Provincial Waterworks Authority Surin Branch

Urgent plan 1. Laying the raw water pipe connecting from the stone pond to the pumping point at the end of the canal. Ban sqm, Na Bua Subdistrict, Mueang Surin District Surin Province, length 6 kilometers, budget 36,000,000 baht

2. Lay the raw water pipe connecting from Phanom Sawai National Guard Box (On Highway 214) to the raw water pipeline of the Waterworks Authority (Huai Senong Inlet), Chien Yong Sub-district, Mueang Surin District Surin Province, length 9 kilometers, budget 56,000,000 baht

Long-term plan

1. Dredging raw water pond to increase the capacity of 500,000 cubic meters at the Ko Kho (Lam Chi) production station, budget 56,000,000 baht, Surin Irrigation Project, short-term plan

1. Dredging Huai Senong Reservoir Phase 2 (increase the amount of water to store around 1,000,000 cubic meters) with a budget of 30,000,000 baht.

In addition, Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha also mentioned that urgent matters must be taken to solve the water supply problems in the city area before saying that reducing the water bill this month is fine. Not populist But the people are in trouble Opened with wind, turbid water, why still have to pay water again? I understand my brothers. Have experienced the same problem

Our house is, allegedly, at the far end of the city's pipeline, and at the end of the last soi to be supplied with city water.

It is therefore good news for all (I'd say!) that we were able to switch supplies from the bore hole back to the mains supply last night. There may only have been a trickle of water at first (which was clear) but despite 3 of us having showers last night and again this morning, the 1,000litre tank was full at breakfast time.

Will it last? Who knows, except that it hasn't rained enough to restore Huay Saneng to anything like the levels usually seen at this time of year, and if water has been pumped into the reservoir from Khao Sawai as well, then the water consumed is far exceeding the natural inflow. As GL said above, it's a sticking plaster on an severed artery.

At one time there would have been zero bore holes in Surin - just to fix a starting point - and the city wasn't under water at the time. Then 1 bore hole was drilled. It depleted the groundwater supply by a tiny proportion of what was there. Years later, more bore holes were drilled, and more of the water was abstracted. Meanwhile, it rained too, topping up the groundwater. At some stage in history the abstraction and its replacement were in balance. Then came a drought, and the abstraction exceeded the rainfall available to replace it. This caused the drilling of more boreholes. That, in turn, increased the abstraction rate exponentially... which is where we are today, with still more bore holes being drilled every day.

There's a famous tale about a college professor who filled a glass with pebbles and asked his students if the glass was full. Most said yes. He then added sand in between the pebbles and asked the same question, receiving the same answer. Finally, he added water to the glass, and it filled the spaces between the grains of sand and between the pebbles. It was only then that the glass became full. The relevance of that part of his longer story is to illustrate that the amount of groundwater under Surin depends on the structure of the ground. We seem to have a lot of clay, judging only by the state of the ponds around town once the buffalos have wallowed a while. There are relatively few stones in the soil. To me, that suggests we're at the second stage of the professor's tale, i.e. that there is room for water only between the "grains" of the very small soil particles, which means that the rate of depletion of groundwater is faster now that even more bore holes exist.

Our water bills in recent weeks have been much smaller than previous ones. Mine was just over 100thb compared with between 400 and 600 previously. More people with new bore holes now will be tempted to continue using their new source of water as it is free - and in order to justify the cost of their installation and filters etc., which may offer some relief to the Surin water company, as their system may not be in such high demand in future leading to increasing levels in Huay Saneng (given more rainfall to come.)

However, nowt in life is free... and the soil in the area will need more water from somewhere to keep filling the gaps between the soil particles mentioned above. Where will it come from? Rainfall is one obvious source (if it exists.) Water from Huay Saneng and other catchments filtering through the ground is another source. As the rice farmers irrigate their paddies, they will require more water than before if an increased proportion of it soaks through the land to provide replacement groundwater.

It might well be argued that the huge area of land in the province can hold much more water than will be abstracted by the many thousands of bore-holes constructed in the past, present, and the future. There's no way that I would hazard a guess at the total capacity available, or the total being abstracted. I have a feeling of unease though that we're taking out much more than Nature provides today, and more than she's ever provided in the past. It seems inevitable therefore that there will be a negative outcome at some point in the future, even if no-one can predict when it will eventually cause the boreholes to dry up... and that's why I won't be using our bore hole as our principle source of water, irrespective of it being "free."

Our house is, allegedly, at the far end of the city's pipeline, and at the end of the last soi to be supplied with city water.

It is therefore good news for all (I'd say!) that we were able to switch supplies from the bore hole back to the mains supply last night. There may only have been a trickle of water at first (which was clear) but despite 3 of us having showers last night and again this morning, the 1,000litre tank was full at breakfast time.

Will it last? Who knows, except that it hasn't rained enough to restore Huay Saneng to anything like the levels usually seen at this time of year, and if water has been pumped into the reservoir from Khao Sawai as well, then the water consumed is far exceeding the natural inflow. As GL said above, it's a sticking plaster on an severed artery.

At one time there would have been zero bore holes in Surin - just to fix a starting point - and the city wasn't under water at the time. Then 1 bore hole was drilled. It depleted the groundwater supply by a tiny proportion of what was there. Years later, more bore holes were drilled, and more of the water was abstracted. Meanwhile, it rained too, topping up the groundwater. At some stage in history the abstraction and its replacement were in balance. Then came a drought, and the abstraction exceeded the rainfall available to replace it. This caused the drilling of more boreholes. That, in turn, increased the abstraction rate exponentially... which is where we are today, with still more bore holes being drilled every day.

There's a famous tale about a college professor who filled a glass with pebbles and asked his students if the glass was full. Most said yes. He then added sand in between the pebbles and asked the same question, receiving the same answer. Finally, he added water to the glass, and it filled the spaces between the grains of sand and between the pebbles. It was only then that the glass became full. The relevance of that part of his longer story is to illustrate that the amount of groundwater under Surin depends on the structure of the ground. We seem to have a lot of clay, judging only by the state of the ponds around town once the buffalos have wallowed a while. There are relatively few stones in the soil. To me, that suggests we're at the second stage of the professor's tale, i.e. that there is room for water only between the "grains" of the very small soil particles, which means that the rate of depletion of groundwater is faster now that even more bore holes exist.

Our water bills in recent weeks have been much smaller than previous ones. Mine was just over 100thb compared with between 400 and 600 previously. More people with new bore holes now will be tempted to continue using their new source of water as it is free - and in order to justify the cost of their installation and filters etc., which may offer some relief to the Surin water company, as their system may not be in such high demand in future leading to increasing levels in Huay Saneng (given more rainfall to come.)

However, nowt in life is free... and the soil in the area will need more water from somewhere to keep filling the gaps between the soil particles mentioned above. Where will it come from? Rainfall is one obvious source (if it exists.) Water from Huay Saneng and other catchments filtering through the ground is another source. As the rice farmers irrigate their paddies, they will require more water than before if an increased proportion of it soaks through the land to provide replacement groundwater.

It might well be argued that the huge area of land in the province can hold much more water than will be abstracted by the many thousands of bore-holes constructed in the past, present, and the future. There's no way that I would hazard a guess at the total capacity available, or the total being abstracted. I have a feeling of unease though that we're taking out much more than Nature provides today, and more than she's ever provided in the past. It seems inevitable therefore that there will be a negative outcome at some point in the future, even if no-one can predict when it will eventually cause the boreholes to dry up... and that's why I won't be using our bore hole as our principle source of water, irrespective of it being "free."

I am not wearing rose-tinted glasses and I do not see things quite the same way as @Merlin. Like @Merlin, I too am at the end of the line for the town's water supply and in times of limited supply only get a trickle after everyone else has taken their fill. I am, therefore, running on our borehole, not because it is 'free' but because it is a reliable and a clean source of supply. It's hardly free when the cost of installation exceeds the monthly water bills by a very significant factor. It would take 10 years to amortise the cost of installation based on the monthly water bill alone. I look it another way. Because I am using water from a borehole, like many others, the town's water supply goes a lot further. Moreover, it goes to those who have no alternative water supply and are totally dependent on the town's water supply for their daily needs. By all accounts, the town's water supply is strictly limited with some reports suggesting 3 months at best before the quarries run dry. We will be into the dry season by then with very little rain until the following May/June. I wonder where the town will find water for it's dependent customers.

I have yet to re-plumb my old town water tank, 2,100 litres, but I will do so in such a way that it becomes a dual system with the borehole. The outlet from the tank after filling with the town's water supply, will be through my new filters before going into the house. When I know how quickly a muddy sediment accumulates in the bottom of the tank, together with the usual brownish tinge to the water in the taps, I know I needed additional filtration a long time ago. Now that I have invested heavily in a filtration system I now have the means to remedy this situation.

Back