Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

Nie8W8J.jpg

If the average rainfall in Surin during August is 256mm and we are over a third the way through the month I have recorded less than 35mm

This was the only rain I have received more than 1mm:

AR5QARv.jpg

That on top of May-June-July being way below normal (probably closer to being nil) it appears we're fairly screwed without a couple of monsoons passing through. :anguished:

That on top of May-June-July being way below normal (probably closer to being nil) it appears we're fairly screwed without a couple of monsoons passing through. :anguished:
I would agree with that assessment. That is why I have coerced and cajoled SWMBO into having our own deep water well. I do not see things getting better anytime soon and maybe a year at the earliest before we get a guaranteed flow of water from the water tower. If the hospital needs 1,000,000 litres a day, and there are two other hospitals that need water too, what chance is there that mere mortals will have water in the taps?

Keep the faith boys the man is coming but not until 19 August. Until then it's all cows, buffalo, chickens and ducks for themself.;;bad simle;;

รมว.สาธารณสุข กลับไป รัฐมนตรีช่วยเกษตรฯทั้งอธิบดี รองอธิบดี พรึบตามมาเลยทีเดียว ยินดีต้อนรับครับผม

รัฐมนตรีช่วยว่าการกระทรวงเกษตรและสหกรณ์ ลงพื้นที่แก้ปัญหาโรงพยาบาลสุรินทร์ขาดแคลนน้ำอย่างเร่งด่วน ก่อนนายกรัฐมนตรีลงพื้นที่ 19 สิงหาคมนี้

The. Public Health goes back to the minister to help agriculture, both commissioner deputy deputy blessed. Come and follow me. Welcome.

The Minister helps that the ministry of agriculture and, is on the ground to solve the hospital hospital. Shortage of water urgently before the prime minister on the 19th of August.
·
Rate this translation

THAINEWS.PRD.GO.TH

รัฐมนตรีช่วยว่าการกระทรวงเกษตรและสหกรณ์ ลงพื้นที่แก้ปัญหาโรงพยาบาลสุรินทร์ขาดแคลนน้ำ

Correction. Water was found at 12 metres not 10 metres as stated. We are 2 metres above paddy field level so say the water table starts at 10 metres. The borer said there is good water below 20 metres or so and he will stop at 30 metres. There is no PVC lining below 10 metres and the drill fits within that diameter. The hole is lined by the 'rocks' below 10 metres. I guess it is loose soil/clay/mud for the 1st 10 metres that requires the lining. Thereafter, they are drilling into something more solid that does not require a liner. Wait and see how much 1" pipe goes down the hole.

It's only my theory but if the casing stops at 10 metres where the "shit water" is then that water will mix with the good water (and being more dense will likely find it's way to the 20 metre level). There will be no casing to hold the shit water back. Surely it would be better to take the casing to 20 metres depth?

It's only my theory but if the casing stops at 10 metres where the "shit water" is then that water will mix with the good water (and being more dense will likely find it's way to the 20 metre level). There will be no casing to hold the shit water back. Surely it would be better to take the casing to 20 metres depth?

The drill bit was changed after 10 metres and a smaller drill went down inside the lining to continue the job. As far as I can see, 8 metres of 3/4" PVC piping, with the venturi device, went down the hole followed by 10 metres of 1" PVC piping, both joined together. By my reckoning. the piping goes down 18 metres and bore goes down to 30 metres. Maybe the 3/4" and the 1" PVC piping seal the bore or maybe it does not. It is a single jet system and water is pumped down the hole to the venturi device at the bottom. I had a 20 minute shut eye at this critical juncture so I am piecing the info together. The pump is now running and they are adjusting the flow rate. The filter man is coming tomorrow to make the connection to the pump and the filter and finish off the system. Today, I carved out a 1.5" x 1.5" channel across the 7 metre wide concrete drive for a 1" PVC pipe to carry the water from the pump to the filter/storage system on the other side of the drive. It was 5 hours of solid toil! I deserved my 20 minute shut eye.

DSCN2125.JPG

After 15 minutes the pump is producing clear water.

DSCN2123.JPG

Close up of the clear water ..............................and I think it will be become cleared too after the well settles down.

DSCN2123 (2).JPG

I have selected a 10 inch filter that will contain a mix of activated charcoal and magnesium. The cost for the filter, to include fitting and finishing off the system, is 14,000 baht.

I really fail to see why you need a filter when taking water from the depths. Never had a problem in 17 years without one, 14,000Baht is quite a number of bottles of Bells.:blush:

I really fail to see why you need a filter when taking water from the depths. Never had a problem in 17 years without one, 14,000Baht is quite a number of bottles of Bells.:blush:
One of the places that I stayed in here, had a bore-hole. The (SSK) water furred-up shower heads/taps all the time so I think the idea of having a filter, is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a filter under the kitchen sink which operated for 13 years for both well water and government water. The new kitchen fitters disconnected it and reconnected but it was a lash up and leaked. I removed it from the system and never got around to reconnecting it. In truth I would suggest that the filter would be more appropriate for the government water than deep well water.

I have a filter under the kitchen sink which operated for 13 years for both well water and government water. The new kitchen fitters disconnected it and reconnected but it was a lash up and leaked. I removed it from the system and never got around to reconnecting it. In truth I would suggest that the filter would be more appropriate for the government water than deep well water.

Better safe than sorry. I feel happier with a filter on the system and I have always wanted to fit one to the inlet side of the Government supplied water but never got around to it. I cleaned my tank six months ago and already there is 2 to 3 cm of sludge in the bottom. The Government supplied water has never been clean and the quality varies from day to day. I am happy to be saying goodbye to what is now a non-existent supply and changing to a source over which I have full control. Don't forget, stage 2 of our system will add a Reverse Osmosis filtration system to provide safe drinking water. The filter that is being fitted compliments and is part of this system - even if it cost mega bottles of Bells.

I had just finished typing the earlier entry to find that they had disassembled the pipes to the borehole and removed the inner piping. They were not happy with the rate of flow and wanted to draw water for a deeper depth. I can confirm, as I have seen with my own eyes, that the first section is now 12 metres of 3/4" pipe with a rough stone filter on the end. This was inserted in the hole to be joined by 10 metres of 1" pipe. The venturi device was used to connect both sections of the pipe together, i.e. its approximately halfway down the bore. So there you have it. I am using a single jet pump and pumping water from 22 metres below the surface with a good flow rate. The bore extends to 30 metres so I guess its fair to say the water is coming from between 22 to 30 metres down.

Cost so far. The cost of the Mitsan DP-301 pump with pipes and fittings was 5,800 baht. My wife gave the drilling team some beer and 5,000 baht which included a tip. The initial quote was 4,000 baht which was honoured. In addition, 1,000 baht for 2,500 litres of water to enable drilling operations. My wife is very happy with the work that was done even if they tore up the front garden after getting bogged down trying to leave. "Mai pen rai", the gardener will sort it later - sigh. Slabs to support the pump 350 baht and electrics yet to be sorted 1,000 baht. Total cost for the installation of the pump: 13, 150 baht. As agreed earlier today, the cost of the filtration system plus installation is another 14,000 baht (which I am happy to pay). Finally, I bought a 500 litre holding tank for the filtered water at a cost of 3,800 baht plus taps and fittings for the installation say 4,500 baht. Therefore, the total cost will be in the order of 31,650 baht. I will use my existing Hitachi pump to circulate the filtered water around the house.

P.S. Three neighbours were also impressed with what happened in our garden today and have placed orders for their own boreholes to be drilled over the next week. Seems they share our view that the Government water supply is a lost cause and unlikely to happen anytime soon. @Rice should note that one of them who has placed an order is well known to him and his wife.

Example of water filter, prices do not include activated charcoal or magnesium which would cost a further 2,000+ baht on top.

20190811_151252.jpg

Example of supplementary Reverse Osmosis drinking water filter ....................

20190811_151221.jpg

Available from HomePro.

Update:

The guys that drill the hole found water at 32 meter. The cost for the drilling was 4500 thb. On top of that 12000 for the pump and the install of it. It is an Mitsani AD-301 deep well pump. I don't know the price of that pump, and my internet are so slow I not bother to google it now. But the pump and installment seems to be a bit expensive. But what the heck, at least we have water now. The flow looks ok, and she says the water are clean and good. Filter will I take care of when I get home in the end of the month.

Update 2:

I was told by one of the kids that the price was 4500 for the drilling and 12000 for the pump and installation.

When I now spoke with my GF, she said it was 4500 for the drilling, and 8000 for the rest. So in total 12500thb for the whole project so far. About the same as @nomad97.

Is there any company in Surin that can analyze water samples?
Could be nice to know the quality of the water. And based on that information, decide if to buy a filter or not.

Update 2:

I was told by one of the kids that the price was 4500 for the drilling and 12000 for the pump and installation.

When I now spoke with my GF, she said it was 4500 for the drilling, and 8000 for the rest. So in total 12500thb for the whole project so far. About the same as @nomad97.

Could be nice to know the quality of the water. And based on that information, decide if to buy a filter or not.
Not checked that yet. Been a lot of effort to get the water done. All credit to your wife for doing it all by herself. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Update 2:

See: https://www.sgs.co.th/en/agriculture-food/seed-and-crop/soil-leaf-and-water-services/water-testing
https://www.alsglobal.com/en/locations/asia-pacific/asia/thailand

or buy a water test kit from Amazon

upload_2019-8-12_20-34-25.png

or Lazada

upload_2019-8-12_20-35-37.png

upload_2019-8-12_20-37-55.png

A quick point in favour of Nomad's filtration of groundwater: Surin City's piped water is soft enough to enable me to work myself into a lather whenever I shower (Ooooh errrr… Missus!) Now that I have borehole water feeding the showers, the lather is quite difficult to create, indicating that we have hard water now. I expect to see scale forming in kettles (and it will be on the shower-heaters too, plus the automatic washing machine whenever the temperature set exceeds 30C for sure. It will also appear on the car as white spots unless I chammy it dry every time, and taps and shower screens will be affected too.

The usual filters (Carbon/charcoal, ceramic, UV, media such as fibre) won't remove the calcium deposits that cause those hard water spots, Reverse Osmosis will (though it does waste a lot of water in the process) leaving an ioniser filter as the best option for the volumes involved. If this lot goes on for months, I may end up installing one at home, along with an extended set-up for the kitchen including RO for a separate drinking water tap/faucet which I'd like to incorporate a chiller too. (RO water tends to hang around for quite a while due to the time that the process takes, and water at 28/40C is - in my opinion - unpleasant when looking for something refreshing! Or I could just have a beer instead... hmmm)

I've had a 6" bore down 38 metres for the past 20 years. The water is extremely good other than the calcium.
The calcium blocks the toilet cistern and just about everything else if not in continuous use.
I fitted a softener along with a charcoal and 2 resin filters..one resin filter is part of the softener package. The black box, the other part of the softener is 2/3rds full of salt and almost completely removes/dissolves the calcium.
I once had an industrial size reverse osmosis unit in the setup. The biggest waste of 200k baht ever. Choked up every month and membranes don't last 12 months.
If you think a little R.O. on your kitchen wall's going to help, go ahead and try it for the experience.
The underground water is rough but with a softener and proper maintenance of filters it beats the hell out of your dirty townwater.
I have 8k litres of rainwater for cooking and drinking (boiled).
Over the 20 years or so, I've only fitted 2 submersible pumps. The American made was the first and lasted about a year. The cheap Chinese made was the replacement and it's still in use.
As for not using pvc casing all the way down the bore hole..I bet you do one day!
The bore water is pumped in to a 2,000 litre holding tank and automatically pumped through the filters in to a 1,000 litre tank that is pressurised to the house with full pressure to every outlet.

A quick point in favour of Nomad's filtration of groundwater: Surin City's piped water is soft enough to enable me to work myself into a lather whenever I shower (Ooooh errrr… Missus!) Now that I have borehole water feeding the showers, the lather is quite difficult to create, indicating that we have hard water now. I expect to see scale forming in kettles (and it will be on the shower-heaters too, plus the automatic washing machine whenever the temperature set exceeds 30C for sure. It will also appear on the car as white spots unless I chammy it dry every time, and taps and shower screens will be affected too.

The usual filters (Carbon/charcoal, ceramic, UV, media such as fibre) won't remove the calcium deposits that cause those hard water spots, Reverse Osmosis will (though it does waste a lot of water in the process) leaving an ioniser filter as the best option for the volumes involved. If this lot goes on for months, I may end up installing one at home, along with an extended set-up for the kitchen including RO for a separate drinking water tap/faucet which I'd like to incorporate a chiller too. (RO water tends to hang around for quite a while due to the time that the process takes, and water at 28/40C is - in my opinion - unpleasant when looking for something refreshing! Or I could just have a beer instead... hmmm)

Last night I filled our 2,000 litre tank with our new water supply from the well. This is pumped into the house under pressure. When I showered and shampooed this morning I though the water felt clean, smelt good and produced a very reasonable lather when I shampooed and soaped myself. I enjoyed the experience. My wife has just taken her shower and shampoo, a more elaborate business than mine, and I was called into the shower to witness her results (a rare treat indeed). She was delighted with the soap and shampoo and said much nicer than the town's water supply and as easy to lather too. Maybe we have hit a 'sweet' supply of water with minimum calcium levels. Will get the water tested and checked out properly when our 'filter' man comes around this morning.

Last night I filled our 2,000 litre tank with our new water supply from the well. This is pumped into the house under pressure. When I showered and shampooed this morning I though the water felt clean, smelt good and produced a very reasonable lather when I shampooed and soaped myself. I enjoyed the experience. My wife has just taken her shower and shampoo, a more elaborate business than mine, and I was called into the shower to witness her results (a rare treat indeed). She was delighted with the soap and shampoo and said much nicer than the town's water supply and as easy to lather too. Maybe we have hit a 'sweet' supply of water with minimum calcium levels. Will get the water tested and checked out properly when our 'filter' man comes around this morning.
Should we call you now ‘Soapy’?

Nice to hear a good result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back