Extension of Visa Based on Retirement

I stepped off my extension of Visa based on retirement.

Hopefully the next month proves fruitful with progress for making a Visa based on a "mirage".

1702365893866-1555290917.jpg

I have not a clue what this stamp is...but was assured it is what one moves oneself towards a visa based on future marriage.
Okee-dokkee.

I stepped off my extension of Visa based on retirement.

Hopefully the next month proves fruitful with progress for making a Visa based on a "mirage".

View attachment 71771

I have not a clue what this stamp is...but was assured it is what one moves oneself towards a visa based on future marriage.
Okee-dokkee.

My understanding is that you have a Non immigrant O Visa which had previously been extended for retirement until roughly the 14th December 2023 (or thereabouts) and have now received a further 30 day extension (still to the original visa.)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no visa available based on a future marriage.

For a further 12 months extension, you may stick with retirement as justification, applying again by 14th January, or - if you marry by 14th January 2024, you can apply for a Marriage extension (still to your original Non-O visa)

Andychondriac was turned away from Surin Immigration sub-branch yesterday morning because he didn't present a 12 month statement of his account from his bank. He was applying for a 12 month extension of stay based upon retirement.

He returned in the afternoon but I am unaware of the outcome.

I would suggest that anyone applying for a 12 month extension, check first with the immigration office to determine what paperwork is required.

[Edit: In May this year I presented a four month statement of my account which was considered adequate.]

Last edited:
My understanding is that you have a Non immigrant O Visa which had previously been extended for retirement until roughly the 14th December 2023 (or thereabouts) and have now received a further 30 day extension (still to the original visa.)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no visa available based on a future marriage.

For a further 12 months extension, you may stick with retirement as justification, applying again by 14th January, or - if you marry by 14th January 2024, you can apply for a Marriage extension (still to your original Non-O visa)

Moving to another thread, 'Applying For Visa Based On Marriage'.

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading that IM/O told somebody that if your Bank Passbook s regularly updated ,you don t need to do a 12th mnth Bank statemnt.

I seem to recall reading that IM/O told somebody that if your Bank Passbook s regularly updated ,you don t need to do a 12th mnth Bank statemnt.

In May 2024, I'll either confirm or deny that. I've been updating my bank passbook regularly up to now.

Ive been told, they want a 12 month track record if you're applying on the monthly income basis.

12 x 65k pm is required for Immigration.

Some offices will accept a 12 month bank statement.

Jomtien require an additional bank certification....which in my case I can only get from Kasikorn bank in Pattaya Klang.

We just tried switching from 800,000 deposit to 65,000thb per month at Immigration Surin City. They wanted documentation of source. I provided proof that I get many times that amount from my major University monthly. They said it must be from ‘government’. Turned us down. I figure I’m losing about 40,000thb a year in interest income by this required permanent deposit. Oh well.

We just tried switching from 800,000 deposit to 65,000thb per month at Immigration Surin City. They wanted documentation of source. I provided proof that I get many times that amount from my major University monthly. They said it must be from ‘government’. Turned us down. I figure I’m losing about 40,000thb a year in interest income by this required permanent deposit. Oh well.

You got a bullshit answer and were fobbed off.

The funds do not have to be from 'government'.

Mine can be any permutation of occupational pension, investment income and state pension.

Note: The 800k does not have to be 'permanent'.....I think SI only requires 800k for 2 prior to the application (then you can drop to 400k). In Jomtien we have to maintain 800k for 5 months - 2 before and 3 after.

Mine can be any permutation of occupational pension, investment income and state pension.

Note: The 800k does not have to be 'permanent'.....I think SI only requires 800k for 2 prior to the application (then you can drop to 400k). In Jomtien we have to maintain 800k for 5 months - 2 before and 3 after.
+1

So what does one do to get past this without causing loss of face for the young woman who is the first point of contact? My wife won’t like me making waves.

So what does one do to get past this without causing loss of face for the young woman who is the first point of contact? My wife won’t like me making waves.

Obviously, growing a pair of balls is the first step.

You shouldn't be bothered about what your wife thinks, even less about loss of face of a low level Immigration employee who has given you duff information.

Understand the rules, prepare your paperwork and go boldly into Surin Immigration - without your wife; this is a retirement extension application and does not require her presence.

You shouldn't be bothered about what your wife thinks, even less about loss of face of a low level Immigration employee who has given you duff information.

Understand the rules, prepare your paperwork and go boldly into Surin Immigration - without your wife; this is a retirement extension application and does not require her presence.
No more said.

When I did my temp extension at Surin immigration, the young lady ( maybe the same Stargazer ? )
in the front reception gave me the same information as to the required 800 K in the Thai bank.
Seems there was a new directive from the powers above for them to be checking to see if you had the 800 K deposited in your account for the required five months.
I did not inquire as to where the source of monthly retirement income source had to originate from.

When it comes to achieving one's goals dealing with Thailand immigration being diplomatic achieves more, in my opinion.

When I did my temp extension at Surin immigration, the young lady ( maybe the same Stargazer ? )
in the front reception gave me the same information as to the required 800 K in the Thai bank.
Seems there was a new directive from the powers above for them to be checking to see if you had the 800 K deposited in your account for the required five months.
I did not inquire as to where the source of monthly retirement income source had to originate from.

When it comes to achieving one's goals dealing with Thailand immigration being diplomatic achieves more, in my opinion.

Diplomacy has achieved nothing so far for @Stargazer and what we want is for him to get the extension that he is entitled to.

Immigration will always be Gods and we should always treat them with respect. That does not mean that we cannot confidently approach them with an extension application (together with listed supporting papers) that meets their laid down requirements.

This from Key Visa in Pattaya:-

If you cannot obtain a pension income letter from your Embassy anymore and you wish to work with your income then this income this now must be pension income and cannot be derived from rental income in Thailand or overseas. You must now show you have transferred from your home country a minimum of 65,000 Thai baht per month for at least a 12 months period. You must supply immigration with 12 months bank statements from a Thai bank showing deposits and also 12 months bank statements from overseas showing the money transferred. Also now they wish to see how the income was derived eg: a pension statement from your home Country.

@lightfoot ...the 5 months rule is not new it is applied in several other Immigration offices - Surin Immigration is just joining the party.

Unfortunately, the wording on page 2 is not translated:-

This from Pattaya City Expats Club:-

• o Original Bank Passbook showing transactions for 12 months preceding the date of application (on the day of application do an ATM withdrawal then update bank book)
  • o Photo Copy of Bank Passbook(s) pages showing all the above transactions - the transaction on the date of application can be omitted from the photocopies
  • o Original - Bank Letter showing transfers from source outside of Thailand for the 12 months preceding the application date showing at least 65,000 baht in each month). Example of Bangkok Bank letter on the next page (*) This is a separate letter from the one verifying the account.
  • o Copy of document showing source of income may be requested by the Immigration Officer (e g., Statement of Pension amount from source (not over 6 months old)

Last edited:

Interesting, is surinfarang becoming confrontational ?
Who needs BS from fellow Westerners when there's enough to deal with in Amazing Thailand !

Back