Changed rules again

Posted October 24 (edited)
I am in Savannakhet now, I just applied for the visa.

The officer told me they now require bank statement showing 400k in the bank, as of last week. He didn't seem happy about it.

I changed my application to a 90 day single entry, no bank statement required for this.

I guess savannakhet is about to get even quieter...

A single re entry permit is 1000 baht
A multiple re entry permit is 3800 baht.

So a one year visa + multiple re entry is 5800 baht, a 800 baht increase plus more paperwork.
Play the re entry permit date and get your extra 90 days as you don't need one as you have to leave Thailand after 15 months to get a new visa

A single re entry permit is 1000 baht
A multiple re entry permit is 3800 baht.

So a one year visa + multiple re entry is 5800 baht, a 800 baht increase plus more paperwork.
Play the re entry permit date and get your extra 90 days as you don't need one as you have to leave Thailand after 15 months to get a new visa

Your wires are crossed George.

You do not have reentry permits with visas - only with extensions of stay.

Visas are (mostly) issued outside of Thailand. They can be single entry (normally 90 days) or Multiple Entry. If ME then you HAVE to leave Thailand every 90 days.

Extensions of stay are only granted in Thailand. If for 12 months then you have to report your address every 90 days.

@Cent is going to Savannakhet for a visa. He would like ME but that requires evidence of income; he will likely come away with a single entry visa, based on marriage to a Thai, valid for 90 days. The theory with the single entry is that it gives you time to get your ducks in a row (finanacial seasoning etc) for making an application (in Thailand) for an extension of stay.

I was given to understand that if you had a two month single entry visa (issued from outside Thailand) and wished to leave say after one month for a couple of days, you could obtain a re-entry permit thereby avoiding cancellation of your visa.

Admittedly that was some years ago.

I was given to understand that if you had a two month single entry visa (issued from outside Thailand) and wished to leave say after one month for a couple of days, you could obtain a re-entry permit thereby avoiding cancellation of your visa.

That, I am not aware of - it does not seem logical when it is called single entry: but then again, I can see that a reentry permit might be a way round it.

I have a multiple entry one year extension based on marriage from Savanakhet. No financials required, they were offered in single entry or multiple entry at 2000 baht or 5000 baht respectively.

I never could understand the purpose of buying a single entry when you must leave the country every 90 days and obviously re enter.

I understand it is only a 90 day visa after which you must exit the country and upon return you are granted a further 90 days. This allows you to obtain 449 days on a one year extension.

To re enter Thailand with a single entry visa a re entry permit is required. It is 3800 baht for a one year multiple entry permit.

Wouldn't a one year extension based on marriage with a one year multiple reentry permit accomplish the same thing?

Spot on.

Screenshot_20231031_162638.jpg

I have a multiple entry one year extension based on marriage from Savanakhet. No financials required, they were offered in single entry or multiple entry at 2000 baht or 5000 baht respectively.

I never could understand the purpose of buying a single entry when you must leave the country every 90 days and obviously re enter.

I understand it is only a 90 day visa after which you must exit the country and upon return you are granted a further 90 days. This allows you to obtain 449 days on a one year extension.

To re enter Thailand with a single entry visa a re entry permit is required. It is 3800 baht for a one year multiple entry permit.

Wouldn't a one year extension based on marriage with a one year multiple reentry permit accomplish the same thing?
You do not have an EXTENSION you have a VISA .

You would not have a reentry permit with a ME visa... you can come and go whenever you like.

Your wires are crossed George.

Visas are (mostly) issued outside of Thailand. They can be single entry (normally 90 days) or Multiple Entry. If ME then you HAVE to leave Thailand every 90 days.

Extensions of stay are only granted in Thailand. If for 12 months then you have to report your address every 90 days.

@Cent is going to Savannakhet for a visa. He would like ME but that requires evidence of income; he will likely come away with a single entry visa, based on marriage to a Thai, valid for 90 days. The theory with the single entry is that it gives you time to get your ducks in a row (finanacial seasoning etc) for making an application (in Thailand) for an extension of stay.
OK, it looks like they just started requiring an income verification paperwork here for the consulate in Savannakhet a few weeks ago. New recent requirements now.

No more multiple entry visas based on marriage in Savannakhet consulate without the income verification paperwork, which you can no longer get from your embassy as we used to be able to get. The US Embassy no longer issues them. I don't know exactly what they consider proof of income now that is acceptable when basing your visa on your monthly income rather than a 400K or 800K bank deposit 3 months in a Thai bank before a visa is issued (and which supposedly cannot be used/withdrawn for 2 months after your visa is issued).

No more multiple entry visas based on marriage in Savannakhet consulate without the income verification paperwork, which you can no longer get from your embassy as we used to be able to get. The US Embassy no longer issues them. I don't know exactly what they consider proof of income now that is acceptable when basing your visa on your monthly income rather than a 400K or 800K bank deposit 3 months in a Thai bank before a visa is issued (and which supposedly cannot be used/withdrawn for 2 months after your visa is issued).

I am not sure (I will try and check if I have time) that you can use income for a VISA. I am aware that a bank statement showing evidence of funds, has been used.

On the bright side Immigration has changed the rules to allow Russians to stay 90days visa free.

I am not sure (I will try and check if I have time) that you can use income for a VISA. I am aware that a bank statement showing evidence of funds, has been used.
In my case, I am using an extension based on a legal Australian marriage--translated into Thai and reaffirmed yearly at district.
I also use well doccumented proof of income, ie: evidence from my Aussie bank for the transferee, Evidence from OFX of the transferee in THB, evidence from my Thai bank
Spanning the previous year totaling >B400,000.tying the other 2 doccs together +the other bits and bobs, photo's etc.
It was a learning curve the first year but, we have had no issues----------SO FAR.

In my case, I am using an extension based on a legal Australian marriage--translated into Thai and reaffirmed yearly at district.
I also use well doccumented proof of income, ie: evidence from my Aussie bank for the transferee, Evidence from OFX of the transferee in THB, evidence from my Thai bank
Spanning the previous year totaling >B400,000.tying the other 2 doccs together +the other bits and bobs, photo's etc.
It was a learning curve the first year but, we have had no issues----------SO FAR.

A marriage in Thailand (not a village wedding) has just as much international validity than one on in Australia, UK, USA etc. The only thing that is relevant to Immigration is the amphur entry.

Jomtien like to see the same amount every month - preferably on the same date (but they can't insist on that). In course mate you need to show 40,000 Baht each and every month. The option of 400k (in my case 800k) spread throughout the year was removed some time ago. Don't miss a month or you will be fooked.

A marriage in Thailand (not a village wedding) has just as much international validity than one on in Australia, UK, USA etc. The only thing that is relevant to Immigration is the amphur entry.

Jomtien like to see the same amount every month - preferably on the same date (but they can't insist on that). In course mate you need to show 40,000 Baht each and every month. The option of 400k (in my case 800k) spread throughout the year was removed some time ago. Don't miss a month or you will be fooked.
We had the pigs head wedding in Bansala and, as part of Pat's prospective spouse visa to Aus, we had to be legally married
within 9 months for Pat to obtain temporary residence, then permanant residence followed by citizenship.
The amount in THB monthly only varies due to the exchange rate but is well in excess of the requirement.
The dates when credits are made are within 3-4 days of one another as, if there is a weekend involved,a transferee from Aus wont proceed.
Last year, February, the lady, ( not Medusa ), checked my records and nodded saying I had an income ok----she didn't tally the months up.
This year will be no issue as, I brought a considerable sum over from Aus to pay the house off.

We had the pigs head wedding in Bansala and, as part of Pat's prospective spouse visa to Aus, we had to be legally married
within 9 months for Pat to obtain temporary residence, then permanant residence followed by citizenship.
The amount in THB monthly only varies due to the exchange rate but is well in excess of the requirement.
The dates when credits are made are within 3-4 days of one another as, if there is a weekend involved,a transferee from Aus wont proceed.
Last year, February, the lady, ( not Medusa ), checked my records and nodded saying I had an income ok----she didn't tally the months up.
This year will be no issue as, I brought a considerable sum over from Aus to pay the house off.

Yes, I should have said MINIMUM 40k pm.

So, presumably, you will be applying for your extension next time based on money in the bank?

Back