Wanted shophouse / shop to lease Surin

Lamduan is not an easy place to open any business , customer wise i'm talking about ok we have stuck at it for 3 years and now we have a steady flow of regular punters inc ,police, teachers,government workers of all walks of life.

It's been a strugle but it's a living and no more.

Rob have you looked at the new house/shops opposite the Big mini-market there ready now at 5000 Per month.

just go acrross the main road along the side of Tesco and there on the right about 5 shops in all , one has already been taken he fits PSI tv .

Ideal for a bar there.

thanks Mike

my Thai language skills are nill and her family have no experience in running a restaraunt or anything remotely similar.

if i do decide to open anything in the area it will be a little bar, just to keep myself occupied.
have a beer , toddle around, surf the web and welcome the odd farang who happens to stumble by.
keep the overheads low and accept a small loss every month.

when she opens her shop i am going to need something to keep me amused !!!
Grin_Jump1

cheers Ray

the missus is in Surin looking today
i think she is meeting up with Thai.

i will ask her if she has had a look there.

thankyou5

I think a proper sports pub would go down well in Surin. Thai/Farang snacks, mixture of both music and live bands, pool and snooker tables. And non stop sports on the TV. Would have to be decorated out properly though.

Actually I do think that could be a good idea, but, Steve the previous 'owner' of the Sportsman Pub was just here. We were talking and he said basically every time he left for the UK he'd come back and his Thai wife would have changed the place into something she wanted rather than the 'Sports' pub he had envisioned. He had it kitted out with sports jerseys of famous clubs and other paraphernalia. She took it all down and changed the 'theme' of the place. Another problem is you have plenty of Thai style sports pubs around. They are cheap as hell, have large screen TVs for the games and such, and mainly Thai snacks and foods. They are hard to compete with really, as they seem to get the better deals on rent and foodstuffs, whatever, and seem to need to make only a small profit. But they always seem to be filled up for the games at night. They do a good volume, so can charge less and still do well.

Your farang style sports pub would need to attract a lot of Thais as well as the local farangs. Otherwise, it will not work for a profit. As you said (rob.doc) you just want to sit with some friends and drink beer and are not worried about making a profit but just breaking even... then it may work, break even, or at a bit of a loss. It would depend on your monthly costs (rent, staff, electric, water) and how much of the profit you drink yourself and 'buy' for your drinking friends. Get some young sexy waitstaff and allow freelancers who are decent looking to sit around with a drink all night hitting on the customers, and it may work well. :)

Mike

p.s. But, if you (rob.doc) just want to sit around watching sports on the TV with friends drinking beer with some snacks... why waste the money, time and effort making your own place? Just find a Thai venue with the sports, or a farang place, and go drink with your friends there and save yourself any hassles or headaches trying to run your own place. Or, just take turns going to your friends' houses and your own house to watch the games on a rotating basis.

Last edited:
Actually I do think that could be a good idea, but, Steve the previous 'owner' of the Sportsman Pub was just here. We were talking and he said basically every time he left for the UK he'd come back and his Thai wife would have changed the place into something she wanted rather than the 'Sports' pub he had envisioned. He had it kitted out with sports jerseys of famous clubs and other paraphernalia. She took it all down and changed the 'theme' of the place. Another problem is you have plenty of Thai style sports pubs around. They are cheap as hell, have large screen TVs for the games and such, and mainly Thai snacks and foods. They are hard to compete with really, as they seem to get the better deals on rent and foodstuffs, whatever, and seem to need to make only a small profit. But they always seem to be filled up for the games at night. They do a good volume, so can charge less and still do well.

Your farang style sports pub would need to attract a lot of Thais as well as the local farangs. Otherwise, it will not work for a profit. As you said (rob.doc) you just want to sit with some friends and drink beer and are not worried about making a profit but just breaking even... then it may work, break even, or at a bit of a loss. It would depend on your monthly costs (rent, staff, electric, water) and how much of the profit you drink yourself and 'buy' for your drinking friends. Get some young sexy waitstaff and allow freelancers who are decent looking to sit around with a drink all night hitting on the customers, and it may work well. :)

Mike

p.s. But, if you (rob.doc) just want to sit around watching sports on the TV with friends drinking beer with some snacks... why waste the money, time and effort making your own place? Just find a Thai venue with the sports, or a farang place, and go drink with your friends there and save yourself any hassles or headaches trying to run your own place. Or, just take turns going to your friends' houses and your own house to watch the games on a rotating basis.

A bit like the Pattaya Beer Garden, not in Lamduan Think1

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit like the Pattaya Beer Garden,in Lamduan Think1

Strange name for a beer garden in Lamduan! I've never seen the 'Lamduan Beer Garden' in Pattaya. :) Is it Thai or farang run and owned? I go through there ocassionaly on the way to our village house. I actually like Lamduan. Just recently saw the new 7-11 and Tesco Express on the corner there. I take the right there to get up to my village.

Mike

Last edited:
thanks again guys

plenty of food for thought there.

i do like the idea of a little "hole in the wall" bar
nothing big and fancy, a pool table, music and a few bar stools

i will look further into it this time home and take it from there.
the only problem i can see is similar to Steve's how to keep the place going when i am away.

cheers for all the advice guys Chokdee5

thanks again guys

the only problem i can see is similar to Steve's how to keep the place going when i am away.

Well, here's some more food for the thinking. :) A single wide shopfront will cost anywhere from 2500 to 6500 baht (or more) a month. Cheapest would be deep on a side soi in an older, less popular area of town. If on any 'main' road frontage the price will be at the 6000 or so (more or less somewhat) baht range. The newer the building the higher on the scale it will be. The closer to the downtown area you get where other bars and restaurants are, the dearer it will be. The thing is it is getting hard to find the 'deals' these days, as the lesser affluent Thais want these for their own small businesses if they have no family owned land or building in town. The only chance to get a cheap place would be to keep your white ass away while your wife finds the place and rents it in her name. :) And she should dress down when going to find and negotiate the rental, as looking even moderately affluent will raise the cost. 5555. Just some thoughts added.

Mike

thanks again guys

Hole in the wall will have a few locals pop around when your there to front it mate !
When your back at work Im not so sure .

yeah Alan

although im not that worried about numbers when i'm away,
more a case of having someone reliable to ensure the place
is open in case anyone wants to pop in.

nothing worse for the business or the customer if you cant rely
on the place to keep regular hours.

Strange name for a beer garden in Lamduan! I've never seen the 'Lamduan Beer Garden' in Pattaya. :) Is it Thai or farang run and owned? I go through there ocassionaly on the way to our village house. I actually like Lamduan. Just recently saw the new 7-11 and Tesco Express on the corner there. I take the right there to get up to my village.

Mike

I know Ban Nong yow, my gf, aunt sow, had the salon there god rest her soul.

yeah Alan

nothing worse for the business or the customer if you cant rely
on the place to keep regular hours.

Very true. You are getting some good 1st hand advice from people in 'the know' and I hope it helps you make the right decision.

cheers Ray,

my good lady was round there yesterday, she also went to Surin.

Thai took her to look at the new shophouse's being built just along from Starbeam.
directly across from the new coffee shop.

she has contacted the owner and it looks like she will be setting up shop there.

so when any of you guys want to meet up to watch the footie or just have a natter at Starbeams or Coffee Corner you can send your ladies round for a bit of pampering.
Gift3

seriously but guys thanks for all the good advice, as always.

once i have her up and running and settled in , i will look at that "hole in the wall"
Chokdee5

cheers Ray,

my good lady was round there yesterday, she also went to Surin.

Thai took her to look at the new shophouse's being built just along from Starbeam.
directly across from the new coffee shop.

she has contacted the owner and it looks like she will be setting up shop there.

so when any of you guys want to meet up to watch the footie or just have a natter at Starbeams or Coffee Corner you can send your ladies round for a bit of pampering.
Gift3

seriously but guys thanks for all the good advice, as always.

once i have her up and running and settled in , i will look at that "hole in the wall"
Chokdee5

Good luck to her, is there enough passers bye to warent a salon there ??

Who's Thai ??

Thanks Karakara, can you post some pics and rental prices im interested.

i am indeed speaking of your good lady Karakara
sorry about the spelling !

there is no big passing trade to speak of, but with the new coffe shop, starbeams, etc. in the vicinity and an apartment building bing built nearby it hopefully will be a good place for her to start and build a client base.

the rents arent too bad i believe for a new build 3 storey in town it's 10kbaht

she liked the units in Lamduan also, however other than her friends and family in the town and perhaps the odd schoolgirl passing bye coming in to buy a chapstick there isn't a big demand for the end of the market she wants to aim at.

thank your other half for her help Karakara, cheers

You can sell alot of Chapstiks in a week you know mate.LMAO1

I'll pop along to starbeams for breakie later and have a nosey. :tongue:

you are right on the money with the chapsticks Ray

im sure she would have a good passing trade with all the older schoolgirls coming in for a nosey around the chapsticks and lipsticks, it was a tough decision for her to make !!

the units across from Coffe Corner will be ready in the next 2 weeks or so i believe.

so i am hoping to have her installed and up and running before the end of Feb's.

however due to previous experience i wont be surprised if it takes a little longer.

//flag

Back