Wanted shophouse / shop to lease Surin

Rob, do you rent In Lam Duan or do you and the misses own a place there? I'm asking as it would be good to know if you can upsticks and move into the city easier if need be?

I think he meant in Sangkha mate ,same shit different town ,once there was a guy who did a internet Cafe in Sangkha (full of kids hassle off the cops for skiving off school)and a pizza and Thai food open air restaurant ,his pizza was very good but same again not enough punters to keep it going ! The Thai food earn,t a small wage for his wife !
Why not open a Pizza restaurant in Surin center ,we could do with a good one !:tongue: Real Pizza mind Rob :wink:

There was a Pizza place in Sangka once? When was this pal?

whats your thoughts for a bar ?
Lamduan or Surin ?

Chokdee5

Would love to see a Pub in Lam Duan, as I'm only down the road, but im sure it wouldn't work. But Surin could really do with a real pub IMO.

we built a little apartment on the wifes land on the side of where her mama lives.
so it costs us nothing.

a sort of little studio.

the plan now is to find somewhere to rent for a while, see how it goes.

then in time get somewhere permanent for the shop and build somewhere out of town to live. a proper house .

ThumbUp6

we built a little apartment on the wifes land on the side of where her mama lives.
so it costs us nothing.

a sort of little studio.

the plan now is to find somewhere to rent for a while, see how it goes.

then in time get somewhere permanent for the shop and build somewhere out of town to live. a proper house .

ThumbUp6

Go into Surin and have a look mate, there's alot of development there. Theres new shops going up across from Lorenzino's some new ones going up on the Bypass too, all the new properties will probably ask for quite high rents though mate. Have a look around Soi Kola, Surin Plaza, the Bus station and opposite Big C etc, you might find something around there. I would personally set up shop in Surin if i were you mate. I've a friend who's got a few shops dotted around, I will ask her for you.

It's getting the staff, that's the problem....to pay high rent you have to have a good turnover , there's already to many Salons in Surin IMHO.

We looked at the green mango when it was just re-furbished, opposite the Fanang Corection , it was 8000Baht a month but the old guy who owns all the shops in that area wanted a years rent upfront , that was not a problem it was the smells from the place next door that put us offffffff...

The new shops opposite BIG C are nice but would anyone cross the busy road to get to them?

With the rumored construction of the NEW ROBSON MALL and it looks like it is for real at the intersection of the 216 and 214 you may want to wait for a prime location..

With the rumored construction of the NEW ROBSON MALL and it looks like it is for real at the intersection of the 216 and 214 you may want to wait for a prime location..

That's the first sencible thing you've said this year.:tongue:

Thats all well and good mate but as it stands, the area around there doesn't have much in the way of shops or townhouses unless you go into the surrounding villages. That area will be see alot of development in the future though.

Who wants to wait a year or more , for robinsons to open , if it will happen..?

Thats all well and good mate but as it stands, the area around there doesn't have much in the way of shops or townhouses unless you go into the surrounding villages. That area will be see alot of development in the future though.

How about the grass lean-to that workers have put up..:wink:

i think for us the thing would be to get somewhere central.

i'm still working so making a loss in the first few years wont break the bank.

if the time and opportunity comes to move to a better location in the future that is all down to the missus , she has a clear idea of what she wants to do and to provide.

she wants to aim for the young girls and ladies who read the mag's and want to use the brands they see advertised in the glossy's.

then when she is settled maybe i can start looking at that pub idea Chokdee5

Who wants to wait a year or more , for robinsons to open , if it will happen..?

I've heard its the Robinsons Orange Squash factory and has nothing to do with the Shopping mall.
The ladyboy that works in the plumbing section in IQ told me.:biggrin:

Stick to your housebuilding Bob.LMAO1

View attachment 5342

In Surin there are about 5 farang bars all but Mike Starbeams are struggling on making a pittance if anything - BUT there are ton,s of Thai bar restaurants full every night making a good profit Ton,s of them , so as I say if you open a Farang bar in Lamduan it will do next to nothing - BUT if you open a good Thai Restaurant\bar it could well work as there are limited Thai restaurants in Lamduan .
Lamduan has many government offices and also a large police station and a large school ,and a hospital a lot of punters for a GOOD Thai restaurant to work (Im sure it could) .
Why try to make a living out of 10 -15 farangs when there are 1000,s of Thais out there in need of a good eatery ?
Also a large percent of Farangs struggle to find a few baht for a good meal and a few beers ,or there to tight to buy it , they moan at paying 50 baht for a beer :tongue:

Last edited:
without the jokes please guys : whats the difference between a thai and farang bar ?

could a farang even open a thai bar ?

surely if a farang opens a bar no matter the decor it is going to be seen as farang ?

Lost1

A few serious questions (if you don't mind answering)

1) Have you looked at the boring legal stuff about running a business? A farang cannot open a bar (easily in thailand) they are all done either in Thai name or Thai Company. Speak to Mike, Starbeams. We pay &/or lose everything.

2) Is your lady working in a Salon now? and has she got whatever qualifications/experience is needed. Sorry to ask because I failed with the same business years ago.

3) I work in Sisaket. Have you considered there, because its smaller and not unlike Surin 5/7 years ago. Far more opportunities. It has only 3 farang places in a fairly large town?
ThumbUp6

i dont mind the questions Ivor
as i appreciate the answers i give will help me get good advice from you guys who have been here longer than i.

1. i have a Thai company already in place, the wife did run a little soi shop before deciding to concentrate on learning the salon stuff

2. she has just completed her training for hair and makeup, and with a lifetime of loving the girly stuff and a keen interest in the brands i think she will do ok, she has a young outlook and wants to use the best products and i think that will pay off in time.

3. i am almost ashamed to say i have never been to Sisaket, maybe i should go look around.
there are lots of areas around the country i would like to see and i have seen some lovely looking opportunities out there, it doesn't matter to me where i open a business as it is always going to be a "strange town" but i think she would like to open a place here first (Lamduan or Surin) where she knows people, and get into the swing of it, so to speak.

i do also like Alans idea
there are a lot of little thai restaraunts around there, but a new good one would be popular, especially with the market there also.
then again, to be completely honest, i would like a little bar, so that when she's working i can sit at the bar, drink beer ,play music and pool.
if the odd customer stops bye for a beer and a game all the better.
Chokdee5
i dont expect a bar anywhere to make a profit, breaking even would be an achievement and the target ithink

without the jokes please guys : whats the difference between a thai and farang bar ?

could a farang even open a thai bar ?

surely if a farang opens a bar no matter the decor it is going to be seen as farang ?

Lost1

A Thai bar will likely get more customers as it is directed toward the main customer base of the town/city you are in, which is plentiful.

A farang place will get mostly foreign expats and some tourists depending if the city is geared toward tourism.

The difference is a farang establishment usually offers western foods exclusively, or with some Thai dishes, and usually does not have a 'full' Thai menu. A farang place also usually plays western music and will show western TV shows and movies in English, and western sports in English mainly if it has a TV and cable. So, most Thais (excepting those that have lived or visited overseas and want/enjoy farang foods and environment for a change) are not really all that comfortable in a farang place (though, as said, some better traveled Thais will be, a small percentage). It's about comfort zones.

"could a farang even open a thai bar ?"

I would think it wouldn't work really, unless he was fairly fluent in Thai, or was just the banker and his Thai wife and/or family ran the place for him. Again it would be the comfort level and perception from the Thais, pricing would be a concern, nationalist feeling another I suspect as well (just an impression I have from many years here, and that certainly more so in the rural areas than in Bangkok).

"surely if a farang opens a bar no matter the decor it is going to be seen as farang?"

And will be seen as being more expensive, even if that is not so.Many Thais will not even come in to peruse the menu. A face thing I believe.Just my impressions and opinions from experience.

Mike

I think a proper sports pub would go down well in Surin. Thai/Farang snacks, mixture of both music and live bands, pool and snooker tables. And non stop sports on the TV. Would have to be decorated out properly though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back